Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I have a DL RR and have used it with a pad (Klymit V insulated). I didn't find it to be tippy at all. Of course, I don't what it would be like putting the pad inside the hammock and laying on top of it. Over the winter I bought a Ridge Creek XL to use with the hammock and I am looking forward to using it. I did this more to trim some weight and bulk in the backpack, rather than because I was dissatisfied with the results I was getting. I am going to try it with and without a military casualty blanket in the pocket to see if makes a difference (good or bad). For me, no matter what system I use, I know I will get a great sleep in the RR.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    For the 2 1/2 ounce difference between a single and double layer (for 30D), get the double. It will reduce the hassle factor of using a pad.

Plus the weight safety factor is much better for you with the double.

I've also got a double layer and use a 3" Klymit pad. Not tippy for me. I tried tossing the pad on top rather than in between the layers. I didn't like it at all. I like the hammock fabric better than the pad and the pad in the hammock with me was fiddly as I shifted positions all night. In between the two layers, once I found my preferred level of inflation, the pad became set it and forget it.

I opt for the pad with my bridge because there are times I have no choice but to go to ground. Mayne that will change, but I don't have a Tensa4...yet!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I had to work hard to tip myself out of my Ridgerunner.
    Think it feels tippier than it really is.
    On the video at 3:03 in....
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I had to work hard to tip myself out of my Ridgerunner.
    Think it feels tippier than it really is.
    Completely agree with Shug. I was unnerved by the perceived tipiness for awhile until I played around with it and figured out how hard it would be to actually tip over. WAY harder to tip over than it felt. But it definitely took some getting used to.

Quote Originally Posted by jblaser View Post
    I have a DL RR and have used it with a pad (Klymit V insulated). I didn't find it to be tippy at all. Of course, I don't what it would be like putting the pad inside the hammock and laying on top of it. Over the winter I bought a Ridge Creek XL to use with the hammock and I am looking forward to using it. I did this more to trim some weight and bulk in the backpack, rather than because I was dissatisfied with the results I was getting. I am going to try it with and without a military casualty blanket in the pocket to see if makes a difference (good or bad). For me, no matter what system I use, I know I will get a great sleep in the RR.
    I've got the DL RR and the Klymit V insulated pad, but not had the chance to use them together yet (in the wrong country!). Can you tell me how you rate sleeping in it with the Klymit? How warm is it? How much do you inflate the pad, and how hard is it to slip between the layers? Really looking forward to trying it out!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by boothbot View Post
    I've got the DL RR and the Klymit V insulated pad, but not had the chance to use them together yet (in the wrong country!). Can you tell me how you rate sleeping in it with the Klymit? How warm is it? How much do you inflate the pad, and how hard is it to slip between the layers? Really looking forward to trying it out!
    I was comfortable into mid-upper 40s with the pad and the military casualty blanket and a 20d sleeping bag opened as a quilt for top insulation. It was the same when I swapped the sleeping bag for combined Pine Down and Costco down blankets. I didn't inflate the pad fully; probably about 3/4. I doubled over the casualty blanket under the pad. Both slide into the sleeve easily.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    I have the dual layer RR and have been using it with a down filled pad. It got down to 28 degrees and I didn't notice at all. It's *much* easier to slide the pad in between the layers without having to adjust an UQ. I may switch back to an UQ for the summer but using the dual layer makes it trivial to use. I didn't find it tippy at all. I also don't inflate the pad until it's rock hard but leave it a bit squishy.

I'll echo scrope. It's a piece of cake to slide the pad in between the layers.

I use the insulated Klymit Static V. It's 76" long, 30" wide. Fills the space well, but fits without trouble.

Coldest I've done so far is mid-40s. No hint of cool on the bottom of the hammock. Sounds like others have been out blin below freezing and remained comfortable.

I've used the pad barely inflated to fully inflated. It felt tippier at fully inflated, but I believe that it be my perception, not that the hammock was actually more tippy.

I especially like how the wide pad opens up the hammock in the shoulders.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    I'll even add in some love for using a CCF pad in the double layer. Both Z-Lite and Ridgerest work great with the sleeve, no slipping or movement. In full winter I do add a Prolite size extra small and place it in the hammock at a 90 degree angle to make a "t" with the extra width of the cross arms being for additional shoulder and core insulation. And taken to ground, the Prolite on a Ridgerest is plenty comfy.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast