Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

Best huggers for extended outdoor exposure

We've just bought a house, and as I'm going through the inside doing a bunch of work, my mind drifts to what I'm going to use to hang my hammock outside.

There's a very stout tree in the corner of the back lot, and a shed >20' away. I'd like to find some huggers that I can leave on the tree: one for the hammock, and probably another one for a swing for my son.

I'd like to find out what material will best stand up to the elements long-term; maybe 3 years, minimum. I'm thinking 2" seat belt straps would be OK. They're unlikely to get direct sun exposure due to the tree coverage, but what they will get is brutal (FL). Darker colors that blend in with the tree will have a much higher WAF.

Any other ideas?
    Last edited by Snaps; 03-21-2019 at 04:02.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Best huggers for extended outdoor exposure

WAF, multiple meanings-when I looked it up
    Wife Approval Factor?
    Twenty feet apart attachment points, might lead to flatter hang angle than 30 degrees. If your suspension is close to a horizontal flat line, then stresses on suspension might cause failure of suspension or tree or shed. This can be avoided by attaching higher up tree and shed.
    I reckon, leaving any gear set up in yard over time will age your gear at a faster rate than if removed when not being used.
    A suspension might last longer outdoors if it is rated for most weight.
    All of the above is me guessing and parroting from my reading. You are the best judge of your suspension and if and when you will want to replace it with new straps.
    Good luck

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    The thing that occurs to me is the damage to the tree from leaving anything on it that long. I could see the bark growing over the straps and the tension making the tree lean toward the shed. Why not put up a stand and just screw in some eye bolts? I put two 6X6 poles up 15 feet apart and take the hammock down when not in use. I test all my gear there and sometimes sleep there just because it's nice out.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Climbers tubular webbing/tape comes in 1" & 2" widths. Will fade over time as most things do in direct sunlight.
    Tie or sew loop. Many colours. Will last. Strong
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Web-cinch buckles
    I'm thinking wrap the tree is CCF under the webbing, then paint whichever webbing you decide on. The UV will attack the paint first.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Howdy,

You bought the house and I assume the tree. If that's the case you are free to "abuse" the tree as much as you please. More on that later.

You mention you have a son who may or may not be swinging on the hammock straps. As a father, I'd suggest steel cables, chains, large eyebolts or hooks. I know the whole tree loving community just spewed cheerios, coffee and other miscellaneous partially consumed edibles all over their monitors and keyboards. BUT, your kid is well... human, and your tree just doesn't rate as high on the value charts.

My parents sunk 1/2" hooks into 2 pine trees about 30 years ago for a hammock overlooking a lake, when we sold the place the trees were still standing, only taller and thicker, we couldn't find more than a small bump where the tree consumed the hooks. Not a soul fell from failure, nor was any tree harmed in the making of much merriment.

Pro-tip, paint the eye bolts black and back the out a bit every decade or so.

Just a suggestion from a guy who loves trees but prefers people. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
    There's a very stout tree in the corner of the back lot, and a shed >20' away. I'd like to find some huggers that I can leave on the tree: one for the hammock, and probably another one for a swing for my son.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    You mention you have a son who may or may not be swinging on the hammock straps. As a father, I'd suggest steel cables, chains, large eyebolts or hooks. I know the whole tree loving community just spewed cheerios, coffee and other miscellaneous partially consumed edibles all over their monitors and keyboards. BUT, your kid is well... human, and your tree just doesn't rate as high on the value charts.
    I’ve been tuning into this thread throughout the day, but it’s been a busy one: picked up & installed a fridge, rewired a few rooms and moved more boxes than I thought we could fill (and didn’t make a dent).

There’s a lot of carefully considered advice in this thread that I appreciate, but I’ve just sat down and had the chance to read a bit. Your suggestion is very likely what I’ll end up doing. I had already thought over that I should circle a stud in the shed with a cable rather than using an eyebolt. As for the tree, here’s some context I didn’t provide earlier: it’s very likely to be cut down in 3-5 years anyway. So some sort of metal/mechanical solution that offers a high safety factor is probably the best way to go.

Also, re: hang angle; the main trunk of the tree is quite high. It also has a very thick branch that extends toward the shed and above it, and I believe the shed roof is >10’ high on that side. I just might be able to get anchors high enough to hit that 30-degree sweet spot.

Thanks all... now, back to the fun of Old Home Restoration While Simultaneously Moving In.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't see what's so hard about taking the straps down, especially if you're taking the hammock down. I would personally prefer to hang in a hammock (using tree straps) that's not a time bomb waiting to go off.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I don't see what's so hard about taking the straps down, especially if you're taking the hammock down.
    If they're 12' off the ground... it may prove challenging.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast