WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Hex 12
    Insulation
    DIY TQ / UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Evo Loops & Straps

Operator 50 vs Ghost Pepper 50

I'm wondering if anyone has some insight into the differences between the operator 50 and regular ghost pepper 50. From what I can tell from the website and past threads:

Differences
    • Operator is only 50" wide vs 52" for GP
    • Build options are limited for operator

According to the web site, it looks like the fill amounts are the same if I had selected 900 down for the Ghost pepper.

Does anyone know if I configured a GP 50 with the same options (900 FP, same length, 5" taper), if it would basically be the same quilt and similar weight to the operator?

I also did some math to try and understand how weight the 50 w/ taper vs 52 with no taper factors in:

Operator 50 (standard 75 length)
    Going to assume trapezoid for purpose of area calculation which seems like it should get me in the ball park...
    Fabric area: 7125 SQ inches - 2 sides * (top + bottom width)/2 * length = 2 * (50 + 45)/2 * 75
    Fill weight: 5.5 oz
    Total weight: 10.7 oz
    Fabric weight + extras = 5.2 oz

Ghost Pepper 50 (standard 75 length 900FP)
    Fabric area: 7800 SQ Inches (2 * 52 * 75)
    Fill weight: 5.5 oz
    Total weight: 12.1 oz
    Fabric weight + extras = 6.6 oz

According to these calculations, the Ghost pepper contains 9.5% more fabric (assuming extras are similar, like snaps, etc) than the operator, yet the weight is 27% larger. So I'm just trying to get my head wrapped around what might be different.

Originally I was thinking I could order the standard GP with similar options to the Operator and come out with a quilt that weighs almost the same (other than the slightly wider GP - 4.2% increase in fabric), but now I'm not so sure after doing the math.

Anyone have some thoughts? George?

Thanks!

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG UQ, LLG TQ
    Suspension
    SpiderWeb 1.5
    Typically the Operator uses the lighter weight Argon 67 fabric vs the Ghost Peppers Argon 90. I think that is where the weight discrepancy may be coming from.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Hex 12
    Insulation
    DIY TQ / UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Evo Loops & Straps
    You may be right. I hadn't considered that as some of the other listings say that the advertised weight is based on argon 67, so I guess I just assumed it was true on that one as well. (see https://www.locolibregear.com/gear.h...egory=25043321 for example).

Would be nice if that was the case, as then i would think that if i configured the options the same (other than the extra 2 inches) then it would essentially be the same quilt.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmpterman2 View Post
    You may be right. I hadn't considered that as some of the other listings say that the advertised weight is based on argon 67, so I guess I just assumed it was true on that one as well. (see https://www.locolibregear.com/gear.h...egory=25043321 for example).

Would be nice if that was the case, as then i would think that if i configured the options the same (other than the extra 2 inches) then it would essentially be the same quilt.
    As been already said, it's all in the fabric. OS quilts are based on Argon 67, standard based on Argon 90. The only difference between the standard and OS series GP is the lack of options in the Operators.

• + New Posts