Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    Start close to home. Finding something with minimal travel time might allow you to stretch a 2 night hike into 3 or 4 nights. Close to home means maybe you can get out once or twice a month rather than just once this summer, months from now. Both the SHT and Porcupine Mountain Wilderness are fantastic destinations but, more nights out would be favorable even if the destinations were less scenic. Those are my thoughts.

I have an overnight tentatively planned for May to a state park in the Door County area and that should be a good test of gear. Fingers crossed it starts to dry up!
    Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by jdeering View Post
    You mean Sunday at green timbers? Lol
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Nope, but I hear that was one heckuva a blizzard that blew through there. In my post the wind I referred to was the adventure OneClick and I had at our 17000 acre stealth camp last fall in the UP. Epic!

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    [QUOTE=TheCrew2019;1960252]I have an overnight tentatively planned for May to a state park in the Door County area and that should be a good test of gear. Fingers crossed it starts to dry up![QUOTE]

You could make the 2 hour trip down to SprinterGiving for your gear shakedown, there will be plenty of experience hangers in attendance for help and advice if you need it. There's some really good hiking in the area too, you can hike the IAT from camp.

https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...C-gt-April-5-7

Is it just me or does this thread have most of the ingredients for a group hang?? Lots of talk about the North Country Trail and people favorite hikes.....

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    Is it just me or does this thread have most of the ingredients for a group hang?? Lots of talk about the North Country Trail and people favorite hikes.....
    I'd be happy to help set up a group hang/backpack.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Years ago we did some group backpacking hangs on the NCT. They do tend to get a bit large on the walking trips but somehow we pulled it off. Meeting up and shuttling cars and such was the most tricky part.
    Someone has to crack the whip and keep it going.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Years ago we did some group backpacking hangs on the NCT. They do tend to get a bit large on the walking trips but somehow we pulled it off. Meeting up and shuttling cars and such was the most tricky part.
    Shug
    Aye, they can get a bit unruly. I'd be happy to carry the whip and I can also offer up my house/property as a staging ground or what not, as it's right "on the trail" so to speak. I don't generally enjoy large groups for backpacking but this is such a great group of people I'd be happy to put that aside to get everyone up here to enjoy the trail and a (mostly) remote backpacking experience. I never make it to the group hangs because, well, I'm a hiker first, hanger second so hiking trips are always taking the priority during the season.

I love those video sets, always sad that it was shortly before my time, especially now that I live right amongst it. What a group of characters and what a good time. I often camp on the hilltop at Porcupine Lake and think, wow, what a meeting of the hammock minds that would have been.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    I'd be happy to help set up a group hang/backpack.
    Edited, you beat me to it. That's a remarkably generous offer!! Hopefully the group size doesn't get out of hand, but it would be awesome to get a bunch of hangers out hiking!

I have one weekend open in April, still confirming which one that will be. May 11 is the only early weekend I have open that month, i might be able to make the weekend of the fourth work....

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Shug
    Shouldn't that be signed "Shug, cracker of the whip"

I remember at least one of those videos, it was an early who's who of the hammock world. Good stuff!
    Last edited by goobie; 03-24-2019 at 11:03.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    Edited, you beat me to it. That's a remarkably generous offer!! Hopefully the group size doesn't get out of hand, but it would be awesome to get a bunch of hangers out hiking!
    My pleasure, again happy to do it, I'm extremely passionate about backpacking and the NCT here in WI. I also have this rather unique feature behind my property that would work well if people were coming up late and there needed to be a group camp before taking off on the trail the following day. It's an old resort that was torn down or burned down (not sure of the local history) on the lake behind me. Kind of a neat spot. Would depend on if my house was close enough to the chosen route, it's a healthy seven mile hike down to the north end of the Rainbow Wilderness from home so a bit of stretch to get into the heart of the Chequamegon. Headed to the west though through the Pine Barrens, its a good place to start from. Anyway, many options.

Hammock
    Dream Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBTF
    I would be totally up for a NCT hang where hiking is the main course. I'd love to get an introduction to that trail from someone who can point out the ins and outs of it. I would be unavailable the first 10 days in May. Otherwise late April or May would work for me.

If a spring hike isn't feasible, I'd imagine that Sep is glorious and probably a bit less pencilled in for everyone.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ, UQ, UQP
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckle
    Anywhere dude....just get out and hike...it's all good.
    "Always pass on what you have learned" - Yoda

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast