Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch winter
    Insulation
    Hang Tight quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings on

Pull out variations on a Chameleon

Anyone doing anything outside of the typical head and foot end pull outs? I think this year I may pull both sides of the head end out instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The pullouts are designed to be where they are, and I'm not sure why you would change them. What advantage do you hope to gain?

I don't think you would find any hammock on the market with pull outs only on the head end.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch winter
    Insulation
    Hang Tight quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings on
    I’m not hoping to gain anything. Just curious if anyone had tried different variations of locations.

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JDBcubed View Post
    Anyone doing anything outside of the typical head and foot end pull outs? I think this year I may pull both sides of the head end out instead.
    Yes, actually. When I picked up a sidecar for my hammock, I moved the foot-end pull-out (and corresponding stake) to stake out the sidecar like a shelf. I left the head-end pull-out as is to keep the bug-net off my face, and the sidecar pulled out directly opposite. That's enough to hold the hammock open for me, and I really don't miss the foot end pull-out at all--my feet stretch that part of the hammock out just fine on their own. I suspect you'll have similar results using the pull-outs on both sides of the head.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The pullouts are designed to be where they are, and I'm not sure why you would change them. What advantage do you hope to gain?

I don't think you would find any hammock on the market with pull outs only on the head end.
    Nothing wrong with trying something new. That's kinda what this whole community is about, right? If everyone shied away from different ideas just because there wasn't something like it currently on the market, we wouldn't have any innovations in the industry. Not to mention the Chameleon was designed with a plethora of pull-out locations specifically so folks could customize it to their own tastes.
    Last edited by jcksparow; 03-27-2019 at 00:54.
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

I believe the Chameleon has 4 pull-outs and 4 UQ hooks. Some use one at the head and one, on the opposite side, for the feet. A WB BB also has four but a yoke of shock cord connects a head pull-out and a foot pull-out on each side so that all of the pull-outs are engaged.

Even if you pull out both sides at the head end, you just might find it useful to pull out one side for your feet but I could be all wrong! Obviously jcksparow doesn't sense an advantage to doing so.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch winter
    Insulation
    Hang Tight quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings on
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    I believe the Chameleon has 4 pull-outs and 4 UQ hooks. Some use one at the head and one, on the opposite side, for the feet. A WB BB also has four but a yoke of shock cord connects a head pull-out and a foot pull-out on each side so that all of the pull-outs are engaged.

Even if you pull out both sides at the head end, you just might find it useful to pull out one side for your feet but I could be all wrong! Obviously jcksparow doesn't sense an advantage to doing so.
    Yeah I was kinda just going to play around with maybe pulling out both head sides to see if it would feel more “roomy” but I’m inclined to agree with Sparrow, my feet push the foot end out anyway so I think I’m just going to try it and see.

Hammock
    Banshee / Chameleon
    Tarp
    TrailHeadz Topo
    Insulation
    CRO / JRB /TH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    While researching another brand I found out that if you use the pullouts to the bottom of the tarp, to get a more horiozntal open area. this causes your UQ not to seal off competely and in some ways changes the geometry of the hammock lay. It's not much but it doesn't seem to take much in the middle of the night to wake me up with a cold spot. HYOH. Happy Testing.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.”
    ― Norman Maclean

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch winter
    Insulation
    Hang Tight quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings on
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPickl View Post
    While researching another brand I found out that if you use the pullouts to the bottom of the tarp, to get a more horiozntal open area. this causes your UQ not to seal off competely and in some ways changes the geometry of the hammock lay. It's not much but it doesn't seem to take much in the middle of the night to wake me up with a cold spot. HYOH. Happy Testing.
    Interesting. I’m going to tinker around next time out and see

• + New Posts