GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images

hex tarp: how to deal quickly with the doors ??

Doors are a nice add-on to a hex tarp and I would say a necessary one in the end, because if it starts to rain, then you can most likely have a little bit of wind and the ends of your hammock are then at risk to get wet if the doors are not deployed, at least, to me, this very thought is enough so that I don't sleep very well.
    That somewhat questions for me the very HEX design itself because: when are you setting your tarp if not when there is a rain forecast, and if the tarp's coverage is not enough without the doors deployed, then why not having a rectangular tarp at least in the first place ? Possibly with doors ?
    Anyway, what typically happens is that I set the four corners of the tarp in the first place and then I'm pretty happy with it but at some point in the evening or, worse, in the night I will have to deal with those goddamn doors if the weather turns nasty. You can try to link them together: hmmmm, doesn't look very good ; you can try to attach them to the continuous loops of the hammock, hmmmm doesn't work well. You can try then to attach them together behind the trees where the hammock is hung from, that requires extra guy line and doesn't work perfectly either. In the end you find out that these doors have to be attached like anything else, to an anchor point, vegetation or peg.

So my question is: did anyone invent something faster than loosing twice the time you would loose with a rectangular tarp because of the doors ??
    Thanks !!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    One of the YT channels I follow has a solution that works with full doors on a DCF tarp: https://youtu.be/KR2BbKGwPyc?t=346

Basically, a length of shock cord with mitten hook on one door attaches to the opposite corner staked guyline. Repeat for the other 3 doors.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    One of the YT channels I follow has a solution that works with full doors on a DCF tarp: https://youtu.be/KR2BbKGwPyc?t=346

Basically, a length of shock cord with mitten hook on one door attaches to the opposite corner staked guyline. Repeat for the other 3 doors.
    These are really good ideas. Thanks a lot. I am not sure how well it will work when the tarp is more open, because I usually like it somewhere between this and a porch mode, but I will give it a try. The idea with the poles is good too.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Doors are options. How you use them is up to you. Whether it’s a hex/cat cut or a rectangle, you will need to tie them closed somehow. So where you’re getting the time difference is beyond me?

Options-
    - Snaps, ties, carabiners, zippers, or Velcro have been used to seal doors.
    - A water bottle can be attached to the door tie outs to keep tension on doors.
    - Prior to bedtime, batten down the hatches. Close things up tight and sleep knowing you won’t have to deal with the rainy, windy night.
    - Criss-cross your lines around the trees. This will allow the doors to close more completely.

A few extra feet of guy line is good insurance for a variety of tarp setups. Porch mode off to adjacent trees, without using a prop or hiking pole.

From porch mode, always have a plan to quickly re anchor your tarp and close the doors if the weather does change.
    You can set up in full storm mode, then prop up a corner or two for the “view” knowing you can quickly return the set up if need be?
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouskof View Post
    when are you setting your tarp if not when there is a rain forecast,
    i always set a tarp to
    A) block the 4:30 am sun from waking me too ridiculously early
    b) keep the squirrels from bouncing crap off of my face all night long cause they're bored
    c) unexpected rain
    d) i bought the tarp, i'm **** well gonna use it, lol

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

I manage my doors with Tato door connectors and shock cord. the tato door clips can be purchased from dutchwaregear.com, and they make deploying and putting away doors very simple.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlrocm View Post
    I manage my doors with Tato door connectors and shock cord. the tato door clips can be purchased from dutchwaregear.com, and they make deploying and putting away doors very simple.
    I have these, but the question was more: "where to attach them without pegging four pegs or finding four trees when tarp not in full storm mode"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouskof View Post
    I have these, but the question was more: "where to attach them without pegging four pegs or finding four trees when tarp not in full storm mode"

I use the Tato Door Clips too. I have them at the end of the door guy lines. The guy lines are Z-Packs Reflective Z-Line and the end has a fixed eye AND the door clip. The door end of the line uses a mini ucr so I can adjust the length of the guy line, but shock cord would work too (albeit much heavier). One of the two doors also has a micro mitten hook so the two doors can be clipped together.

If I know the weather is looking foul and I expect to have to consolidate all my gear under the tarp (as opposed to on or near one of my hang trees) then I am looking to set the doors in
    vestibule (or peak) mode, pulling them out towards the hang trees. I find this is easier to setup with the doors clipped together. I run the RL, and stake the doors before staking the tarps corners, creating the vestibule size I need. Only one door gets staked while the second door is clipped to the first. Stake out the corners and you're done.

If it's looking nice weather, where the doors will be pinned open most of the time, I simply stake out the corners and pin the doors back. At night I clip the tato connector on each door to the opposing corners guy line, right at the tarps corner. This closes the doors criss-crossed flat. Sometimes I'll close only one.. lots of variables. I prefer not going down to the corner stake simply because it's a pain to reach to unhook if it's raining and I need to get out.

When not staked out or clipped closed I clip the tato clip to the fixed eye on the door at the opposite end to pin them open. I've seen a lot of folks clip the doors on the outside of the tarp, but that seems counter-intuitive for a bunch of reasons. I clip them inside, under the tarp like Frozen does in the vid link above.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

I have 4 tato tarp connectors - one attached to each door - with a length of shock cord. when I want closed doors I can stretch the shock cord to allow the tato connector to reach the opposite side's guy out to close the doors, or ,when I dont want closed doors, the the tato connectors can reach long ways across the tarp (doors are folded under the tarp to create a typical hex) and the tato connector can clip on to the shock cord effectively putting the doors out of the way. I'll see if I can post a photo this weekend to demonstrate. I have a warbonnet superfly, and I can use only 4 stakes with or without doors closed if I want.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Thanks for the input. I guess what I miss now is more experience on the field.
    BTW, what I find more convenient than the Tato clips with shock cord are these hooks from Gossamer Gear
    ShockCordClip_2048x2048.jpg

They are much easier to untie.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast