ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    Down DIY UQ, bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie's, webbing
    Images
    Here is a picture of my GG 12x12. As you can see, I have it set up in the diamond shape. I ended up lowering it then tying off from the center tab you see on the lower side and pulling each edge in toward the hammock slightly. This made a "cocoon" effect. I could have easily pulled each tab together completely enclosing my hammock. I haven't added the two extra tie-offs, but plan on doing that so I can set it up in a winter tarp layout.
    IMAG0025.jpg

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    Down DIY UQ, bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie's, webbing
    Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UL and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I have the GG and love it... I am looking at getting on of the BWDD tarps too. But my GG has done the job well. I have used it both in the diamond config as well as closing off the ends. My biggest gripe (which could just be an issue with the way I am hanging it) is that looses it tension after a bit, so if the wind is blowing it whips alot. I have to get up and tighten back up.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
    living in georgia i think he wouldn't need the close up features of the 12x12.
    In Strapped's first post he said
    Quote Originally Posted by Strapped-4-Cache View Post
    ... so I'd like something that can be closed up if possible.
    So that is why I recommended against the CDF even though it's a good tarp and in camo .
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    heheh must've missed that. i just saw "not winter camping" and "georgia".

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY down quilt
    Suspension
    whoopies & webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by HannahsDaddy View Post
    Thanks for that. I was in need of a cheap tarp and that fit the bill perfectly. It's even big enough for a nasty spring storm.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    MM IX dbl
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Considering the feedback on this thread I placed an order for the GG. It's hard to refuse at $25, shipping and all.

I'm also giving the thread a bump because I'd like to get input on the other comments quoted below. Without having the tarp in hand I'm not sure how to proceed. I know that it will need a center tie for a pole mod which will then need to be sealed after it's installed. If anyone has added the tabs and/or pole sockets along the edge of one of these I'd appreciate it if you caould let me know how to handle installing them myself. I saw that 2Q(?) offers an option to sew on pole pockets for $15, but the cost to ship there and back plus the cost of the orks will exceed the cost of the tarp itself. I'd also like to have the pockets on all four edges along with a grosgrain loop if possible.

To anyone who has added tabs to the GG: Are the edges simply doubled and hemmed, or does the tarp have something like grosgrain edging it? My sewing skills are simple at best. Would the tab be sewed directly onto the tarp itself or is there a secondary fabric that the will be used to support the attachment. Or do you back the area being sewn with more grosgrain ribbon?

While I’m asking, how difficult would it be to add pockets for a pole mod? I understand that the pull-outs are a pain to do, but I’d think pole pockets may be easier. Would it be just as easy to put a pole pocket and tab at all four ‘middle’ locations around the tarp edge to allow for greater flexibility? It seems that by doing so you wouldn’t have a dedicated ridge line and dedicated ‘pole’ line, allowing the tarp to be rotated 90* if necessary. Too much? Am I over-thinking this and (very likely) making it more complicated than it needs to be?
    Anyone?

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    couldn't you simply grip-clip the middle of each side and tie out from there? essentially creating a similar space to the pole mod?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    To anyone who has added tabs to the GG: Are the edges simply doubled and hemmed, or does the tarp have something like grosgrain edging it? My sewing skills are simple at best. Would the tab be sewed directly onto the tarp itself or is there a secondary fabric that the will be used to support the attachment. Or do you back the area being sewn with more grosgrain ribbon?
    I put a backing triangle of ripstop under the tarp to reinforce it and sewed the web loop onto that.
    While I’m asking, how difficult would it be to add pockets for a pole mod? I understand that the pull-outs are a pain to do, but I’d think pole pockets may be easier. Would it be just as easy to put a pole pocket and tab at all four ‘middle’ locations around the tarp edge to allow for greater flexibility? It seems that by doing so you wouldn’t have a dedicated ridge line and dedicated ‘pole’ line, allowing the tarp to be rotated 90* if necessary. Too much? Am I over-thinking this and (very likely) making it more complicated than it needs to be?

Thanks for your input,

- Mark (S-4-C)
    I think you are over thinking it see below.
    Quote Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
    couldn't you simply grip-clip the middle of each side and tie out from there? essentially creating a similar space to the pole mod?
    You wont have to grip clip the middle if you mod the center, because it just so happens that 2 loops will already be where you need them for the center tie outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    I put a backing triangle of ripstop under the tarp to reinforce it and sewed the web loop onto that.

I think you are over thinking it see below.

You wont have to grip clip the middle if you mod the center, because it just so happens that 2 loops will already be where you need them for the center tie outs.
    I just got 2 of the 12X12 GG tarps and they already have the center ties out sewn on from the factory. So maybe they have changed them?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast