Few quick questions on external pole mod to nylon tarp

I've got a new PU coated nylon tarp and 2 poles from Dutch to add on. It seems a lot of people recommend simply gluing on the tie outs after sewing on the grograin loops, which had never even crossed my mind. I have a few (hopefully quick) questions though.

- Will Sil-Net or similar bond properly to a PU coated nylon tarp? Or could I possibly mix up some 100% silicone with mineral spirits to make my own and save myself the $10?
    - I have a lot of scraps of fabric from other projects, including PU 1.1 nylon, PU 1.9 nylon, and some 1.6 Hyper D (among others). Am I right in assuming the PU 1.9 would be my best bet, or would the uncoated 1.6 HD soak up the silicone concoction and stick better?
    - Is there a guide to positioning the tie outs? I was planning on dividing the RL length in thirds and adding tie outs along those 2 dividing lines, but am wondering about the other axis. If the tarp is laid flat on the ground, is there a general rule how far in (toward the ridgeline) the tie outs should be in relation to the poles? The poles are 54.5" long, should each tie out be about 3" in from the end of the pole (48.5" between centers)? 6" (42.5" between centers), etc?

This tarp will be used primarily with a bridge hammock, so I'd like to get as much "lift" on the tarp as possible without adding unnecessary stress. Also, if the whole "glue" thing isn't the best route, I can certainly sew them in and seam seal if it needs to be done.

Thanks in advance

Nobody? Bueller? Guess it's time for the very permanent guessing game I'm oh-so used to playing!

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    For external pole mod the sil-net should do just fine. Make sure the surfaces are clean and the material is flat when applying it. I let mine sit for the full 24hrs to cure before messing with it.
    The positioning sounds good for 1/3 spacing. You can adjust it for more personal use if you are using a bridge and placing it more toward the ends for more room for the spreader bars or shifting the poles to one side if you want more room on the head end of the tarp.
    For attachment to the poles look at short dog bones. You can adjust the length to get the best fit and to allow for a little more tolerance in positioning the timeouts. Set the tarp up and have someone push out from the inside where you want the most room. Lay the pole across the RL and mark the position with a piece of tape or fabric marker.

This really is a simple mod and not as complicated and it sounds or seems. HYOY
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    very long straps
    I don't think SilNet can be used on PU coated material. There's the other one that sticks to PU. I don't remember the name.

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by troubito View Post
    I don't think SilNet can be used on PU coated material. There's the other one that sticks to PU. I don't remember the name.
    You are correct that SilNet is not as good for PU. Sorry I missed the PU material Use this for PU coated fabric.
    https://ripstopbytheroll.com/product...r-and-adhesive

I used SilNet on my SilPoly and it worked perfectly. I have also used it on my Membrane PU but not for gluing panel pulls on, just on the RL. I skipped the panel pulls on the last one because I prefer the internal pole mod with my hammock especially bridges.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Thanks guys. I'll order some of the Seam Grip and give it a go. It looks like some people complain that it stays tacky instead of truly "drying", I'll have to test it before using it I suppose. Looks like I might just end up sewing on the pull-outs anyways.

I tried some 100% silicone on some scrap PU nylon last night, just to see if it would stick at all. The answer is no, not even a little bit.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    After you seam seal and it has cured, dust the seam with powder (not scented) to keep it from being tacky.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Corn starch is unscented.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes

Any advice on pullout placement laterally? Pullouts are made, getting ready to sew these buggers.

• + New Posts