Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

HYOH Podcast - Episode 42 (Rhys Hora)

In this episode, Jonathan and Mark have an amazing (and surprisingly long) chat with Rhys Hora, a class of ’17 AT Thru-hiker and contributor at the online hiking blogging magazine The Trek. We discuss his experiences from his first dose of reality and amazing sights on the trail to his love of his hammocks and their clear superiority over tents, especially on the AT. They also have an interesting conversation about their first aid kits on the trail, and how they’re different for different purposes. Finally, We keep Rhys on to discuss the idea that it might be bad for nature to enjoy nature in the trending topics segment.
    In our monthly segment, “Hanging Out with Gresh and Spiguyver”, the guys talk about food and different options on the trail.

Show Notes:
    The video “As It Happens: Pacific Crest Trail” can be found by clicking on this link.
    Here’s a site that you can use to rent a SPOT locator (you can google one too).
    If you want to look at how TreeFool builds his first aid kit, here’s his web page on it.
    As always, we always invite your comments and suggestions on our Facebook page – like us there at https://www.facebook.com/hyohpodcast and join the conversation – we love the questions we have been getting for Mark and Gresh. You can listen to or subscribe to the podcast from a link on our home page online at https://www.hyohpodcast.com or give us a review on our page in iTunes. If you’d like to buy Mark and Jonathan a cup of coffee, go to https://www.hyohpodcast.com/donate to make a one-time donation, or you can donate monthly to our Patreon Campaign at https://www.patreon.com/hyohpodcast. As always, thanks so much for hanging around!

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    The second time he slept in a hammock....was on the AT.

These kids....

I was out in it with Marcel in 16° wind chill @ about 1am when I heard him say......"I didn't really test my hammock before I started my thru-hike."

His worst night was -8° and he was in a 20° TQ

Makes me cold just thinking about that.

I just realized I had read Rhys story before.

I like his style.

Blackbird XLC/Partial UQ
    Last edited by Vanhalo; 03-05-2019 at 17:05.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Good to see another episode. I'm a little behind so it's time to do chores around the house and put on some HYOH podcast to work.

By the way, yall were supposed to bring your first aid kit to HangCon2018 for show-n-tell and give us a little class. Now you'll just have to come next year to HangCon2020.

Anticipating a good few show for tomorrows hearing pleasure.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Great interveiw but that sound quality again. I Love the “Hanging Out with Gresh and Spiguyver” segments.

I once ground my finger tip off with an angle grinder. All layers of skin to the meat. I could not get it to stop bleeding. You can imagine there was no way to close the wound. I went all over trying to find blood clotting powder like we used on the farm. Eventually I just taped it very tight and left it alone. From now on I have blood clot on me, gauze and duct tape. Real asprin and some normal band aides. I also have a tiny tube of neoporin.

I'd like to hear more about Frist aid.

I hope we can hear more about the life experiences and knowledge and less about how they got started and why they started producing product. It's usually about the same answer. I think they have more to offer in an interveiw about camping and being outdoors. Looking foward to Paul and Missy.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ35S View Post
    Looking foward to Paul and Missy.
    Wow, I haven't listened to E.42 yet, but if this is a preview, I'm really looking forward to E.43!!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post

These kids....

I was out in it with Marcel in 16° wind chill @ about 1am when I heard him say......"I didn't really test my hammock before I started my thru-hike."

I like his style.

Blackbird XLC/Partial UQ
    Yeah, he was a fun guy to chat with.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ35S View Post
    Great interveiw but that sound quality again. I Love the “Hanging Out with Gresh and Spiguyver” segments.

I once ground my finger tip off with an angle grinder. All layers of skin to the meat. I could not get it to stop bleeding. You can imagine there was no way to close the wound. I went all over trying to find blood clotting powder like we used on the farm. Eventually I just taped it very tight and left it alone. From now on I have blood clot on me, gauze and duct tape. Real asprin and some normal band aides. I also have a tiny tube of neoporin.

I'd like to hear more about Frist aid.

I hope we can hear more about the life experiences and knowledge and less about how they got started and why they started producing product. It's usually about the same answer. I think they have more to offer in an interveiw about camping and being outdoors. Looking foward to Paul and Missy.
    Sorry about your finger, that sounds really painful.

Yeah, sound quality for a bunch of remotes is always a challenge. I'm glad you're able to enjoy the content regardless. Thanks for the suggestion about First Aid - maybe we can find a hanger who might be interesting in chatting about it, I'm interested in it too. I'm looking forward to Paul and Missy as well, should be a great interview. That being said, I'm in business so that interests me and drives some of my own questions. But we have definitely brought on more characters so that we can have both kinds of episodes for all sorts of listeners. Thank you for your honest feedback, I really appreciate it.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    Good to see another episode. I'm a little behind so it's time to do chores around the house and put on some HYOH podcast to work.

By the way, yall were supposed to bring your first aid kit to HangCon2018 for show-n-tell and give us a little class. Now you'll just have to come next year to HangCon2020.

Anticipating a good few show for tomorrows hearing pleasure.
    Good to see you on the Forums, and glad you're still enjoying the podcast!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Wow, I haven't listened to E.42 yet, but if this is a preview, I'm really looking forward to E.43!!
    Oof. Now we have something to live up to.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post

These kids....

I like his style.

Blackbird XLC/Partial UQ
    Yeahhhhh buddy, I never said I was the smartest.

I’m actually getting ready for the PCT now and the only time I’ve set up my tent was for a class about lightweight shelters I was teaching at REI. I wanted to show them a trekking pole option and had just got it in

This is Rhys, obvs

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast