Hello from Central Illinois

Been lurking awhile and learning. Never slept well on the ground so I thought I would try hammock camping. I am waiting for my new setup to arrive now. I am a 6'2 male and this is the setup I decided on for 3 season backpacking. A UGQ Bandit 20 degree topquilt that I ordered last year and love it. Hammock Gear Econ Pheonix 40 degree underquilt with 3oz overfill. Warbonnet Eldorado single layer 70D. Warbonnet Minifly 20D silpoly. Dutchware continuous Ridgeline with wasp, also Dutch Whoopie sling suspension with Kevlar straps and Dutch hooks 25ft zing it in yellow and aluminum steaks I already had for tent. In addition I have a Klymit insulated blow up sleeping pad should I ever need more warmth till I purchase a warmer underquilt for the shoulder seasons. Anyway I am very excited for everything to arrive and start hanging! Thanks to this Forum and everyone who contributes for helping me get into this.

Happy Hiking, and Hanging

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Welcome to the forums. Sounds like you have a handle on the gear now get out and enjoy it.

Now all you have to do is get out in the woods and start hanging with that excellent setup. Welcome to the forums.
    Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Welcome to the Forum!

I live up in Milwaukee and get to hang with a lot of folks from Illinois. You are in good company. We've even held Packer/Bear hangs where no one has left with any black eyes!

There is a hang fast approaching up in Dousman, WI (about 3.5 hours from you) - it's called the SprinterGiving Hang. Here's the direct link: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...C-gt-April-5-7

We'll have a good mix of new people and returning people so you could get a lot of questions answered. Maybe even hitch a ride with someone else coming from Illinois? (Check out where everyone is coming from on the sign-up sheet).

I don't know of any other hangs planned closer to you. Some of the Chicago area hangers will get together at the I&M Canal in Channahon (about 2 hours for you) a couple times in the warmer months.

It'd be nice to meet you at a hang sometime!

Oh, and I keep a list of regional hangs in my signature file. People tell me it's helpful so I keep it current.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ, UQ, UQP
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckle
    Welcome to the forums!
    "Always pass on what you have learned" - Yoda

Thanks for the welcome all! I can't make the hang but thank you for the info and I will be on the lookout and make it to one some other time.

Everything came in yesterday except Phoenix and I did a quick setup. It was too windy to fully deploy tarp but I got the continuous ridgeline and snake's on the tarp. The hammock was a great fit for me with just a hint of ridge calf but my backyard hang spot and the wind (and my first time using this gear) made it tough to get a ideal hang. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get rid of it once I get better conditions. Hardest part was trying to adjust the Whoopie slings with the wind pulling so hard so I gave in quickly as to not cause damage. I have decided to add toggles instead of just attaching whoopies directly to strap loop for more flexibility.

It was tough going all in on premium gear but when I got into backpacking I upgraded from my budget gear pretty quick and didn't want to do that again. So far I'm pretty happy and had a blast yesterday for what little bit of play time I had with it. Thanks again to everyone on these forums, such a big help in everything I need to know! Peace

Woot! HG Econ 40 degree Phoenix shipped today, ordered March 20th.
    I still haven't had enough time off or non rainy weather for a short test a tune overnight but I set up a nice hang spot in my basement and think I've got the calf ridge taken care of (see if I can replicate in the wild). I did take it on a day hike and did a setup but again there was rouge wind gust that day and I didn't like the look of the trees nearby and kinda sandy so I gave in quickly (you'd think I live in Chicago with all this wind in central Illinois lately) also a few other times in backyard but not liking my spot there. While waiting for UQ I did sleep overnight in it with a Big Agnes Axl in basement. Was quite comfortable so I'm sure shoulder seasons will not be a problem with Phoenix and pad combined.
    But ya, so far everything seems great and I can't wait to get it all out in the wild Happy trails all!

Last edited by NOBOZax; 04-16-2019 at 10:46.

• + New Posts