Tarp
    dyneema
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    whoopie

Hello from OBX NC!

Hello Hammock Family,

Thanks so much for letting me join this informative forum. I am a very newbie when it comes to hammocking. I am heading out this weekend for a quick solo one nighter. My wife says I am obsessed! hahaha. Thanks to my friend Salty Dog for putting me onto Shug's youtube channel. It was been so helpful. Also, thanks for all of the information. I look forward to getting out to Western NC to get some trail time in soon.

Thanks,

Kevin

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Have fun on your adventure! Don't forget to let us know how it goes. We like to hear the good, the bad and the ugly. Pictures are even better.

Charlotte

Welcome to the madness. Tell your wife what I tell mine: it's not an obsession. It's just a totally engrossing hobby that blots out all others.
    Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    Welcome Kevin! FYI, we have a group hang coming up at Medoc Mountain S.P. next month if you'd be interested. Gunner lives in Beaufort, NC and sponsors it. Check out the posts here...very laid back, great food and a lot of fun.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-14-April-2019
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Welcome from down at the (southern) beach!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Enjoy the hammock quest.
    You're only a beginner once.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlarg View Post
    Hello Hammock Family,

Thanks so much for letting me join this informative forum. I am a very newbie when it comes to hammocking. I am heading out this weekend for a quick solo one nighter. My wife says I am obsessed! hahaha. Thanks to my friend Salty Dog for putting me onto Shug's youtube channel. It was been so helpful. Also, thanks for all of the information. I look forward to getting out to Western NC to get some trail time in soon.

Thanks,

Kevin
    Aloha from your northern neighbor in Va Beach
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

Hammock
    10' SFOC
    OBX is such an amazing place to hammock.
    Chris Siebenaler
    Sloth and Fox Outdoor Company
    Amazon
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Website

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    My wife knew I was nuts when I purposely slept in the garage to test things. It’s only gotten worse over the years.

Welcome from Charlotte

Hammock
    unkown
    Tarp
    dyneema
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Last night was a wild ride! I live real close to the Pamlico Sound on Cape Hatteras. Hung last night and fell asleep right as i felt the wind switch and the very light rain begin. I was woken up at about 2:45am to 40mph gusts out of the NW and my tarp stakes blown out. I didn't have much between the wind coming off the water and where i was hanging. I tried to regroup and get my tarp under control but it was not much use. It was a punch in the gut as I donned my head lamp and began breaking down camp. When i got to my bed my wife said, "I cant believe you made it this long!" "It was shaking the house!" hahahahahaa. lessoned learned. I was hung at the only possible location last night. I will need to sink a post in the ground to get on the leeward side of this Northely wind for future hangs.

Ashamed to admit i pulled the rip cord and crawled in my bed once I had everything packed up. I impersonated as if i was on the trail so i had everything in my pack that I would have if i was out on the trail. I want to practice as if it is the real deal except right by my house. When I got to bed It felt like i was just stepping off a boat after being out to Sea all day. You know the feeling when you first plant your feet on dry land and it still feels like you are on a boat? Thats what the bed felt like. The bed was a rockin like the hammock was for awhile. I had a big smile on my face though.

Lesson learned. That's why they call it practice! haha I also I try not to have any ego so that is why i am happy to share my failed attempt. I am still sticking to the plan of heading out into the woods and going for a hang tonight. Wind is dying down and the woods are much more protected then where I was.

I still had a blast and it was an adventure even though i was a stone throw from the house.

Mother nature-1, Me-0.

Happy hanging!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast