Tarp
    ENO HouseFly
    Insulation
    S.T.S UL Insulated
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Economy Burrow vs. Burrow

Afternoon all,
    Just like the rest of you, I'm on a budget and I am trying to make up my mind. If I need to cry once I will but reading up on the Econ Burrow it seems like it would be a buy once even with the low price. If anyone has experience with these quilts I would love some feedback. I am considering the 10 Degree Econ Burrow with 800 fill power down, which with 2oz of overfill comes out to be $182.00 with a weight of 25.3oz. The more expensive Burrow in 10 degrees 850 fill power down, also with 2oz of overfill would be $287.00 with a weight of 21.84oz. Is there something I'm missing that would make the extra cost worthwhile? Oh by the way I have to buy two, I'm married. If it helps any the reason for the purchase is to make a SOBO Application trail attempt once my wife finishes her master. In the meantime, these would just be used for Tennessee camping in the Smoky Mountains. I'll also be using a Sea to Summit Ultra-lite Insulated that has a 3.3 R-value. I look forward to any wisdom and feedback that can be given, thank you all.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't think I'd try to hike the whole AT with a 10* TQ plus 2 oz. overfill (which is basically a 0* TQ). That's way too heavy, even before you factor in the 17 ounce insulated pad. You might need a 0* TQ for a month, at most. Also, you might find that your TQ far outperforms the pad - that 3.3 R-value isn't calculated for hanging in a hammock in the air with convective air currents underneath you. I suspect you'll get cold underneath starting at 20* F, and 0* weather would be a real challenge.

The premium Incubator will be 14% lighter, or 3.46 ounces. If you're trying to hike the AT, those ounces will really matter. I would personally be inclined to get the Premium, because if you've ever hiked 22 miles in a day, you'll certainly appreciate the weight savings.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO HouseFly
    Insulation
    S.T.S UL Insulated
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thank you, I just purchased the sleep pad and might return it for a higher r value pad. So you may have just helped with two things. I'll save back the extra few hundred to get the better quilt and honestly if I go down to the 20 degree quilt it's not that much more in cost.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    The only differences between the Premium and Econ lines is the source of down (goose vs duck) and the shell fabric (Argon vs Ion). I have a premium 20* and an econ 0*, and they're both exceptional quality. Agree 20* is the way to go for your thru-hike. If you're going to save up for the premium line, I'd advise skipping the overfill. No sense shelling out extra $$$ to shave a few ounces just to spend even more to stuff those ounces back in. Their temp ratings tend to be fairly conservative, so I don't think you'd need it anyway.
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    That's a pretty expensive pad - never considered a UQ? An Economy HG 20* Phoenix, at 17.60 ounces, is only $109.95.

I would not want to wrestle with a pad for six months on the AT.

I take it from your post your gonna be ground pounding and not hammocking. That being the case, I would skip the Hammock Gear line and go with something like an Enlightened Equipment Revelation or Enigma or a Katabatic Gear premium bag or quilt. The reason is that the Burrows don’t have an effective pad attachment system while EE and Katabatic does. Of the two, Katabatic is the one I’d choose. The Palisade is all the quilt you’d need for your thru and it would go well with your pad. Bring a torso length Zlite to supplement the pad for the first month or so and you should be all set. All this stuff is bloody expensive but remember, your gonna be living in this for six months. Plus, a quality quilt will last you a lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO HouseFly
    Insulation
    S.T.S UL Insulated
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    That's a pretty expensive pad - never considered a UQ? An Economy HG 20* Phoenix, at 17.60 ounces, is only $109.95.

I would not want to wrestle with a pad for six months on the AT.
    That might not be a bad way to go. I always assumed under quilts were heavier than pads. The good news is I ordered the pad from REI so I can return it without issue when it comes in.

Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO HouseFly
    Insulation
    S.T.S UL Insulated
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    I take it from your post your gonna be ground pounding and not hammocking. That being the case, I would skip the Hammock Gear line and go with something like an Enlightened Equipment Revelation or Enigma or a Katabatic Gear premium bag or quilt. The reason is that the Burrows don’t have an effective pad attachment system while EE and Katabatic does. Of the two, Katabatic is the one I’d choose. The Palisade is all the quilt you’d need for your thru and it would go well with your pad. Bring a torso length Zlite to supplement the pad for the first month or so and you should be all set. All this stuff is bloody expensive but remember, your gonna be living in this for six months. Plus, a quality quilt will last you a lifetime.

I am hammock camping. I have looked into EE and they make some really nice gear. From them I've considered the Revelation but wasn't sure if it was worth the extra spend. I wish there was a place someone could go try gear withing 200 miles of me.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnieDT89 View Post
    I am hammock camping. I have looked into EE and they make some really nice gear. From them I've considered the Revelation but wasn't sure if it was worth the extra spend. I wish there was a place someone could go try gear withing 200 miles of me.

If you buy a quilt off the shelf from EE you have 30 days to return it, so you can try it out to see if you like it. I would opt for the Enigma over the Revelation since the cinched footbox is a little tight. Now, as far as being worth the extra $$$, for hammock camping, no.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't know much about EE quilts since they're not all that popular on HF. However, I do remember fallkniven buying their underquilts because they were so light, then quickly dumping them because he thought "they have the absolute WORST design ever. None of the friggin down ever stays anywhere it's supposed to, every darn time I set it up, all the friggin down is clumped up at the bottom of the quilt."

See post #30 in this thread.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ened+equipment

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast