Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images

Hanging and Hiking with son

Took a week off to go camping. My youngest son met me at the Yates Place Hang on Saturday where we ate lots of food and stayed dry in our hammocks during the rain Saturday night. Always good to meet old friends and hopefully make some new ones. Of course Sam was busy making friends with everyone, especially if they would share food with him.

Sunday AM we left for the Foot Hills Trail in SC. Rained most of the way down there but the rain cleared up by the time we got there and we had a great view of the foothills. Spent the afternoon going thru my gear to set aside the stuff I would not need ( cold weather clothing ect ) and to go thru my son's gear to weed out duplicate gear he would not need.

Spent the night at Oconee State Park. Monday AM we drove up to Bad Creek Access and saw how rugged the area is and decided we did not have enough time to do the whole trail so we would just do a section hike from Bad Creek back to Oconee SP. Went back to Oconee and drove to the Foot Hills Trail Parking area to leave one car. Saw three cars had been broken into Sunday night. A park ranger and two SC police where there investigating. The park ranger said they are not allowed to put up lights in the parking area. Maybe they should do a trail camera or install a video camera with internet feed. Filled out our hiker registration form.

We then drove back to Whitewater Fall parking area and started our hike at 11 AM. Sam was carrying his own Ruffwear pack with his food and tent. The pack did not slow him down in the least and he always wanted to be on point.

The trail was more rugged than I thought with all the switchbacks and all uphill so we were going slow. We did come across a group of 4 hikers and Sam had to make friends with them. About three PM it started to rain. Luckily we were at the top of the mountain and saw a good camp site next to the trail with a great view so we stopped and set up camp. I took some Tylenol PM and took a nap. Woke up just before sunset and the rain had stopped. Found enough dry wood to make a small fire. Once the sunset we had a great view looking east and the lights in the distance looked like a Xmas tree on its side all lit up.

Only got down to low 40's and could hear the wind blowing around us. Sam would not sleep in his tent and kept walking under my underquilt and knocking it to one side. I would readjust the UQ and be warm again until Sam decided to walk under my hammock and knock the UQ to one side again. Had to be quiet when opening the zipper on the hammock because if Sam heard me, he came over to stick his head inside my hammock to see what I was doing. Otherwise I was nice and warm.

We got up and were on the trail by 9 AM. Came across a spring where we filled up our water bottles. We kept looking for the NC/SC sign along the trail but never saw it.

When we got to Sloan Creeks Crossing we decided to end the hike. My son had some massive blisters that were making it hard to walk and my right hip was on fire. My son went and got his car and we drove back down to Oconee where I got my car and we sadly headed home.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Some more pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a great trip

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBB1.7 / XLC1.7
    Tarp
    Chinnok 12x14
    Insulation
    Wookie20/Leighlo40
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    Looks amazing! I can't wait to get out with my son (age 4).

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Great pics. And at least you were able to get some time in the woods.

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Sad about the car breakins, this has kept me from doing out of the way fed forest and wilderness areas like I used to when I used to have a rolling junker. Now I only do state and national parks with controlled access, but its cool because I still have fun.

Good on you for driving on through the hip pain, I'm 64 and identify with this, you just gotta keep moving.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly-Custom
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    All Sorts of
    I'm sorry to hear you had to cut it short, but I'm glad y'all got to get out on the FT! Love the pictures, I'm glad to see Logan and I weren't the only ones seeing the pink all over the tree roots! We figured it was trail workers marking the bigger roots so people wouldn't trip on them. Your guess is as good as mine though
    "The world is a complicated place Hobbes"
    "Whenever it seems that way, I take a nap in a tree and wait for dinner"
    -Calvin and Hobbes

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I also thought it was some sort of trail blaze until I took a closer look. I figure it is some sort of fungus.

We may not have gotten very far but still had a good time and have discussed going back for round 2.

Sam was so tired he slept the whole way home.

Hammock
    11' Argon
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    HG UQ - DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar Tree Straps
    Great pics and looked like a good time. I have to admit that I thought Sam was your son until I read that he would not sleep in his tent and kept walking under your hammock. I noticed Sam in the pics after that and had a good chuckle at my expense. Hope you and your son ate well too.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Great that you can get out and enjoy the outdoors with your son. There are some really nice views on the section you covered, but there is so much more to see. I hope you can make it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast