Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    Yeahhhhh buddy, I never said I was the smartest.

I’m actually getting ready for the PCT now and the only time I’ve set up my tent was for a class about lightweight shelters I was teaching at REI. I wanted to show them a trekking pole option and had just got it in

This is Rhys, obvs
    That's cool. How does one go about teaching a class at REI? I think it would be fun to do one on hammock camping...

Quote Originally Posted by captaincoupal View Post
    That's cool. How does one go about teaching a class at REI? I think it would be fun to do one on hammock camping...
    I started working there and after a few weeks asked if I could do some of the backpacking related classes.

At the time there were two thru hikers at the store so I think they were eager to use us.

I’ve searched through the curriculums and they have a single PowerPoint on file about hammocks.

I’ve begged them to let me do that one ( I stick to the outline but embellish where I want/think is necessary) or to let me submit a new one for review but only got a thoughtful shrug.

If I tried now it would probably be better received due to spring butttttt I’m also leaving for the the ol’ pct in a month or so

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    Yeahhhhh buddy, I never said I was the smartest.

I’m actually getting ready for the PCT now and the only time I’ve set up my tent was for a class about lightweight shelters I was teaching at REI. I wanted to show them a trekking pole option and had just got it in

This is Rhys, obvs
    lol. Shrewd = Rhys

Now it is all very clear.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
    lol. Shrewd = Rhys

Now it is all very clear.
    I definitely just read that and heard Ace Ventura in my had saying “Finkle is Eindhorn! Eindhorn is Finkle!!!”

And then giggled to myself.
    Man having the flu sucks

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Alas, I was told the Bend Oregon store (and maybe this is a new corporate policy) only allows REI employees to give presentations - I can see legal complexities if someone gets hurt following advice. Even then, REI SELLS ENO, Hennessy, and Kammok Hammocks. When I attended the Hammock presentation, the speaker only mentioned Hennessy hammocks, ENO hammocks and ENO stand.

But there are other numerous groups - Scout groups, MeetUp groups, other sporting goods stores, that might be open to a presentation of wider hammock camping options.

Also, things change. Maybe REI is now open to non-employees giving presentations about products with better quality/purpose than REI sells.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Alas, I was told the Bend Oregon store (and maybe this is a new corporate policy) only allows REI employees to give presentations - I can see legal complexities if someone gets hurt following advice. Even then, REI SELLS ENO, Hennessy, and Kammok Hammocks. When I attended the Hammock presentation, the speaker only mentioned Hennessy hammocks, ENO hammocks and ENO stand.

But there are other numerous groups - Scout groups, MeetUp groups, other sporting goods stores, that might be open to a presentation of wider hammock camping options.

Also, things change. Maybe REI is now open to non-employees giving presentations about products with better quality/purpose than REI sells.
    I am an REI employee

We, at least I, don’t overtly push our products. Admittedly REI’s hammock game is weak. Most of our customers are often surprised when they find out you can camp in a hammock. Everyone just knows ENO. REI’s Own hammocks leave a bit to be desired.

Whenever I’m doing an AT specific class I usually have my warbonnet hanging from some pegs so they can st least see it.

I’m sure the goal is to get people to a free class hoping they’ll be me up buying stuff but most people do their research at home too. I often recommend brands that we don’t carry to people; I see it as is kinda establishing a bit of local cred and generate return customers.

If they then browse the store and buy some Patagonia flannels I’m sure management is happy also.

But I’m just an hourly guy. If I’m talking to someone who wants to thru hike and we’re doing a pack fitting, in telling them about a lot of cottage industry companies that are lightweight because it serves them better.

If it’s just someone who is curious about camping and the sticker shock of a big Agnes tent pushes them away then I’m like hey check out this heavy REI half dome 2.

Whatever gets people outside

Hammock
    DH Sparrow DL #7995
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Various CCF pads
    Suspension
    Whoopies + MSH
    Images
    I'm a bit late to the thread, but I wanted to chime in and say that I really enjoyed this episode. Very informative and hilarious, too--Rhys is a really funny guy! I hope you guys have him on again at some point.

After a long hiatus, I started listening to podcasts again last summer and found yours back in early August. So I downloaded all of the episodes and went through the whole collection. I subscribe to a number of podcasts, including several camping/backpacking ones, but yours is probably the one I look forward to the most--perhaps in part because it only comes out once a month, so I end up anticipating and savoring the listening experience!

And I, like someone else said in the thread, also really like the "new-ish" segment with Gresh and Spiguyver--I keep up with Spiguyver's vids on YouTube and it's nice to see him and Gresh as part of the HYOH podcast.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that you guys are doing a fine job and hope that you keep at it for many years to come! Looking forward to Ep 43!
    Last edited by Sleepy Sasquatch; 03-21-2019 at 16:02.
    ~Sleepy

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy Sasquatch View Post
    I'm a bit late to the thread, but I wanted to chime in and say that I really enjoyed this episode. Very informative and hilarious, too--Rhys is a really funny guy! I hope you guys have him on again at some point.

:

Why thank you, sir

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy Sasquatch View Post

After a long hiatus, I started listening to podcasts again last summer and found yours back in early August. So I downloaded all of the episodes and went through the whole collection. I subscribe to a number of podcasts, including several camping/backpacking ones, but yours is probably the one I look forward to the most--perhaps in part because it only comes out once a month, so I end up anticipating and savoring the listening experience!

And I, like someone else said in the thread, also really like the "new-ish" segment with Gresh and Spiguyver--I keep up with Spiguyver's vids on YouTube and it's nice to see him and Gresh as part of the HYOH podcast.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that you guys are doing a fine job and hope that you keep at it for many years to come! Looking forward to Ep 43!
    Thanks for the compliment. We really love producing the podcast and appreciate the nice things so many people say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I just got around to listing to this poddy with Rhys. Great listen. Finally.....somebody that can spew the palaver as much as I.
    Love that my name is used as a verb~~~ something along the lines of "I did not do a Shug..."
    Truly enjoyed the listen.
    Shug the Verb
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast