Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MInimum number of posts to participate in certain sub-forums

This forum has been around long enough that the answer to most questions is available to those willing to take the time to search. And I suspect there are a lot of us who come here new to hammocks and are polite enough to spend lots of time reading instead of posting every question we have or offering answers that we aren't sure are correct. I've been here almost 2 years with only 20 posts, but I've read most of the forum.

Some sub-forums, such as give-aways, require a minimum number of posts. Preventing people who just signed up from accessing these areas is smart, and long-time lurkers who don't participate at all shouldn't be allowed either. But I think a threshold based only on number of posts rewards new members who don't search and offer uneducated opinions, which are not the members you want to reward. A better system would take into account length of membership, which could also prevent people from making 50 posts in their first week. I'd recommend requiring 5 weeks of 10posts per week or 10 weeks with at least 1 post in each of those weeks. I think this would better accomplish the intent by preventing access to anybody too new while allowing access to those who have been here a long time so long as they participate some while they learn.

Also, a separate but related suggestion: block viewing of these sub-forums from those who can't participate. It's frustrating to get excited about a giveaway, read through the whole thread, and then not be allowed to participate. It's not that big of a deal, but no point in showing people things they can't have, lol.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner Bridge
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Lynx, hangtight
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    The problem is who is supposed to enforce this? I'm sure the mods here are already busy as can be just monitoring the basic rules. Unless a programmer can help them find a way to automate this kind of checking, it seems unrealistic, even if a good idea in principle.
    ~~~NJHEART2HEART Dawn~~~
    "Seek God, Embrace the Journey, Leave a Legacy of Love"

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, HammockGear netless
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ series
    Suspension
    straps and beetles
    as somebody in a similar position as you, I agree 100%

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraLance View Post
    I've been here almost 2 years with only 20 posts, but I've read most of the forum.
    And yet you didn't read the rules posted in the Hammock Giveaway section? There are two stickies right there with all the rules. I'll admit, I didn't read them either until I wanted to post a giveaway, and even then, I really only paid attention to what pertained to me, the poster. Since I knew I was ignorant of the rules (even after having read them) I still consulted a moderator to make sure I was doing it right. The mod gave me a couple of helpful tips (rules) that I may have otherwise missed.

Quote Originally Posted by SupraLance View Post
    A better system would take into account length of membership, which could also prevent people from making 50 posts in their first week.
    Length of membership doesn't mean much of anything to me. I'll bet there are thousands of people who sign up for the forum, take a look around and never come back.

I personally like the 50 post requirement, especially in the FS section. I've seen many people with a "length of membership" of two years or more, but not enough posts to sell something. That frustrates them. And what do they do? Often, they run up their post count overnight with 40 or 50 posts just so they can sell that ENO hammock. That tells me those people are inherently unscrupulous, since, even after reading the rules, they don't think the rules apply to them and they try to circumvent the rules. Those folks running up their post count are almost always caught by the moderators. If they had just read the FS rules, posted in stickies in that forum, they would have known. Instead, the mods ban them from the FS section for a long time, which they also consider unfair, even though it's clearly posted in the FS stickies that this will happen to them.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 03-22-2019 at 23:37.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

SilvrSurfr, the change I'm suggesting would prevent that and any motivation to do that. In some ways it would actually be a greater restriction, since the posts would have to occur in at least 5 separate weeks and so couldn't be all in the same week. Those who sign up and don't come back until ready to sell still would not be able to, and would have to remain active for weeks before they could, preventing any attempt at an overnight runup. Those who have actually been reading the forum on a regular basis for a long time, and posted in at least 10 separate weeks during that time, would be allowed. Do you not think that at least 10 weeks of actually using the forum and making at least one post per week is enough?

Although I've been out of programming a long time, this would not have been overly difficult to implement into code years ago since all the post history is stored in the database and available to query, and I expect it would be even easier to code today. Although I agree a simple 50post threshold is easier to code, I think the better results of this suggestion are worthwhile or I would not have bothered to make it.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

MInimum number of posts to participate in certain sub-forums

This thread is positively affecting your post count.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    This discussion has been beaten into the ground so many times that it is flat. When HF redid the Market Place area a couple of years back this was a hot topic of conversation between the members and the moderators.

We looked at having software built to accommodate something similar what is being discussed but that means every time HF is upgraded/changed all the add on items have to be retested and perhaps reprogrammed. This adds complexity to the forum and is not something HF wants to do. Therefore the decision was made to continue to use the forum software to do the job which means the 50 post rule stays in place.

We even looked at increasing/decreasing the 50 post rule but decided against it. Why? Because historically it has worked well to help keep people from abusing the Market Place. Along with that it really does not take long to accumulate 50 posts if you participate in the forum by asking and answering questions. The sharing of hammock related information is really the sole purpose of HF and the Market Place is simply an add on so it is okay if people don't participate in the Market Place.

As to people running up their count, I can speak as a moderator, and tell you we do our utmost to keep that from happening. We don't see it much any more and when we do we delete an individual's posts and send them a not so nice PM. If they do it again, we ban them.

Perhaps a question to ask is why do we only see this question when someone wants to get in on a give away or wants to sell something? Might want to ask their purpose in being here? Are they a contributing member of the community or just here to snag up the "good stuff" and move along? Not saying that is the case here but just thinking out loud.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Contributing to a forum is one of the best ways to keep a forum going. I've been on a variety of forums over the years and when there are not so many posts except the for sale section I tend to drop them. People come here for the conversation, so join the conversation and enjoy the benefits of what your post count brings you.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Thank you dkurfiss , your points are well made.

IMHO the For Sale Form is a safer place to buy or sell since the regulations have been put in place.

I realize some members read but not post which is a personal option. However posting is to my thinking an important part of contributing to the group. New member's with a fresh look keep the group from becoming stale.

Earning permission to post in Sub Forums is a perk of being a contributing member.
    That is my thought anyway.

I suspect policing For Sale Forum is a full time project as it is. I think for the majority the system is working.
    Last edited by IRONFISH45; 03-23-2019 at 10:07.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post

Perhaps a question to ask is why do we only see this question when someone wants to get in on a give away or wants to sell something? Might want to ask their purpose in being here? Are they a contributing member of the community or just here to snag up the "good stuff" and move along? Not saying that is the case here but just thinking out loud.
    Boy this sure hits the nail on the head for me.
    My feelings exactly.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast