Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SectionHiker shelter survey results surprised by hammock popularity

Here's a link to the article, which surveyed backpackers on their shelter choices:
    https://sectionhiker.com/top-backpac...urvey-results/

The part that caught my eye was this two-sentence admission: "What is surprising is how many backpackers prefer hammocks to single-wall tents. I guess I never realized just how prevalent hammock use has become."

It's no surprise to us here. Phil's articles are always worth reading and this one is no exception. I'd point to the list of manufacturer names in the preferred shelters in which several of the cottage vendors here show up well. As I said in another post along these same lines last month, there looks like a lot of room for growth and if I were a hammock vendor, I'd be bullish reading these survey results.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Not suprised to see Dutchware, Warbonnet and Dream Hammocks up there at all! SO HAPPY to see these great cottage vendors getting their due!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Those backpackers are smart

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGC Zep, TQs
    Suspension
    WB Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Here's a link to the article, which surveyed backpackers on their shelter choices:
    https://sectionhiker.com/top-backpac...urvey-results/

The part that caught my eye was this two-sentence admission: "What is surprising is how many backpackers prefer hammocks to single-wall tents. I guess I never realized just how prevalent hammock use has become."

It's no surprise to us here. Phil's articles are always worth reading and this one is no exception. I'd point to the list of manufacturer names in the preferred shelters in which several of the cottage vendors here show up well. As I said in another post along these same lines last month, there looks like a lot of room for growth and if I were a hammock vendor, I'd be bullish reading these survey results.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGC Zep, TQs
    Suspension
    WB Stock Webbing
    The follow on question I have is whether hammock sales are coming from newbies or people switching from single wall and double wall tents. Both have interesting implications, but I'd be real interested in why existing tent uses are switching if that's the case. For example, are they switching because of comfort, weight, the ability to find better campsites, or some other reason?

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Werner View Post
    The follow on question I have is whether hammock sales are coming from newbies or people switching from single wall and double wall tents. Both have interesting implications, but I'd be real interested in why existing tent uses are switching if that's the case. For example, are they switching because of comfort, weight, the ability to find better campsites, or some other reason?
    Aye, are they switching for legitimate reasons or because it's trendy right now. Of course taking in mind that currently the entire act of backpacking is trendy.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    There's some of us that just started with Hammocks, and never hiked with a tent at all

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    There's some of us that just started with Hammocks, and never hiked with a tent at all
    Then there's the old farts like me that used tent for years then stopped camping (because not sleeping is no fun), discovered hammocks and got back to Nature.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

And the man himself shows up. Cool!

To speak to your question above, I got interested in hammocks because sleeping on the ground was getting increasingly uncomfortable. At the time I had a tent and mistakenly thought hammocks might be lighter. They weren't but the weight was so close it was a wash.

What sold me immediately was the comfort of the thing. I will admit that the fiddle factor is attractive as well. Those of us who enjoy modding and playing around with our setups just like to fool with all the gear and accessories that go with hammocks. There's always something to change or try. That can be a detriment if you just want to go to sleep in the woods, or it can be an attraction to gearheads or people who like to tinker.

Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images
    maybe a follow up survey?

these are good questions!

PS really cool to see sectionhiker and hammock forums combine, overlap, whatever....

"Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast