Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bug Net: Zipper or Bottom Entry

I'm sure it's been discussed before. It's not an easy topic to search though, because both "Bug" and "Net" are too short for the filter. Anyway, I'm debating the options. I prefer lighter weight options, but I don't thing a vertical zipper is that much heavier than a long loop of shock cord and a cordlock. I'm concerned with the bottom entry keeping out mosquitos. I'm in Florida, so we have them pretty much year round. I also don't think I can rely on an underquilt to cover the bottom of the hammock. I'm leaning to a one side vertical zipper because of this, but the simplicity of the bottom entry is tempting.

If you've used both types in mosquito plagued areas, I'd like to hear your thoughts to help me make up my mind.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    I've never tried a "fronkey" style, but it does seem easier to use than messing with zippers. For the record, both hammocks i own use integrated zippered bug netting, and one of them has a zipper only on one side (my Darien)...similar to the Dutch Ware "Half Zipped." i actually prefer laying/lounging/sleeping in the hammock with no net as it feels more open, better visibility and FAR easier to adjust the under quilt in the middle of the night when it is cold and you don't want to get out of a warm cozy hammock. With my Darien, i can't adjust the UQ on the sewn side of the bug net . During bug season though, I wouid never consider not having a bug net, period. I am thinking of getting a netless hammock from Dutch with the knotty mod to see how i like that, along with a "fronkey" style bug net.
    Last edited by Tyroler Holzhacker; 03-27-2019 at 08:27.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I camp in Florida and use only Fronkey style bug net. It's simply draped over the ridgeline and NO SHOCK CORD at the bottom; it just hangs open. The only attachment points are at the ends of the hammock. No mosquitoes get in and I toss & turn a lot during the night. Easy ingress & egress. I have a few friends in Florida who do the same. Just letting you know if you want a lighter solution.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HMLCK View Post
    I prefer lighter weight options, but I don't thing a vertical zipper is that much heavier than a long loop of shock cord and a cordlock. I'm concerned with the bottom entry keeping out mosquitos. I'm in Florida, so we have them pretty much year round. I also don't think I can rely on an underquilt to cover the bottom of the hammock. I'm leaning to a one side vertical zipper because of this, but the simplicity of the bottom entry is tempting.
    I have a side vertical zip. It works great. Just go with what you want. No there is no real difference in weight. I had issues in Canada once were mosquitoes were an issue every night inside the bug net. As they rose from the ground they would bump around the bottom until they found the open fold/gap and then they were up and trapped inside the bug netting. Not an issue with normal quantities of mosquitoes but with the hoards in North Ontario it was a problem with out 100% coverage.

My experience at least.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    For sure with the full zip bug nets, you do feel more secure when in really bug infested areas...Permethrin helps with this as well.

If you've used both types in mosquito plagued areas, I'd like to hear your thoughts to help me make up my mind.
    I've used zippered bug nets on my HH Expedition and on my wife's Ridgerunner. On my current setup I favor the bottom entry shown in the attached photo, which shows hammock, underquilt and bug net installed (the hang was sub optimal, so the hammock ridgeline looks slack but it worked). I rarely bother to tighten the shock cord on the bottom. Whether it's completely sealed up against the bottom of the hammock or not doesn't seem to matter much. I've not been bitten from below.

While I can sometimes see or hear bugs flying around outside the netting, they do not find their way inside. The advantage of a separate bug net is the ability to take it or not depending on the season. It's also simple to reach out from the hammock and adjust the underquilt since the net envelops both. Getting in and out is easy and straightforward as well. I don't have a strong preference, but I wouldn't hesitate to suggest the bottom entry as an effective solution for a gathered end hammock that has no bug net.

bugnet.jpg
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Greylock 3/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    I started with a Fronkey-style and have since switched to a zippered (Dutchware Gear Half-Zip) and prefer the zippered.

I used both in heavy mosquito/bug areas (Boundary Waters Canoe Area) and both worked to keep them off of me.

I particularly like the half-zipped since it's easy to unzip half and roll it up on the side. I always struggled with the Fronkey-style because the one I had (also purchased form Dutchware Gear) required you to unhook the suspension and pull it through the end of the net if you wanted to lounge without the net on. It wasn't terrible when I used whoopie slings and a dutch hook to, but since switching to a Becket hitch, it got to be more of an inconvenience.

The set-up also seems less bulky with the smaller amount of bug netting material on the zippered hammock vs. the Fronkey-style that went around everything.

Thanks for all the input. Particularly those of you who have no bug issues with the Fronkey.

I've been making things DIY as much as possible until I get some things figured out. That, combined with the sewing required pushes me toward a separate net. As much as I've though about it, I might just make a Fronkey style. If it works well for me, great, I'm done. If not, I can sew the bottom shut and add the zipper.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    As much as I've though about it, I might just make a Fronkey style. If it works well for me, great, I'm done. If not, I can sew the bottom shut and add the zipper.
    If you don't use an underquilt and start getting bites through the hammock with a bottom-entry bugnet, you could also add an underquilt protector made from netting.

While I prefer zippered hammocks for various reasons, I have to admit that bottom-entry socks are better at preventing flying bug entering the hammock together with you. On the other hand, crawling bugs can enter the hammock from below. I guess you have to try both and see what works best in your situation.

I can't say that I've given crawling bugs much thought. Guess I'll have to add that to my concerns. Do the Fronkey nets usually drag the ground, or is this more an issue of plants growth between the chosen trees?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast