Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    From Warbonnet website.....Hammock 101.....https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/hammocks-101/

Find 2 trees that are ideally 13-17′ apart. Hang the hammock so that “once occupied” the foot end is about 16″ higher than the head end, and by “end” I mean the end of the fabric, not the attachment point on the tree itself. Since the foot end needs to be significantly higher, the easiest way to achieve this is often to just position the hammock much closer to the foot tree AND attach the webbing to the foot tree at head height or above. Having the head end farther away from it’s tree means it will sink more when you get in and that is usually what you want.

The BB/XLC/Traveler is designed to be laid in “off-center” so that your head is very close to the head end of the hammock while your feet are alot farther away from the foot end. This allows the fabric under your legs to spread out properly when laying on the diagonal. To do this you’ll want to lay so that your eyes are aprox. even with the farthest side tieout (BB or XLC) so that one tieout is even with your eyes and the other is chest level. Once you are laying in this correct spot you will then determine if you want the head/foot end higher or lower. Most people will want it setup so that when your eyes are even with the tieout that you are basically level/horizontal from hips to shoulders, so if your upper body seems too inclined or declined simply move the webbing up or down the tree trunk to adjust.

Here is a picture that shows much of what I have just described, the person is much closer to the head end than they are to the foot end, but since the foot end is set much higher, the person is very level from hips to shoulders rather than the torso being “inclined”. The hammock is much closer to the foot tree, and also note the upward angle of the suspension straps, you want to shoot for the suspension running upward at roughly 30 deg angle for any hammock.

Hope that helps.

Shug
    I used this same advice for Hennessy deep jungle xl. Relaxed the ridgeline by 6 inches jacked the foot way up, and the comfort level went way up. Clicks ya right in. Probably works with many different hammocks like that. Thanks for all the killer advice and videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to a spot with good trees, and took along a tape measure. Now I have a much better idea of what the setup was like when the hammock felt good, and have a better chance of setting up the same way again in the future. In my case, sliding closer to the head end of the hammock and raising the foot end helped.

16”...dang,I’m going to have to try that.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    From Warbonnet website.....Hammock 101.....https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/hammocks-101/

Find 2 trees that are ideally 13-17′ apart. Hang the hammock so that “once occupied” the foot end is about 16″ higher than the head end, and by “end” I mean the end of the fabric, not the attachment point on the tree itself. Since the foot end needs to be significantly higher, the easiest way to achieve this is often to just position the hammock much closer to the foot tree AND attach the webbing to the foot tree at head height or above. Having the head end farther away from it’s tree means it will sink more when you get in and that is usually what you want.

The BB/XLC/Traveler is designed to be laid in “off-center” so that your head is very close to the head end of the hammock while your feet are alot farther away from the foot end. This allows the fabric under your legs to spread out properly when laying on the diagonal. To do this you’ll want to lay so that your eyes are aprox. even with the farthest side tieout (BB or XLC) so that one tieout is even with your eyes and the other is chest level. Once you are laying in this correct spot you will then determine if you want the head/foot end higher or lower. Most people will want it setup so that when your eyes are even with the tieout that you are basically level/horizontal from hips to shoulders, so if your upper body seems too inclined or declined simply move the webbing up or down the tree trunk to adjust.

Here is a picture that shows much of what I have just described, the person is much closer to the head end than they are to the foot end, but since the foot end is set much higher, the person is very level from hips to shoulders rather than the torso being “inclined”. The hammock is much closer to the foot tree, and also note the upward angle of the suspension straps, you want to shoot for the suspension running upward at roughly 30 deg angle for any hammock.

Hope that helps.

Shug
    Excellent clarification! Thanks.

Banned
    Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    The dirty little secret is that whatever you do, you’ll never be as comfortable in a hammock as lying flat. Remember, in in a freaking hammock! But the positives outweigh tents on the ground.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Trecker8 View Post
    The dirty little secret is that whatever you do, you’ll never be as comfortable in a hammock as lying flat. Remember, in in a freaking hammock! But the positives outweigh tents on the ground.
    Umm, I find the complete opposite!

I regularly get 8-10 hours sleep in my hammock. I have NEVER done that on the ground.

When I put my teenage son in a hammock for the first time I had to wake him at 9am as he was sleeping so soundly.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    When camping, I've never slept better on the ground than I have in the hammock. When adventuring with Joy, I always give her the option of using the tent or Ridge Runner - she always picks the ridge runner over sleeping on the ground.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trecker8 View Post
    I definitely DISAGREE. I am the MOST comfortable and sleep better in a hammock - either in "the wild" in my back yard or in my basement.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Images
    Some people just like to stir the pot. Check this user's previous posts if you're interested. Many are of a similar nature. Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but some are more interested than others in watching the reactions they get from sharing those opinions, especially when they know it will be controversial.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 08-01-2019 at 13:14.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    However, here is my one size fits all advice: It's all in your butt. Everything else follows. So move around. In your case, I'm guessing a minor left/right adjustment will be helpful. Good luck.
    The butt really does set the tone, but try moving it in all directions, not just left and right. There’s nothing wrong with spending a little time getting the perfect position before going to sleep. Your time will be well spent.

Warbonnet advice is so good that I wonder why we don’t see it being recommended for all gathered end hammocks. What is it about the Warbonnet Hammocks that makes them uniquely suited to this hanging configuration (off center and foot noticeably higher)? Is it because of the longer ridgeline length and subsequent less sag?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast