Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HMLCK View Post
    I can't say that I've given crawling bugs much thought.
    I haven't used my bottom-entry bugnet outdoors a lot, but I had spiders and caterpillars get into the hammock. Seeing that this was just from using it a couple of hours in the afternoon in my garden in a region not particular known for bugs, I'd probably be extra careful in a place like Florida

Do the Fronkey nets usually drag the ground, or is this more an issue of plants growth between the chosen trees?
    This depends on how well you cut it. I have found that it's much more difficult than expected to develop the perfect shape, where entry and exit is easy, and insect protection is sufficient but there's no contact with the ground. I'm re-doing my bottom-entry bugnet for the 5th time, I think

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Do the Fronkey nets usually drag the ground, or is this more an issue of plants growth between the chosen trees?
    I make my Fronkey bug net using the full width of the netting. Then I set it up on my hammock, making sure the hammock is at chair height. Finally, I trim the bottom of the net about 6" above the ground. Usually I cut about a foot off the bottom.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I love Fronkey bug nets. Never had a single insect inside, but I do spray my bugnet with permethrin. When I first started out hammocking with zippered bugnets, I was surprised at how clouds of mosquitoes would just wait for me to unzip the bugnet, then they would enter the bugnet and torment me the rest of the night.

Mosquitoes are used to attacking directly, and they just can't seem to figure out that they have to fly down to the bottom entry, then up, to get at their meal (you).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Trimming after a test fit is a great idea!

Hutzelbein, do you have a pattern or tips based on your iterations and improvements?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    No, unfortunately I don't have a pattern. Yet. But I can tell you what went wrong so you don't have to make the same mistakes

The first mistake was not figuring in that I would have to cut a considerable amount of fabric off the tips. I started with a trapeze shape, but since I didn't want velcro openings because I have had velcro damage my hammocks in the past, I had to cut off the tips to attach draw string sleeves. Cutting shortened the ridgeline by several inches, and while the sleeves added back some length, they couldn't make up for the total loss. My sock kind of works with an 11' hammock, but is really better suited for a 10.5' hammock now.

Also, you can make the sock fit better, if you know exactly how long your ridgeline and your hammock body are. Don't trust manufacturers specs. Measure it yourself. If you don't like doing the math, also measure the deepest sag and don't forget that your underquilt will add a couple of inches. I actually don't know, yet, how many inches to add for the perfect fit. Hence the 5th trial

Another thing that I would change with the next sock is that I would make the bottom opening a bit longer. I like to keep my water bottle next to the hammock; and since I mostly use the bug sock indoors for everynight sleeping, I also reach out frequently for other stuff like a book, lights, etc. With the current opening, I have to reach around instead of straight down. This is probably not an issue for outdoor users, but I will either make the opening a bit longer - or move it off center towards the head end with my next sock.

The most annoying thing was the excessive width of the sock. I started with the full fabric width, probably 60". This turned out way too wide for my hammock set-up (I like a fairly long ridgeline, so have less sag than many others). I have shortened it twice already, but will do so a third time. Otherwise the net lies on the ground, providing a convenient way to get into the hammock for crawling bugs.

Another construction issue that came up with my design is that I couldn't make the bottom-entry channel as I had planned to do. I thought it would be as easy as folding and sewing the channel as a last step, as you do with stuff sacks, but hadn't figured in that the trapeze shape would mess up the geometry. I couldn't keep the channel from twisting badly. In the end I made two seperate channels; one on each side. This also saved me from making a dedicated opening for the shock cord. And I actually found it convenient to have the cord come out close to the head for adjusting purposes.

I'd say trimming it after the test is a good idea, but don't forget to factor in the extra width you will need for folding the channel. However, you could always make a channel out of an extra strip of fabric and sew it on if you were to cut too much.

Good luck with your project!

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Who makes the Fronkey style net that has a velcro closure on one end such that the whole net can slide to one end of the hammock to make lounging easier? I find my traditional Fronkey net difficult to deal with in lounger mode.

Thanks Hutzelbein. The channel on each side is a great idea, and will no doubt save me frustration! Zero impact on performance of the channel, and way easier to sew. I'll keep the rest in mind as well.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, HammockGear netless
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ series
    Suspension
    straps and beetles
    this one from Simply Light Designs has a narrow opening on one end and wider opening on the other making sliding it to one end simple.
    https://simplylightdesigns.com/produ...entry-sock-net

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bcliff View Post
    this one from Simply Light Designs has a narrow opening on one end and wider opening on the other making sliding it to one end simple.
    https://simplylightdesigns.com/produ...entry-sock-net
    I have a new one of these on the way now. Great piece of gear! (I say that because I've had one before)
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast