Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
Sounds like a raging success!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

We had a really good time. Some lessons learned, but nothing painful or the hard way. Definitely should have brought something to sit on. Only brought one pad and didn’t want it to be a mess from the snow/slush to then go in my son’s hammock.

Using the spreader bar to sleep side by side was good for his comfort, but when it’s that cold, I was checking on him every time he shifted/tossed/etc to make sure he was warm. He woke up around 11:30pm losing his mind that he was too hot. I guess being too warm when winter camping is somewhat of a win. I didn’t sleep very well being being concerned about him and still needing to tweak the UQ. I’m proud of my boy for how well he handled his first winter camping trip. Low was in the high 20s. We got up around 8:15, broke camp, hiked back to the vehicle and went home for pancakes and bacon. My daughter wants in on the next trip.

The small asym Hennessy tarp clipped into the rings/mitten hooks of the bigger hex tarp very well. Almost made doors for a winter setup by joining the two remaining corners with a clip and a single stake. Would have worked just fine on Friday night with the freezing rain/snow.

Being so close to home and having my sister and her husband in the neighborhood, my BIL hiked up to join us for about an hour an half last night. Good times and looking forward to the next one.

Two weeks straight coming up in the hammock, then I’ll find a trip to do with my daughter, and then a fly fishing/turkey hunting camping trip at the end of April and then Spring MAHHA with the kids.

The time with my son and upcoming trips were totally worth the cost of quality hammock gear and insulation.