Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Monolite Integral Bugnet

This is probably my first post, 'cuz this is the first time I've done something new (ithink)...

Soo have you ever pulled the sides up over your head because of bugs? What if the sides ...were the bugnet?

I wanted a day-lounger that could if-necessary resist insects and serve as a stealth-camp, and it had to disappear into my pack.

IMG_20190321_141050_DRO.jpgIMG_20190321_142124_DRO.jpgIMG_20190321_141901_DRO.jpgIMG_20190321_141925_DRO.jpg

Made of Monolite 1.0 from RipstopByTheRoll, with a #3 continuous coil zipper and dual double-sided sliders. Dimensions are 4yd minus two 2" channels, by fabric-width minus rollover for zippers. Suspension is Amsteel 7/64in with UCRs and Venom UHMW tree straps and soft shackles. It all fits in a 10x5in double-ended stuffsack and weighs 12oz.

YDXJ0502_pic_edit_20190321162804~01.jpg
    ON-ON! -Nadz

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Wow. Now if that is actually comfortable when zipped up, then that is VERY cool! I didn’t think the fabric would be wide enough to do that. Are you able to get a decent diagonal lay? I suppose the generous length is helping with that here?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

Monolite Integral Bugnet

It might also be worth trying out a version with the curved end channels of an SLD Streamliner hammock because they shift the sweet spot to much less of a diagonal. I just got some new gear made of that same Dark Olive Monolite and I love the look and feel. Cool stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    Wow. Now if that is actually comfortable when zipped up, then that is VERY cool! I didn’t think the fabric would be wide enough to do that. Are you able to get a decent diagonal lay? I suppose the generous length is helping with that here?
    Nah, too small to be comfy when zipped up, but it's huge when open. Next test will be to see if an X-Lite and down bquilt fit.

Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    It might also be worth trying out a version with the curved end channels of an SLD Streamliner hammock
    Maybe. I'm a side-sleeper. I suppose as the depth of cut increases, there approaches a limit where the diagonal becomes a flat crosswise lay. Might experiment by folding at different depths...

You're right about the material- it's a whole new thing. That's why I shared, I think Monolite is going to show up everywhere... It's strong enough to show up as windows on hammocks. Or walls of a spindrift/sand/snag-proof ultra-breathable alpine tent. Or see-thru rugged stuffsacks that can dry out gear. The future is translucent!

Images
    Is this material more or less transparent than "regular" noseeum netting? I prefer visibility over durability.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Is this material more or less transparent than "regular" noseeum netting? I prefer visibility over durability.
    Definitely not as clear vision out of it as no see um

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Thanks for the pics! How would you rate breathability compared to noseeum mesh?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by HMLCK View Post
    Thanks for the pics! How would you rate breathability compared to noseeum mesh?
    It's kind of hard to quantify, but I did some rudimentary testing using a hair dryer and a candle. I tried to simulate real-life conditions with a wind coming at the material and seeing how the two materials affected 'felt' air movement at a distance on the other side.

With the hair dryer about 8" from the material and the small jar candle another 8" away, I could not blow out the candle through the Monolite and it went out instantly through the .67 noseeum.

Just feeling the amount of air passing through the materials, I would put my guess as at least double through the noseeum likely more.

Best I could do for ya! Hope it helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Countrybois; 03-27-2019 at 20:40.

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Perfect test, thanks! In FL any breeze is worth keeping.

Hammock
    Sparrow/Darien
    Tarp
    Palace/WinterDream
    Insulation
    Nunatak/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Spider/J-Bend
    I just came across this thread and Im glad I did. I have a few hammocks on order with monolite bug nets. Im going to change them to a regular noseeum. Im in alabama and like HMLCK said above, any breeze is worth keeping.
    Instagram: @tralenoutdoors

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast