banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief

Left/right lay preference, handedness, and scoliosis

I’m trying to understand what accounts for a left or right diagonal lay preference. Reviewing old threads, it appears that there is a weak correlation with handedness, feet pointing in direction of dominant hand. But exceptions.

It occurs to me that right and left lay each twist the shoulders slightly out of alignment with the hips, in a way that flat beds or some non-GE hammock do not. I think it’s also true that most people have at least a tiny bit of scoliosis, too mild to call it that, but spinal asymmetry all the same. Could there be a more robust correlation for lay preference here than handedness?

My right shoulder is about half an inch lower than my left when I’m standing “straight.” (I think it was growing years shouldering a heavy book bag off right shoulder for long walks to/from school.) I’m right-handed and lay with feet right 98% of the time.

What about you? If you lay with your feet pointing opposite your dominant hand (the minority case), does one of your shoulders droop a little opposite that hand?
    Last edited by Latherdome; 03-02-2019 at 10:01.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Images
    The end table that has my glass of brandy and the stereo controls is on my right, so ... right side indoors.

Outdoors, I have a left lay WBBB and that’s that.

I don’t feel I have a preference for hammocks. However for sleeping In general, i favor left side for reasons unknown.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I use symmetrical hammocks which allow me to change diagonals during the night. I'm a turbulent sleeper

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I heard about the right/right, left/left correlation early on, but I'm right handed and sleep left lay (head right, feet left). Strong preference 'right out of the gate', the first time I was messing around with hammock gear that a friend lent me to try. Tried it the other way, can't stand it.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Tarp
    Outdoor Skye 10x10
    Insulation
    JC Penny Throws
    Suspension
    daisy chain straps
    I'm a newbie to hanging ad still trying to determine which lay is best for me. I'm right handed, diagnosed with slight scoliosis as a child, but no doctor has commented on it recently. Indoors, I sleep mostly on my left side. when I sit in the hammock, I seem to naturally flop to my left, and then I'm too lazy to swing my feet all the way across the hammock to get into the right lay position, so I end up in the left lay. I've been experimenting with the right lay position, it might, maybe, slightly more comfortable, but it feels weird since then my dominant hand is trapped by the hammock body.

as an aside, I had been assuming that right/left lay was defined by head position not foot position, which seemed to make sense since our heads are more important than our feet. finally found a thread last week that definitively defined it by foot position, which is very difficult for my puny imagination to grasp.

Hammock
    Amok dramur xl
    Tarp
    Wb superfly
    Insulation
    Fjol xl pad
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Right handed and sleep predominantly on my right side in bed. When I lay in a hammock the head right seems natural to me.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    finally found a thread last week that definitively defined it by foot position, which is very difficult for my puny imagination to grasp.
    Me, too, but you can't fight the widely-accepted practice. However, just to be clear, in their website drop-down menus a lot of the cottage folks will have "head right/feet left" etc to avoid any confusion.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Tarp
    Outdoor Skye 10x10
    Insulation
    JC Penny Throws
    Suspension
    daisy chain straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Me, too, but you can't fight the widely-accepted practice. However, just to be clear, in their website drop-down menus a lot of the cottage folks will have "head right/feet left" etc to avoid any confusion.
    Don't plan on fighting it, probably just will refuse to use the lingo. I appreciate the vendor's attempt to avoid the confusion and will do the same in future comments that require denoting lay direction.

Images
    Im right handed amd sleep head right feet left. Dont k ow why just feels right
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    I’m left handed and sleep head left/feet right in my hammock. I definitely have some mild scoliosis, but no droop to one shoulder or the other. I did buy an extra bug net, a symmetrical one, but find I always end up head left/feet right.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast