Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ridgerunner: Double Layer required/recommended to use a pad?

I'm looking into a Ridgerunner, and had a question regarding single vs double layer if using a pad.

I'm 6'1", 190-195 lbs, so within the weight limit of the single.

I want to keep my options open for using a pad, as I suspect that it may just be really comfortable.

Where I'm confused is whether the double-layer is necessary for using a pad. Unlike a GE hammock, I wouldn't expect there to be an issue with the pad sliding around - with the narrowing of the RR at the middle & end, where's it going to go?

Or am I wrong on this? Has anyone used a pad in their single-layer? How well does it work for you?

Hammock
    DWG + SLD Voyager
    Tarp
    WBEdge+SLD WindH
    Insulation
    SLD IUQP
    Suspension
    DWG + WBFisHooks
    In my opinion, I would get the AHE UQ for the RR instead of pad. I had double layer RR and the pad makes it just a little more tippy because it elevates you more. Your call...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Papatechie View Post
    In my opinion, I would get the AHE UQ for the RR instead of pad. I had double layer RR and the pad makes it just a little more tippy because it elevates you more. Your call...
    I've heard that - but I want to see for myself how a pad feels in it.
    I'm more interested in hearing whether or not a double-layer is necessary if I end up wanting to use a pad, since I don't need the double-layer for the weight limit it provides.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    I'd say get the double layer, and use a pad. The pad widens out the hammock, so I don't feel like I'm lying in the bottom of a narrow ditch. Without the double layer, my guess is that most pads would slide up one side or the other and end up sleeping beside you in the hammock (since I've only used my double layer RR, I can't say for sure). Even when I use my underquilt (the Lynx), I prefer to use a pad as well. I haven't experienced my RR as tippy; I sometimes lie very close to an edge, just 'cause (and it feels stable to me). In any case, the pad doesn't need to be filled even half way, and certainly shouldn't be more than 1 or 2 inches deep; I can see how a deep pad, fully-filled, might make it tippy, in principle. I really like my RR.

Hammock
    WBRR, Amok Draumr 5
    Tarp
    MECGuid, Superfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead UQ
    Suspension
    Stock Buckles
    Why do you want a single layer so badly? It seems like a no brainer to get the double layer.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyM View Post
    Why do you want a single layer so badly? It seems like a no brainer to get the double layer.
    It's lighter, and it's cheaper (especially right now - the single is on sale).

Hammock
    WBRR
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Images
    I have both the single and double. I recently got the double and as an experiment I slipped my DIY Costco underquilt between the layers and it kept me comfortable during the overnight 50 degree weather. Of course, there was quite a bit of reduction in loft between the layers but it did keep me warm enough. That outer layer provided enough slack for the underquilt to retain some loft, even under my butt.

Quote Originally Posted by kentmatt View Post
    I'm looking into a Ridgerunner...Where I'm confused is whether the double-layer is necessary for using a pad.

My wife uses a double layer Ridgerunner. I also have a bridge hammock, not a Ridgerunner, that's a single layer. Keep in mind that my experience is limited, only a handful of trips with either hammock, so grain of salt time.

The double layer does keep the pad in place better. If you're going to squirm around a good bit during the night or flip flop and change positions, the double layer will be less headache in terms of keeping the pad in one spot. You can still move it a little, but squeezed in the layers it doesn't move much (depending on the pad width, I should say).

However, the pad in the single layer bridge does stay under me better, much better, than in a gathered end hammock. Once in the hammock, I usually don't move around a lot and so don't push the pad out from under myself. Getting situated is a bit of a bother and the pad will definitely move as I'm sitting down and twisting to get from seated to lying down. I've gravitated to using a pad in the bridge only as a supplement to an underquilt, not using the pad by itself because the underquilt is easier to deal with, just set it and forget it.

So if you want the least trouble, the double layer will hold the pad better. But....the single layer bridge will almost certainly be easier to deal with than a gathered end with a pad. All of my experience is with pads that are about 20 or so inches wide. A wider pad may be more forgiving, but I don't have one to play with.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    12' HG DCF tarp w/
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek xl
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    I have a double layer and slipped a pad in to see how I liked it. I noticed two things. First, it didn't provide the side coverage (or warmth) the the UQ did. I also didn't think that the 20 inch pad was wide enough to stay centered. Every time I moved I had to fight it back into position. I still like the option of using a pad but, will try it with a 25" wide version next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gillam View Post
    I have a double layer and slipped a pad in to see how I liked it. I noticed two things. First, it didn't provide the side coverage (or warmth) the the UQ did. I also didn't think that the 20 inch pad was wide enough to stay centered. Every time I moved I had to fight it back into position. I still like the option of using a pad but, will try it with a 25" wide version next time.
    Yes, I would definitely be using a wide pad - my shoulders are wider than a standard pad - just one of the reasons I'm looking at the Ridgerunner - and want the option of a wide pad.
    I'm thinking that would really be comfy for me, shoulder-wise, and the rigidity of a wide pad would form some airspace on either side for my topquilt to keep my shoulders warm (I do have an underquilt, however).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast