Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    ...piney woods.
    I second that. As long as it's not raining and 40 mile an hour winds . Been there, done that.

Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    There's a nice section of the North Country Trail in NW WI that's worth a look, might be closer depending on where in WI you are. SHT is definitely worth the drive.

https://northcountrytrail.org/volunt...megon-chapter/
    We offer free shuttles for both chapter sections of the NCT in WI as long is someone is available. We are also starting on adding more dedicated campsites to the Chequamegon section.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    There is also a great little section of the Ice Age trail in the southern most little stand alone section of the Chequamegon NF. It's just a little west of Medford on 64 which would only be a bit over a two hour drive for you. Also the Kettle Moraine North has a great section of the Ice Age trail just south of you. You have to camp at the shelters (but not in them) they have on the trail but it would also be a great and close place to get your feet wet.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    We offer free shuttles for both chapter sections of the NCT in WI as long is someone is available. We are also starting on adding more dedicated campsites to the Chequamegon section.
    I think when I checked there were not as many dedicated sites as I was hoping in some of the sections so its great to hear more are on the way!

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrew2019 View Post
    I think when I checked there were not as many dedicated sites as I was hoping in some of the sections so its great to hear more are on the way!
    Yea, there's many "unofficial" campsites, especially in the wilderness areas but none of them are officially published so unless you know the trail well, you wouldn't know they were there. Also lots of places to bush camp, which is legal, but again you have to know the area. It's been due for a camping upgrade for a long time.

Hammock
    Dream Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBTF
    That is on my radar to get up to the NCT this year. How are the trail conditions in Apr/May? Is there a gap between the spring thaw muck and the arrival of bug season?

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loonatic View Post
    That is on my radar to get up to the NCT this year. How are the trail conditions in Apr/May? Is there a gap between the spring thaw muck and the arrival of bug season?
    A very small one. Generally end of April beginning of May is the sweet spot. Right after ice out you have a couple weeks before they really get going. The trails have mostly had some time to be snow free and drying before ice out but it's still a little mucky here and there. As long as we haven't had any April winter storms I'll generally start getting out in mid April, though I'll still have to get a little creative on how I get water if the lakes haven't cleared yet. I'll try to plan my camps around where I know streams are available.

Hammock
    Dream Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBTF
    That's one thing about that section in the National Forest west of Medford near Jerry Lake. It is a nice trail and is very well maintained, but it takes a long time to dry out in spring/early summer.

Hammock
    WBRR or custom gathered end
    Tarp
    Larger in winter,
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles,
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    I second that. As long as it's not raining and 40 mile an hour winds . Been there, done that.

Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk
    You mean Sunday at green timbers? Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrew2019 View Post
    I’m trying to decide if I should hike a section of the Superior Hiking trail or going to the porcupine mountain are in MI and doing the Lake Superior trail and trails around that. I’m looking to go mid to late September for maybe 2 nights.

Any one have thoughts?
    Start close to home. Finding something with minimal travel time might allow you to stretch a 2 night hike into 3 or 4 nights. Close to home means maybe you can get out once or twice a month rather than just once this summer, months from now. Both the SHT and Porcupine Mountain Wilderness are fantastic destinations but, more nights out would be favorable even if the destinations were less scenic. Those are my thoughts.

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast