Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    3/4 Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch 1.5 Spider

Hammock and Tarp Downsizing; 10ft ridgeline to 9ft

Has anyone ever downsized in their hammock length? It seems around here that most people go up in size. But Im interested in doing the opposite.

I am 6 ft tall, my hammock is 10 ft; today I laid in an 11 foot hammock of the same model. Couldnt tell a difference..

Could I use a 9ft hammock and not notice a difference there either? With an adjustable ridgeline, length of hammock would make an even less difference correct?

Smaller hammock means smaller tarp; less overall weight and space inside pack.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Good luck with that. I started with 9 ft. hammocks and was miserable, then moved to 10 ft. hammocks and then 11 ft. hammocks, which was my sweet spot. I'm 5'11" and wouldn't go near a 9 ft. hammock.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    9 is short. I’m 5’11” and I sleep in a ten all the time with no problems. I think I like 10’6” but no one makes that it seems except tableclothfactory.com
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Images
    You can try this on a temporary basis by just whipping one end a foot short and reattaching the suspension.

You also try a folding the end of the hamock fabric and attaching suspension with a bid ol' Sheet Bend.

You will find out pretty quick if it makes a difference.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    What ever floats your boat or hang your own hang. Me personally I'm 5' 9" and I find an 11' hammock the most comfortable. I had a 10' and just couldn't get a good diagonal. If a 9' hammock is comfortable to you then you can get by with a Eno and save some money.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Let's distinguish between "most comfortable" and "comfortable enough". I'm 6x250, and own a Speer and a GTUL. Both are on the short end of the spectrum. I have slept in both, and was glad to have them. I did not lie awake half the night wishing for a bigger hammock.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Your thread mentioned Tarp downsizing too. So consider that the tarp does more than shelter the hammock. It also provides a dry space out of the hammock. My guess is, in a real downpour, you'll value that extra dry space more than the savings of a few ounces in tarp weight with a smaller coverage tarp.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    I'm exactly 6 ft and feel no difference between an 11 ft or 10 ft as well. I did try a 9 foot as an experiment picking up a 9 ft used netless tree runner once and going the reverse way I could definitely tell a difference. Very uncomfortable and seemed impossible to get a good diagonal lay.

I did also try a 10 foot tarp with a 10 ft hammock once. Stayed dry fine even in a Lake Superior sudden thunderstorm, but like cougarmeat is saying, I didn't have much margin for error so I was way more relaxed going back to a standard 11 ft tarp.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    For me, it depends on a few additional factors. The 10.5' Heavyweight DL Warbonnet XLC/Eldorado is my most comfortable hammock, although it's not my longest and widest by far. I use it at home or when weight is not an issue. But whenever I have to carry my gear, I take a 9.5' 1.7 SL Warbonnet Blackbird, which is still very comfortable. However, I have yet to find another hammock this short that I find bearable. I believe it is a combination of fabric and hammock design. I'm 5'4", so a lot shorter than you. If I would find a shorter hammock equally comfortable, I would consider switching to save a couple of ounces. But somehow I doubt that such a hammock exists. So simply try a couple of shorter hammocks and see if you can live with it. Everybody has their individual discomfort tolerance.

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    For me, it depends on a few additional factors. The 10.5' Heavyweight DL Warbonnet XLC/Eldorado is my most comfortable hammock, although it's not my longest and widest by far. I use it at home or when weight is not an issue. But whenever I have to carry my gear, I take a 9.5' 1.7 SL Warbonnet Blackbird, which is still very comfortable.
    I think those hammocks are 11’ and 10’ respectively
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast