Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Donate, browse, take part, and the minimum threshold goes pretty quickly!
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Sorry, needed another post for 840... ��
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Quote Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
    This thread is positively affecting your post count
    That made me lol, Snaps.

Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    We looked at having software built to accommodate something similar what is being discussed but that means every time HF is upgraded/changed all the add on items have to be retested and perhaps reprogrammed. This adds complexity to the forum and is not something HF wants to do. Therefore the decision was made to continue to use the forum software to do the job which means the 50 post rule stays in place.
    So what you are really saying here is the change would need to made by VBulletin as an upgrade to the underlying software to insure future compatibility. That makes a lot of sense, and means it's out of your hands other than perhaps making the suggestion to VBulletin. That change would benefit a lot of their customers, not just HF, so I hope you will suggest it and they will one day implement it.

Perhaps a question to ask is why do we only see this question when someone wants to get in on a give away or wants to sell something? Might want to ask their purpose in being here? Are they a contributing member of the community or just here to snag up the "good stuff" and move along? Not saying that is the case here but just thinking out loud.
    Probably because they aren't even aware of it until that point. If they've been here reading posts for OVER A YEAR before trying to sell something or join a give-away, then that is clearly NOT the main reason they are here. I resent that implication.

The second part of my suggestion was to just go ahead and hide the Give-a-ways section from anybody who doesn't have enough posts. Thoughts on that? If it's difficult to do it's not a big deal, but if its simple to implement then it might be the polite thing to do.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraLance View Post
    The second part of my suggestion was to just go ahead and hide the Give-a-ways section from anybody who doesn't have enough posts. Thoughts on that? If it's difficult to do it's not a big deal, but if its simple to implement then it might be the polite thing to do.
    I don't think the software could do that and to be honest the management is pretty happy with the rule as it is. Thank you for your suggestion though.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Perhaps a question to ask is why do we only see this question when someone wants to get in on a give away or wants to sell something?
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraLance View Post
    If they've been here reading posts for OVER A YEAR before trying to sell something or join a give-away, then that is clearly NOT the main reason they are here. I resent that implication.
    Isn't what dkurfiss described exactly what happened? You saw a giveaway, wanted to participate in the giveaway, but were unable to participate due to inadequate post count. Then you post something about how unfair it is.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I think this post has been answered by both of the forum moderators (OutandBack and me). Before this gets off course I am going to close it. OP if you wish to continue your discuss, you are welcome to PM both OutandBack and/or me.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12