Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH 30D Hex
    Insulation
    CRO 30*TQ/20*UQ
    Suspension
    DW Bettle Buckles

Need to make some adjustments - hammock, UQ and tarp

After a few trial runs on a DIY stand in the garage, I got out last night for the first overnight hang in the woods. I had planned on taking my son, but the weather forecast was ugly and I felt like it was better to go by myself based on tarp size limitations and the rain/freezing rain before transition to snow. I stayed home and watched a movie with the family before heading out around 8:15pm. It was dark, but I had time before the precipitation was supposed to start to get the tarp up and settled in.

Where I need to make adjustments:
    1) Hammock - had a pretty good tight ridge running through the middle of the body. I'm thinking that was due to the hang angles not being right causing the SRL to be too tight on the Chameleon. Trees were farther apart than I would have liked and I probably needed to get my tree straps higher up. Lengthening the straps, as they were last night, would have put me pretty low to the ground and I was expecting to get some stretch out of my straps. Didn't have a ton of time to set up before the rain moved in and it was a pair of trees that allowed me to pitch the tarp perpendicular to the wind direction.

2) Tarp, I wanted it fairly low with the light wind, but I was at the top of a ridge and didn't want to get too much draft underneath as the currents blew up the side of the ridge. The freezing rain added weight to the tarp and allowed the snow to stick to the tarp rather than slide off. The shock cords didn't work well in the cold last night and the tarp ended up almost up against the hammock and UQ.

3) UQ - I tied knots in the primary suspension to shorten the shock cord as it was way too long out of the box/stuff sack. I also had a set of Dutchware Ridgeline quilt hooks. Between the quilt being pulled so high and the hammock ridgeline probably being too tight, I felt a bit of the taco squeeze. Not so much pressure against my shoulders, but resistance against laying on the diagonal and a droopy bug net. I had it on because I'm going to be using it down south soon where I expect bugs to be out already and this was a trial run for that trip more than anything else. Even with the hardware and shortening of the primary suspension shock cord, I still had a gap between the hammock body (and my butt) and the quilt and I felt a bit of a chill. Ends were sealed up nicely, but I didn't have that warmth I know I can get. Need some suggestions on how to get the quilt up against my body without necessarily having to pull the UQ way above the side zippers and over the bug net. It's a regular length/width CRO underquilt.

I did not use any tie outs on the hammock body. If I should be, I'll start. I hear that's a personal thing.

Thanks in advance. I'd like to go out again tonight to the same place, set up in the daylight, make a few adjustments. Overall, it was a good experience. Wouldn't say I was cold, but I realize it can be much better. I was tucked in around 9:45 last night, woke up a couple of times and got up to make coffee and break camp around 6:30.

Looking forward to your tips/tricks to improve my set up.

EDIT: the two pictures that need to be rotated...not displaying that way on the computer and I don't know how to make the edit here or why it's changing the orientation.

Here are few pictures.IMG_2870.jpgIMG_2856.JPEGIMG_2861.JPEGIMG_2887.jpg

Images
    For the gap between your hammock and UQ in the butt area, it sounds like you might need to try tightening the secondary suspension.

Maybe you can arrange to meet up with a local hanger (or possibly stop by Dutchware) to set up your gear and have them give you some help getting the UQ dialed in.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH 30D Hex
    Insulation
    CRO 30*TQ/20*UQ
    Suspension
    DW Bettle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    For the gap between you hammock and UQ in the buttocks area, it sounds like you might need to try tightening the secondary suspension.

Maybe you can arrange to meet up with a local hanger (or possibly stop by Dutchware) to set up your gear and have them give you some help getting the UQ dialed in.
    I was there with Alex and Carolyn on Wednesday. Didn’t get in the hammock with the UQ for adjustments, but we talked about it. I’ll be tinkering with it today.

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix /Bur 30
    Images
    I've found that, for the sag or drop between UQ and butt, to add some shock cord from the UQ over the ridge line and back to opposite side of UQ. This helps with additional lift in the mid section. I've only needed this with my heavier (0*) UQ though. I have a HG UQ and it has "tie tabs" on it for this use.
    Deerless

You have brains in your head.... You have feet in your shoes...
    You can steer yourself in any direction you choose
    Dr Seuss

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Good idea to try again so you can set up in the daytime. When I read that you left about 8PM, it raised an eyebrow.

In the winter I make these adjustments -
    tarp ridge line: usually I run it under the tarp for more support. The main concern when under that tarp in other seasons is it can provide a highway for rain to flow under the tarp. I don't worry about that in winter.

Site selection: Not only do I check for dead branches on high - I also look out for healthy branches loaded with snow.

Site Preparation: because the snow is softer around tree trunks, you may sink a bit as you place the suspension. As such, it is not unusual to have to dig out some snow under the hammock. I can use that snow to make a wind break around the outside of the tarp.

I also pack the snow under/around where the hammock/trap will be so it will be solid when I set up. For example, at the tarp guy points, I'd pack the snow, then leave it alone for 5 - 10 minutes to set up. Then put in a stake and give it a few minutes to set up before I put the strain of a tarp on it.

And I pack a path to where I'm going to water a tree at night - so I don't find myself walking though knee deep or higher snow. The cold already makes things hard to find.

When I'm alone, I use an UQP (under quilt protector) because it makes setting the tension on the UQ less critical.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Underquilt should lift empty hammock a foot higher than empty hammock by itself.
    Also to fight accordion effect, secondary suspension should be tight enough towards trees that underquilt does not gather extra fabric towards lowest point by sliding along primary suspension.
    Easier to see in Shug’s video in ten part series.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH 30D Hex
    Insulation
    CRO 30*TQ/20*UQ
    Suspension
    DW Bettle Buckles
    Much better set up this afternoon. Tied knots to shorten the primary suspension and tightend the secondary. Have Dutch’s spreader bar and brought my six year old along. We ate around 5 for the first of a four or five course meal. He’s having a blast. Have a small fire going to cook and enjoy chatting around. I have his multi colored party lights on his ridgeline. He’s enjoying poking at the fire with a stick. Hot dogs and marshmallows are coming up. Enough of the phone. I’ll update in the morning.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Sounds like a raging success!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie and LL TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    My worst hangs have been when I rush to setup in the dark or cold. When it's light out and there are no storms bearing down, you have time to tweak things. And you're more likely to do so. Not sure where I saw it suggested on the forum, but I what I have found to be true is if things feel off when you first set up, fix them right then. Don't try to power through, thinking you can ignore it. If something doesn't feel right when your trying to fall asleep, guaranteed it will wake you up in the middle of the night and need attention. Credit to Shug because, thinking about it, it sounds like his kind of great advice anyway.

Glad to hear the second trip seems to be going well.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH 30D Hex
    Insulation
    CRO 30*TQ/20*UQ
    Suspension
    DW Bettle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by reznix View Post
    My worst hangs have been when I rush to setup in the dark or cold. When it's light out and there are no storms bearing down, you have time to tweak things. And you're more likely to do so. Not sure where I saw it suggested on the forum, but I what I have found to be true is if things feel off when you first set up, fix them right then. Don't try to power through, thinking you can ignore it. If something doesn't feel right when your trying to fall asleep, guaranteed it will wake you up in the middle of the night and need attention. Credit to Shug because, thinking about it, it sounds like his kind of great advice anyway.

Glad to hear the second trip seems to be going well.
    Well, I’m going to have to get used to it and better at setting up in the dark as that’s how I expect every set up to go for about two straight weeks coming up. I toss and turn sleeping on the ground waking up regularly due to being uncomfortable. I don’t see how it could be worse in a hammock if I at least get it close. The I still need to adjust the underquilt to be tighter to the hammock. I got up and tied another knot to shorten the primary suspension at one end last night. Still not quite there. I’m thinking that’s where then problem is, not the secondary. Secondary seems to be used to determine where, laterally, the quilt hangs so it matches where you lay, rather than raising or lowering it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast