Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Greetings from Inddiana

Hello Everyone,

Father of 2 here from Indiana. I am new to backpacking after not doing it for over 10 years. Been doing a bunch of day hikes the last year or so, and am planning a solo over night trip in the upcoming months.

I am researching purchasing my first hammock for backpacking. Any advice anyone can provide is appreciated. I have a lot of gear to pick up and I am taking my time trying to borrow what I can and make smart purchases where I need to.

I am considering the Jungle Explorer Zip XL as Hennessy at a pretty decent discount right now. If anyone out there has experience with this product let me know.

If my solo endeavor goes well I my plan is to pick up another hammock or 2 for the kids out with me.

I'm in a similar situation as you minus the kids. Its been about 4 years since my last backpacking adventure and have done a few day hikes here and there. Havent gotten a hammock yet but am very intrigued by them. If I start backpacking a bit more and use my gear more I may check into it even further then I have

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Welcome to the forum! For a first hammock, I would not recommend going with an asymmetrical hammock. Once you've hung enough to figure out which direction you prefer to lay, the asym begins to make more sense. It would be a bummer to purchase a hammock that is designed to lay in one direction, only to find out that your body prefers the opposite.

There are a lot of great vendors out there. I'll post some links below to some of the most popular ones. Most of these vendors offer 11' hammocks- which are generally considered to be the ideal length for overnight sleeping, while still remaining lightweight and packable. You need to figure out what you want out of your system- super light weight? bug protection? single or double layer (for occupant weight or use with a pad)? etc...

You can always start with a basic netless hammock and then add a separate bug net when needed. This provides a lot of versatility. You can leave the bug net at home when you know you won't need it. You can also get a hammock with an integrated bug net. If you go this route, I recommend getting a hammock that has a fully-removable net- or at least one where the net can be unzipped and stored in one of the hammock peaks.

Hennessy Hammocks are generally regarded as decent hammocks, but they are quite heavy, their suspension is awkward, and most folks don't find them as comfortable as the other cottage vendor gear that is available. What I like about our cottage vendors is you can choose the fabric you want, based on your weight and sleep preferences. I recommend reaching out to these vendors and have a conversation about what your needs/preferences are, and they can help you pick out the perfect setup for you.

And of course, you have to figure out how you plan to stay warm in your hammock! There are also great vendors for hammock-specific insulation. I will link to those as well.

Good luck in your research, and let us know if you have any questions!

Dream Hammock
    https://www.dreamhammock.com/

Dutchware Gear
    https://dutchwaregear.com/

Simply Light Designs
    https://simplylightdesigns.com/

Warbonnet Outdoors
    https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/

Hammock Gear
    https://www.hammockgear.com/

Underground Quilts
    https://ugqoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Dutchware has a great deal on a whole setup- netted hammock, tarp, suspension, guylines - $200, your choice of colors. It comes with Dutch hardware so there's no knots to worry about.

Charlotte

Quote Originally Posted by Shatznr View Post

Any advice anyone can provide is appreciated.
    Pick up a copy of Derek's book, "The Ultimate Hang." It's a gold mine and will save you time and money down the road. Disclaimer: I'm not Derek; I just like his book a lot. Here's a link to his website: http://theultimatehang.com/
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Welcome to the forum. You have some nice areas near you just south of Indy. For good places to go around the Mid-west area check out Adventure Archives's channel on Youtube. They feature Hoosier and Brown county state park as trips. One of the AA guys, Robby Huang, is also from Carmel. Finally, the Indiana group is active with group hangs in the spring and fall.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    UGQ Down
    Suspension
    Treeee straps!
    Quote Originally Posted by xMagnolia View Post
    Dutchware has a great deal on a whole setup- netted hammock, tarp, suspension, guylines - $200, your choice of colors. It comes with Dutch hardware so there's no knots to worry about.

Charlotte
    Or even start with one of Dutch's Hexon 1.7 netless $30 hammocks. Add the ridgeline for another $10. If you like hammocks you'll always need one for a friend. This is a symmetric hammock so you get to try right and left lay. Then go shopping!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Web-cinch buckles
    There is also a group hang coming up near you. Its a good chance to meet some locals and see a bunch of different setups.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...26TH-28TH-2019

Thank you everyone for the wonderful responses. I do have a question about warmth. For going out in the spring / summer how important is an under quilt? I know myself and I will want a bugnet - so that is on the list. The half zipped from Dutchware looks very interesting - especially with the bundle they have with the tarp and gear for hanging it all for around $280 - only thing missing would be some sort of under quilt / pad.

Another option I am looking at is the zippered hammock from hammock gear which I could pair with the 40 degree incubator - but would need a tarp / ridge line for tarp for about $259

I am unsure about where to spend my money first - tarp or quilt. Would a inexpensive sleeping pad work in a hammock if I went for a tarp now? Any advice or experience with either of these products is appreciated.

Hammock
    Chameleon 2.4
    Tarp
    WB Mini/Super Flys
    Insulation
    LL Reaper&WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatznr View Post
    Thank you everyone for the wonderful responses. I do have a question about warmth. For going out in the spring / summer how important is an under quilt? I know myself and I will want a bugnet - so that is on the list. The half zipped from Dutchware looks very interesting - especially with the bundle they have with the tarp and gear for hanging it all for around $280 - only thing missing would be some sort of under quilt / pad.

Another option I am looking at is the zippered hammock from hammock gear which I could pair with the 40 degree incubator - but would need a tarp / ridge line for tarp for about $259

I am unsure about where to spend my money first - tarp or quilt. Would a inexpensive sleeping pad work in a hammock if I went for a tarp now? Any advice or experience with either of these products is appreciated.
    You will need something under your body to keep you warm even up to about 70 degrees. Some folks sleep warmer so you can experiment as long as you have something ready when you get cold.

Personally, I hate pads. Underquilts are wonderful. Mine are from Loco Libre but George isn't taking orders right now due to illness. I also have one rated at 50 degrees for Spring and Fall from Underground Quilts and it is very nice too. When I am in the market I typically do a spreadsheet with vendor, cost, length, fill rating, ect. The decision becomes very easy when you compare side by side like that.

I have the Chameleon from Dutch Ware and like it because of all the add-ons available.

For tarps, Warbonnet has a very nice series. I have both the largest (Superfly) and the smallest (Minifly). Love them both and they have both been through nasty storms with no issues.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast