Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hex 2.4 gathered
    Tarp
    Xenon wide asym

Want to know what other Hefty Hangers are using.....over 300lb hangers only

So.....I'm 50 years old, 6'2" tall, 315lbs. Down from 370lbs. Just wondering what other "heavy hangers" are using for suspensions. Most hardware sold has a 300lb or less weight limit. Are people using hardware anyway?

I use 12' UCR's made out of 1/8" amsteel, larksheaded to 4' long 3000lb webbing and connected to my hammock using Evo loops made of 1/8" amsteel. This suspension is super light, super compact, and super adjustable. Can also support over 400lbs

If your over 300lbs, im interested in what your using
    My worst night in a hammock was still better than my best night in a tent!!!!

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    I use a very similar set up. 1" UHMWPE straps w/ 7/64" UCRs or Whoopies Larksheaded to the straps like you have. (you know the UCR story... ) This in turn is attached to 1/2 nylon webbing loosely looped through the hammock channel all held together with 12 kN caribiners. FYI our stats are the same except I'm 6'7" and only dropped from 370 down to 317. Good job I know what it takes.

Hammock
    Hex 2.4 gathered
    Tarp
    Xenon wide asym
    oh yeah, UCR's.LOL. I just made a couple today with the whipping on constricter. plan to try them out Monday and Tuesday night

Hammock
    Hex 2.4 gathered
    Tarp
    Xenon wide asym
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    I use a very similar set up. 1" UHMWPE straps w/ 7/64" UCRs or Whoopies Larksheaded to the straps like you have. (you know the UCR story... ) This in turn is attached to 1/2 nylon webbing loosely looped through the hammock channel all held together with 12 kN caribiners. FYI our stats are the same except I'm 6'7" and only dropped from 370 down to 317. Good job I know what it takes.
    Is this the set up you used when you were 370lbs?

Not that you were hanging from this in a life or death situation, but the working strength of this(7/64 amsteel and UHMWPE webbing) are only 320lbs.

I would lose the nylon webbing and caribiners for Evo loops. I love these things.

Watch these videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3c4rgetTtU&t=299s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk_kjzEWICc

This is how to make the button knot:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNlgAqo0cc8&t=2s

About losing weight, yeah tough. I had no choice, had some health issues at the end end of last summer. High blood preesure, Diabetes, all kind of other issues and even after losing probly 20lbs during summer. So back to the gym starting Sept 4th, 2018. Down 55lbs, only 65lbs to go. ugh!! LOL

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    6’3” and about 375 here. Been using ⅛” amsteel CL’s and Warbonnet cinch buckles. No back up hitch necessary. Only component I’ll swap out is the webbing. If I’m backpacking, I bring 15’ long dyneema/polypro straps from Dutchware. If I’m car camping or likely to be in a spot for a few nights, I bring some bomb proof polyester straps from Strapworks.com (breaking strength 3585, working load 1200). This set-up hasn’t dropped me yet.
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Hammock
    Hex 2.4 gathered
    Tarp
    Xenon wide asym
    Quote Originally Posted by jcksparow View Post
    6’3” and about 375 here. Been using ⅛” amsteel CL’s and Warbonnet cinch buckles. No back up hitch necessary. Only component I’ll swap out is the webbing. If I’m backpacking, I bring 15’ long dyneema/polypro straps from Dutchware. If I’m car camping or likely to be in a spot for a few nights, I bring some bomb proof polyester straps from Strapworks.com (breaking strength 3585, working load 1200). This set-up hasn’t dropped me yet.
    hoping to meet you at the hang in July. Still working on switching things around. Supposed to go St.Louis that week. If nothing else, I'm gonna try to make the last day before you pack up and meet some of you.

The dyneema/polypro straps have a working load of 300lbs I believe. They ok with the buckles?

I used to use the Dutch aluminum cinch buckles(descender rings before that), they were nice. Easy adjustment, just not a fan of webbing suspension.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefty Hanger View Post
    The working strength of this(7/64 amsteel and UHMWPE webbing) are only 320lbs.
    Per the manufactures specifications:
    Amsteel 7/64" avg breaking strength is: 1600lbs and the min. break strength is 1400lbs. Per the retailer the UHWMPE webbing break strength is: 1700 lbs. I'll assume that is an average break strength.

Working load is the maximum recommended load for a given safety factor. The safety factor used is based on potential variability of product wear, stress raisers (knots, bends, etc.) and user. Weather your working with an average break strength or min break strength also factors.

Thus at an assumed 350lb load Amsteel has a SF of 4. and the webbing is 4.9.

I'm good.

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefty Hanger View Post
    hoping to meet you at the hang in July. Still working on switching things around. Supposed to go St.Louis that week. If nothing else, I'm gonna try to make the last day before you pack up and meet some of you.

The dyneema/polypro straps have a working load of 300lbs I believe. They ok with the buckles?

I used to use the Dutch aluminum cinch buckles(descender rings before that), they were nice. Easy adjustment, just not a fan of webbing suspension.
    The dyneema/polypro straps work excellent with the buckles. There was a fair bit of initial stretch when I was first breaking them in, but I’ve had no complaints since. I prefer the Strapworks polyester straps, but they are about double the weight (comparable to Dutchware’s 3000lb webbing).

For me, a webbing suspension cannot be beat. Whoopies are fun, but the extra attachment points and increased minimum hang distance is just annoying. With long straps, I don’t have to worry about tree spacing or girth. Set-up is a breeze, adjustments are easy, and it’s the most reliable suspension I’ve used. I had some early problems with those aluminum cinch buckles and descender rings slipping on me or shredding webbing under heavy loads, but the Warbonnet ones have never failed me. Dutchware offers their own version called the June Bug Buckles.
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Hammock
    Hex 2.4 gathered
    Tarp
    Xenon wide asym
    Whoopies are fun, but the extra attachment points and increased minimum hang distance is just annoying. With long straps, I don’t have to worry about tree spacing or girth.
    I don't like Whoopies, to hard to loosen. My UCR's on the other hand. Love them. Minimum hang on them is less than 18". Still more than webbing suspension, I know. Only close call ive ever had, hung my foot end off the CL, had 2' off head end. Also I found that Amsteel takes up less space than webbing. Granted....were talking the size of 1 golf ball with amsteel, compared to 2 or 3 golf balls with webbing of same length. every little bit of space in my pack is a plus for me

I had some early problems with those aluminum cinch buckles and descender rings slipping on me or shredding webbing under heavy loads
    Exactly why I stopped using them. Just figured with my weight, that's how it was gonna be with any webbing suspension. I tried Beetle Buckles for 1 night last year, but they did same thing to webbing.

the Warbonnet ones have never failed me. Dutchware offers their own version called the June Bug Buckles.
    Good to know. No experience with these as I had given up on webbing suspensions.

Hammock
    Hex 2.4 gathered
    Tarp
    Xenon wide asym
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Per the manufactures specifications:
    Amsteel 7/64" avg breaking strength is: 1600lbs and the min. break strength is 1400lbs. Per the retailer the UHWMPE webbing break strength is: 1700 lbs. I'll assume that is an average break strength.

Working load is the maximum recommended load for a given safety factor. The safety factor used is based on potential variability of product wear, stress raisers (knots, bends, etc.) and user. Weather your working with an average break strength or min break strength also factors.

Thus at an assumed 350lb load Amsteel has a SF of 4. and the webbing is 4.9.

I'm good.
    Your good now, but when you were 370lbs?

Ive always gone with work load being 20% of average break(probly over cautious). Don't know the whole safety factor stuff. But like I said, not like your hanging for your life. I do sleep better knowing im within that 20%. LOL
    Last edited by Hefty Hanger; 03-04-2019 at 07:06.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast