WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Indeed! Look at what Nature has made available and engage neurons!

And it's just plain fun to know multiple ways to do things.
    That's what my wife once said. Or was is "I'm engaged to a moron" Can't quite remember those things anymore.

Tautline hitch works for me.

Images
    Any of the suggestions in this thread are fine, and there are probably at least a few dozen other possible ways to accomplish the same.

If a hardware gizmo is what you're after, I'll second the one suggested by cmoulder in post #3.

~~~

I'd probably recommend not using a lineloc V, although it is designed for small cord. It's a good choice if the slot end is attached to webbing, but attaching it only to tiny diameter cord, you'll have to wrap the cord numerous times through the slot end to keep the hardware aligned with the guyline. Otherwise it may twist and not function as intended.

On the other hand, you could get a few feet of 3/32" shock cord, make closed loops that wrap about 5x through the slot end of the lineloc V before tying them off, and then larks head those to the tarp corners. Then you have a built in tensioner (which some people like and some don't) and you can easily remove them from the tarp if you choose.

If you don't want the stretch, you could do the same with 2-3mm utility cord or similar.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 03-21-2019 at 12:44.

For guy line that small, maybe try these...

Attachment 173602
    I haven't had a good experience with these mini line locks. I initially set up with 1.8mm cord and the mini line locks slipped every night. Hardly any wind, if any at all.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rodentface View Post
    I haven't had a good experience with these mini line locks. I initially set up with 1.8mm cord and the mini line locks slipped every night. Hardly any wind, if any at all.

Interesting. I've used them a bunch with Atwood Micro Cord (1.18mm), which is below the rated size for these, and never had issues. Not saying it's not possible though!

Edit: 1.18mm is NOT below their rating. Rated 1mm - 1.9mm according to Zpacks.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 03-21-2019 at 12:53.

Images
    There are also these Slide Locks, available from Dutch. For 1mm - 3mm line.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/slide-lock/

They work, but I find them a little on the bulky side, considering they work down to 1mm diameter line.

Images
    You could also try mason-line nano-whoopies in conjunction with your regular guyline or as the guyline itself.

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Interesting. I've used them a bunch with Atwood Micro Cord (1.18mm), which is below the rated size for these, and never had issues. Not saying it's not possible though!

Edit: 1.18mm is NOT below their rating. Rated 1mm - 1.9mm according to Zpacks.
    I was surprised and disappointed the mini line locks didn't work well given the reports I've read at hammockforums about their efficacy. I had extras and swapped out the slipping locks to no avail. Maybe I have especially crappy cord. Sounds like I need some new cord to try again. More fiddling - excellent!

I don't know that I'm prepared to take the dyneema guy out route though...

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rodentface View Post
    I was surprised and disappointed the mini line locks didn't work well given the reports I've read at hammockforums about their efficacy. I had extras and swapped out the slipping locks to no avail. Maybe I have especially crappy cord. Sounds like I need some new cord to try again. More fiddling - excellent!

I don't know that I'm prepared to take the dyneema guy out route though...

What kind of cord? Were they the micro linelocs (triangle shaped) I linked from Zpacks? (Your statement above said "mini" so just asking for clarification.)

I've been hardware free for several years, but I did use these with my Duplex tent back when I were a groundling and never had any issues with them. Back then I was using the old-style 1.2mm Z-line with polyester jacket and Spectra core. It was comparatively very stiff and highly tangle resistant, but the poly jacket abraded very easily.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    You could also try mason-line nano-whoopies in conjunction with your regular guyline or as the guyline itself.
    Pretty cool idea somebody mentioned in that thread to do back-to-back buries in the middle, which would greatly increase the useful range. Good idea to tuck into the memory banks.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner Bridge
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Lynx, hangtight
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I'm luvvin' Shug videos as much as the next person, but trust me, there are many, many (many!) places here in the NE where you're not getting away that easily when placing stakes.

Some places it's so frustrating that it's good to know how to use rocks, which you're going to find plenty of in a place like the aptly-named Rockland County. This is what you do when you've spent 5 minutes per stake trying to bang them into the ground without result.

Hey.. that's smart! hadn't seen that trick before.
    ~~~NJHEART2HEART Dawn~~~
    "Seek God, Embrace the Journey, Leave a Legacy of Love"

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast