Cheap UQ for the bigger guys-DIY Massdrop Pine Underquilt

If you are a bigger person that has trouble finding a UQ that fits, here is what I did. I was using a Hammock Gear Econ 40 Long that just wasn't wide enough for me. I am 6'5 and about 270lb and have a Dutch 11 foot hammock that I sleep diagonally in. The HG Econ long is 44"wide X 83" long. The HG was warm enough, but was always fighting to keep in the right place. I was also using the Massdrop Pine as a top quilt that worked just fine for my temps. After a unseasonably cool trip, I decided to look for a UQ that would be wider so I wouldn't have to fight. After not really finding anything I wanted to wait for or pay for, I remembered the Pine TQ had bungies on the ends and would probably make a pretty good UQ. It is rated at 40 deg as well so I should be good to go. It is 54" wide by 86" long.

All I did was add 25ft (total) of 1/8" shock cord lengthwise through an existing hem on each side and add a couple of line locs and was on my way. I did have to slit some small holes to thread the shock cord through the fabric and pull out a very small stitched section in the middle. But was no big deal. The MD Pine is $99 and the shock cord was $4.25 from Dutch.

The width is much better and from what I have used it so far (just in the yard), it stays on much better that the Hammock Gear.
    The HG Econ 40 deg Incubator will be for sale once I get enough posts to post in the for sell section....

I hope this helps some bigger guys like me find cheap gear that works.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (55.3 KB, 211 views)

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    What's your general opinion on the Pine Quilt? I have a 20* set of HG Econ quilts (incubator & burrow) which works great in cold weather. This past weekend, temps only got down to about 50* at night, so it was a bit too warm. Been thinking of getting the Pine Quilt to try out as a TQ and maybe split it in half to make a half-length UQ, but there aren't a lot of reviews out there except from that one guy who seems to love it a bit too much.

Sorry I missed this. I guess I didn't have notifications on. Probably way too late, but here goes anyway. It's nice but I don't have a ton of experience. I bought a Enlighted Equipment TQ as I wanted a lower temp rating (30degree) TQ, which I like a lot, but is honestly too much. I have been thinking about getting another Pine for my TQ. I don't think you can go wrong or $99. and you could always sell it if you hate it for $75 or so.

It comes up on MD often, you may just have to wait for it to ship. MD is annoying like that.

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter haven
    Insulation
    Pine UQ / WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Dutch Ti buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by madvr6 View Post

I hope this helps some bigger guys like me find cheap gear that works.
    Indeed! Could you share some pictures of it hanged. with focus on how the shock cord hangs from the UQ to the suspension?

• + New Posts