Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    I have been in some pretty torrential downpours (sweet Mother Nature!) while in my hammock. But with a good tarp you can pretty much make it through nearly anything.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    UGQ Down
    Suspension
    Treeee straps!
    Quote Originally Posted by clingy_possum View Post
    I have been in some pretty torrential downpours (sweet Mother Nature!) while in my hammock. But with a good tarp you can pretty much make it through nearly anything.
    "nearly" here seems worthy of a story...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gillam View Post
    I am heading to Georgia next weekend to hike the Georgia section. While I realize that a hammock is a fine choice, I don't have a ton of experience hanging in strong winds or severe storms and am thinking about taking a tent. Should I be greatly concerned about using a hammock in these types of weather?
    I envy you the trip for all the fun you'll be having. Trail is a bit crowded now, but with the hammock you'll be better able to find hanging spots than clear spots for a tent. Weather is a non-issue, especially since you've got a tarp with doors. You'll be better situated and more comfortable than the people in tents or the shelters.

I'll toss in a couple of video links below in case you wanted to see part of the Georgia section. I've done only as far north as Lance Creek going in a straight line from Amicalola, but I've hiked over Blood Mountain a couple of times recently and you'll love the views with the leaves off the trees.

Video links if you're interested:

Amicalola to Lance Creek, October 2018: https://youtu.be/CDFahHLm9YQ?list=PL...UceTAdHHxBUOpQ

Amicalola to a bit past Cooper Gap September 2017: https://youtu.be/7WVF3paseHQ?list=PL...UceTAdHHxBUOpQ
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Take the hammock.
    Embrace and learn.
    Shug
    The first time I ever used a hammock/tarp/TQ/UQ/everything was in the middle of a day-long downpour on my first day hiking the Appalachian Trail. If I muddled my way through, you'll be fine!

Lows low to mid thirties, highs in fifties with 20% chance of rain sounds like great time to hike and hang. Remember bear canister requirement from Jarrard to Neals gap.

Hammock
    WBB1.7 / XLC1.7
    Tarp
    Chinnok 12x14
    Insulation
    Wookie20/Leighlo40
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by skater View Post
    Be sure to create a rain break (Dutch bling, a shoestring, or such) to stop water from running down your suspension into your hammock.
    This is something easily forgotten until you are awoken at 3am (or some other ungodly hour) due to a drip drip drip sound on your quilt or head! Then it is remembered quite quickly and with haste!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If you are worried about the tarp/wind strength issue, you can put split rings on the tarp guy out points. The split rings will stretch out (fail) before the tarp will. Note that the Ridge Runner is usually set up with the suspension apex points about 13 ft apart. So those will stick outside your 12 ft tarp and the doors may not close completely.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    I live out West. Some places I go has no trees so when car camping I pack my truck for every situation. Then fill my packpack at the trail head for that hike.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Learned my lesson long ago when assisting a XC Ski instructor. In town, looking up at the mountain, it was blue sky and sunny. When we got to the lesson area, it was also windy and cold-ish. I just had a light nylon jacket because I left my down vest and anorak in town. Very difficult to play the "expert" and teach without my teeth chattering. Now the watchword is, "It doesn't hurt to put it in the car; you can decide when we get to the trailhead."
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 04-27-2019 at 14:02.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    dream hammock
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    underquilt
    Suspension
    straps
    the best way to learn is to make your own mistakes, but take advise from others that had already made them mistakes and makes your mistakes less, which is always better. i myself take a bivy along with my hammock, just in case there are too few trees or other reasons. shock cord is good for stretch , tripping over lines etc... i have ripped a tarp due to the later

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast