Hammock
    Chameleon 2.4
    Tarp
    WB Mini/Super Flys
    Insulation
    LL Reaper&WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'
    Warbonnet makes the Minifly...the first one on your list.

I can vouch for it. I've got one and it has kept me dry in a nasty storm. You will not be sorry if you get that one.

Tough choice and you've listed nearly everything. The Xenon Quest is what I chose from a similar list, mostly because I caught it on sale which tipped the scales in its favor. I find it has plenty of coverage and have used it in several small rain showers and one monster t-storm. I'll attach a couple backyard photos of it set up over my bridge hammock.

sideview.jpg endview.jpg
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Jared makes great stuff and is very open to customization. If I were in the market I'd have him make me a tarp similar to KitsapCowboy's K.I.S.S. Glasgow 2.0. You may want to add additional length or have your storm flaps larger. Up to you, but price wise and quality wise you can't go wrong with Simply Light Designs.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HamNCheeseShoes View Post
    I am still curious about the Simply Light Design tarps, so please chime in with any experience you have. I will drop them an email later and hopefully get some more info to share with you all.
    Jared will custom something for you, too, if there's things you see with other tarps that you like, but not one of them that has it all. I've got his cheap and very light asym tarp which I can tell you is extremely easy to use and will keep you dry, though I'd recommend an UQP or summer sock to be employed with it. While adding those may seem to defeat the purpose of having the extra light tarp, many use them anyway, so its more of a waste to have the bigger hex tarps, especially one with doors, if you're still using the UQP or sock. I presume your 1.6 hexon hammock is netless, that's why I include the summer sock as an option.

Personally, I go between the small asym and my larger Toxaway with doors.

Quote Originally Posted by HamNCheeseShoes View Post
    ...I quickly found out that a hammock set up is going to be heavier than my normal tent load out...
    There can be more parts to the hammock setup, and that can start to add up to more. However, I do want to draw the distinction that a hammock setup should be slightly lighter than a normal tent setup. Depends on the choices of equipment, of course, but it should at least be close. These are the direct comparisons and weight differences...

netted hammock (including suspension) = mesh inner tent (hammock should be lighter, but can be close to even)
    tarp/tieouts/stakes = rainfly & stakes (on average, should be about the same - obviously a larger tarp can be heavier, but you have much more "space" under the tarp than you do in a tent)
    underquilt = pad (avg inflatable is about same as avg UQ)
    topquilt = sleeping bag (obviously, a TQ should be much lighter than a bag)

The stuff you might add to the hammock setup should still be pretty light and shouldn't throw you so much over the same weight as the tent setup as to affect your knees so much more adversely. There are some clear weight savings by having a no net hammock (I haven't needed a net, but that's based upon my typical camping in the Ga/NC mountains), using smaller tarps (unless you're adding back other stuff as suggested), and using a TQ instead of your bag (you can, of course, use your sleeping bag and pad in a hammock).

Happy to hear what you think makes it more heavy than a tent setup and we can figure out what I'm missing from that comparison.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie and LL TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I'd choose silpoly over silnylon, 11' over 12' and some form of door/beak over none. Can't comment on DCF as i haven't fallen down that hole yet.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Yep, some additional clear weight savings by going Dyneema Cuben Fiber - a lot of you will be lighter as a result. Been peering down that hole a while and have yet to fall in.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Yep, some additional clear weight savings by going Dyneema Cuben Fiber - a lot of you will be lighter as a result. Been peering down that hole a while and have yet to fall in.
    [waves Hi from the bottom of that hole]

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Another option, EE Paladin.

Approaching DCF weight for significantly less $$$, but other than that I can't say zilch about it. Never owned, used or even seen one.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by reznix View Post
    I'd choose silpoly over silnylon, 11' over 12' and some form of door/beak over none. Can't comment on DCF as i haven't fallen down that hole yet.
    Yes to all three.

I just fell down that hole, but have a month more to wait before I get my hands on it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12