Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

DIY UQ - Size & Shape Q's

In the process of buying material and planning a build. In researching UQ's I have come to find there are many different shapes and sizes.

My intentions for the hammock being made is a car camper, one that I am wanting to either make 11' or 12' by 6', so would this effect the size of the UQ?

I have read that too large and it can cause issues, but obviously I do not want to go so small that I have cold shoulders. What size UQ do you think would be best for this size hammock?

Second questions is regarding the shape. Most UQ's that I have seen are a rectangular shape, however I have seen a few that are rounded in shape (like an elongated oval with flat ends), I am assuming this makes it easier to gather the end snugly against the hammock on the ends. In theory this makes sense, but curious what your opinions are?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers!

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I assume warm weather - rectangular shape works fine. If you are 5'10" or so a 58" long by 42" to 48" wide is what I prefer for my 11 ft 60" hammock, but your 6 ft wide hammock may need a wider one.

For $25 to $30 more than a DIY, look at Arrowhead Equip Jarbridge synthetic UQ or Hammock Gear economy down UQs.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks OldPappy,

I looked at those places, but I guess my concern was the width on both of those. If my memory serves me right the Economy at HG is 44" wide and I believe the Arrowhead Jarbridge is even more narrow.

I am not set on a 6' width, it will likely end up being between 60" and 68" so there isn't a ton of fabric, but even at that size I feel I would be adjusting the UQ whenever I move. Something I don't think is too necessary when I will be car camping, and weight isn't too much of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by FastHamFreddy View Post
    My intentions for the hammock being made is a car camper, one that I am wanting to either make 11' or 12' by 6', so would this effect the size of the UQ?

What size UQ do you think would be best for this size hammock?

Second questions is regarding the shape. Most UQ's that I have seen are a rectangular shape, however I have seen a few that are rounded in shape (like an elongated oval with flat ends), I am assuming this makes it easier to gather the end snugly against the hammock on the ends. In theory this makes sense, but curious what your opinions are?
    Hi FastHamFreddy,

I've only ever made one underquilt, but I'll offer my limited knowledge. Taking your questions in order, if your hammock is 11 or 12 feet by about 60 inches, any "standard" size underquilt should fit just fine. The underquilt needs to fit you, not the entire hammock. For instance, I'm only 5'9". My full length underquilt which I made is about 74 inches long, so it more than reaches from my head to my feet. My hammock is 11 feet long by about 58 inches wide.

For your second question, I'm wondering if you're looking at a rectangular underquilt that has the ends cinched up? Most underquilts (there are exceptions like the wooki) are rectangular. I'll attach a couple of photos of mine showing it fully open and lying flat on the floor and then one of it on the hammock with me in the hammock and the end cinched up. The photo of the cinch was done to test how well it hugged the hammock and I have since changed out the grosgrain ribbon shown on the ends. The newer version cinches much tighter than what is shown. Note that even though I am on a diagonal, my head is barely above the end of the quilt and my shoulders are fully covered with room to spare.

The finished width of my homemade underquilt is about 42 inches. I also have a Jarbidge which measures about 42 inches wide as well. These are rough measurements I just now made, so not very precise. You don't need or want the underquilt to match the hammock width. The underquilt just needs to cover you across the bottom lying on your back and wrap up around, say, your shoulder area. 60 inches would be massively wide with a lot of extra fabric. Something in the mid-40 inches should be fine unless you are body builder large through the shoulders.

UQ.JPG UQandme.jpg
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    A wider body is easier and less fussy to set up, esp if your suspension dosent turn out quite right.
    Rectangle is fine. Being your first, I'd suggest regtangle and wide.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Agree on the width of the UQ not needed to be wide. It just needs to be wide enough that when you tuck in your TQ, the UQ extends past this point just a few inches to ensure a snug fit if you roll around.

I've used 36" wide UQ with great success into the 20's. Being 5'9" and 200lbs doesn't make me a huge person, but enough to know that 42" or 48" UQ would be more than enough for me.

The length is where you get your cold feet or concerns. The length of the hammock isn't important, just your height. Make it long enough to go past your head and extended feet to really get it right. Even an extra few inches to ensure the insulation is under your feet lofted and not scrunched into the end of the quilt where your feet are at.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    I finished a couple of UQs for a wide body (cold weather, fall weather), longer hammock. I did go wider and I am glad I did, avoids fiddling around to keep the quilt under you as you move and lay on the diagonal, this is a link to the build, you may get a few ideas. Notably, the clew suspension, which works really well

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...lew-Suspension

The hammock build is here, again ... these are just to give you more research material.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hameleon-Clone

Brian

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks everyone! Exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.

I'll let everyone know what I am thinking about doing. May end up making it larger, and if it doesn't seem necessary trim it down.

Cheer!

• + New Posts