SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets

How much snow in the Porkies right now?

I am planning a trip to the Porcupine Mountains, in particular the Trap Hills area which is just across the road on the NCT and I am trying to find the amount of snow in the area right now. I am looking for a trip that does not require snowshoes but spikes are not a problem. I will be bringing 2 others and they do not have snowshoes.
    If there is a ton of snow still up there, when is the average time that snow melt would be low enough to warrant just spikes? Or when is a good time to hit the area before the bugs come out?

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Sorry I'm just being a jacka**. There is still a pretty deep snow pack in the woods.

NOAA Snow Depth

Generally speaking you can look at the end of April for the trails to be clear and that's in a good year. This season may be shaping up that way as the temps are rising fast and we're not getting the usual late March, early April snow (knock on wood). If you keep an eye on it for end of April early May you should be able to get in before the bugs hit.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I was wondering about the bugs as well. With around 30" of snow right now (melting though) I was thinking anytime before May 20 would be safe for the bugs??? Or is this just worse than predicting weather?

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I was wondering about the bugs as well. With around 30" of snow right now (melting though) I was thinking anytime before May 20 would be safe for the bugs??? Or is this just worse than predicting weather?
    No worse but no better. :P May 20th is a decent threshold to use, I usually go with May 15th as mine. I just keep in mind once the snow melts and the spring flooding starts I've got a couple weeks to a month before the "snow melt" mosquito's come out in force. The no see um or black fly hatch, whichever you want to call it, yea sometimes you just have bad luck. I've been in the Porkies second week of May and assumed I would be fine but had assumed incorrectly and they were out early that year.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    No worse but no better. :P May 20th is a decent threshold to use, I usually go with May 15th as mine. I just keep in mind once the snow melts and the spring flooding starts I've got a couple weeks to a month before the "snow melt" mosquito's come out in force. The no see um or black fly hatch, whichever you want to call it, yea sometimes you just have bad luck. I've been in the Porkies second week of May and assumed I would be fine but had assumed incorrectly and they were out early that year.
    Thanks, it's great to have some real world experience! I'm planning some UP hanging May 6-10, but somewhat flexible just in case.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Thanks, it's great to have some real world experience! I'm planning some UP hanging May 6-10, but somewhat flexible just in case.
    No problem, I think that's about a safe a bet as you can get. Book mark that NOAA snow depth link, they update fairly regularly. Generally that's a little early for the park to start getting busy so I think you could push off back country reservations close to the date, but don't quote me on that.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    You can update that map, which is usually only about 8hrs behind. Just watch for the "forecasted" depth, which is an estimation...but still close. I usually just pick a time about 8 hours before the current to be safe. You can even go back 10 years or so, which is kinda nice for future planning, although it varies a lot each year.

I'd toss a call into the local ranger station for an update or email the local chapter of the NCT up there: https://northcountrytrail.org/volunt...naake-chapter/

I've been section hiking the NCT through Michigan over the last couple of years and have found that the local Chapters have tons of intel and will even help you out with a ride. Enjoy the Porkies!

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    Great, thanks for the responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast