Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Two choices, depending on my mood:

- whoopie slings. I like the easy adjustability, the relatively light weight and strength, the cost (cheap since I make them myself) and as Shug has noted, it's fun to say whoopie sling

- 12 foot straps becket hitched to a loop on the end of the hammock. Sightly heavier than the whoopies, super simple with good adjustability over a wide range of distances
    I'm in the same camp with the exception of my lounging hammock I keep in my office at work, for that I use daisy chains and biners.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefty Hanger View Post
    never tried them with rope. I personally like using descender rings, but they always tore up my webbing. Do you attach the rings to huggers and run rope off hammock?
    Yes, rings to tree huggers (tie your own loop, sew or if your huggers already have a loop use a larks head to attach rings) & static rope as suspension from your hammock.
    Lastly a slippery half hitch as a safety.
    Last edited by ofuros; 03-10-2019 at 13:38.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Heading out to the OHT when Frog Bayou water levels recede. Trying out Kevlar 3.3 (4 ft) + Amsteel +J-Bend (total length 12 ft) and carrying a 6 ft Dog Bone for insurance. Believe suspension weighed in at about 2 ounces.

Hammock
    Dream Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBTF
    At home, with the tensa stand, I hook the continuous loop directly to the stand on the head end, and a heavy duty tree strap with a climbing carabiner connected with a marlin spike hitch at the other end, just a few inches from the end of the stand.

For outings, I recently am taking an 8' Dutch kevlar, with Dutch whoopie slings. Using a short section of tent repair tubing cut in half for my toggle. This is super quick to set up and take down and has a very wide range of short to long options.

Also have some hideous Mongo 2" straps in the reserve kit for any instances where 2" straps are required, or where I am car camping or staying with a friend. But, I don't have many real friends and rarely car camp, so that pretty much means I won't need them very often.

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    I started out with cinch buckles and tree straps with a loop at one end. Easy and quick, but if you don't set them perfect they can chew up a strap or slip ( ask me how I know ). Then went to straps and marlin spike hitch with whoppie slings connected to my continous loops on my hammock with Dutch Ti biners. Worked well, and with a short hang I would just hang my continous loops right on the marlin spike hitch. Just remember the golden rule, always hang on the knot, not the toggle
    Otherwise you end up on the ground ( ask me how I know ). Most recently I've been playing with 12ft straps and multi buckles. Just hang the continous loops off the buckle and I'm good to go. Only used it a hand full of times so far ( one time for 4 days in a row at the same spot), and am digging it so far. Easy, versatile, and light. Plus the buckles stay on the strap and I don't ever have to worry about forgetting them.
    But everybody has their own favorite way, and most people will change their opinion over time. That's one of the fun things about hammocks, you can always tweak and customize your setup on a whim.
    " No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Depends on which hammock I am using:

1) HH I have descender rings installed on which I use with straps with a half hitch
    2) One of my Dutch 11' I use biners w/daisy chain
    3) On my 12' Tablecloth I use straps w/cinch buckles from Dutch

Why 3 different types? Because I can I like each of them and since I am base camping, weight is not a factor.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by kev138 View Post
    Plus the buckles stay on the strap and I don't ever have to worry about forgetting them.
    Except that one time I bought longer straps and forgot to swap out the beetle buckles from the shorter ones. Well, at least my backup suspension worked: becket hitch the strap to the continuous loop.

never tried them with rope. I personally like using descender rings, but they always tore up my webbing. Do you attach the rings to huggers and run rope off hammock?
    Hefty,

My Descender rings are the SMC Descender Rings. I use 2 inch webbing. Going on a year and about 15-20 nights using this setup. I have no wear/tear on the webbing. The rings are super smooth. They use them for climbing applications so I imagine, unless I somehow nick the aluminum, the rings will not damage the webbing.

Best thing as mentioned above, is the infinite adjustment available. Super easy and super fast to do. Just remember to use a slippery half hitch before climbing into the hammock or your butt and the ground become one.

Have fun.

Bob

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I use Dutch Spider Poly straps with Beetle Buckles.So easy to adjust and fine tune things.
    I have the spider straps and the buckles - I as you will see a bit lower agree with SilverSurfer that the buckles just aren't that easy to adjust contrary to what everyone is telling me and they seem to tear up the straps - marlin spike hitch dutch titanium toggles on the spider straps with the CL hung right on the spike hitch. Whoopies just in case I have to bridge a huge gap.
    I don't know if it's just me, but I don't find whoopies easily adjustable. I always found them hard to loosen. specially if u have anything on your hammock. And forget it if u accidently over tighten them. The first time I accidently over tightened mine, was the last time I used a whoopy sling.

Maybe I was using them wrong, maybe people think that's easily adjustable. So much happier since I found a good UCR.
    Loved mine at the beginning but the first time you have to adjust those son-of-bastiches in the cold - fugettabouddit
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    My favorite suspension is Whoopie Slings with Dutch Whoopie Hooks. Once or twice I had to skip a whoopie sling on one side and just use the continuous loop, because it was tight between the trees.

The last couple of years I've been trying Beetle Buckles. They work no matter how close the trees, but I still haven't really figured how to adjust them.
    Chews up my straps and I can't seem to figure out how to adjust them properly - it never has been easy to adjust as advertised but I am certain I am not using them properly but just gave up.
    wow, descender rings? I used rings for years before I found the hammock forums. Had to swap out webbing every year cause it would tear it up. actually not sure if it was the rings, or the slippery half hitch I would have tie to keep them from slipping. Also used the aluminum cinch buckles which were no better on webbing. didn't have to tie the hitch with them, but they would damage my webbing after a few uses. Granted I was over 350lbs, and using plain polyester straps.

Think today if i was gonna go with that kind of suspension, think I would go with the warbonnet 1" buckle, or Dutch's June bug.

Lot of guys like the Beetles, i'm not a fan. Maybe they work better on the Spider/Poly Straps or something. But on polyester or 3000lb webbing they suck. im sure there will be guys who say they don't have a problem, but I don't like how hard they are to adjust. JMO

Good luck
    Same sentiments but basically tears up straps

So I use spider straps from Dutch with titanium toggles hung straight from the continuous loops on the hammock itself - and I bring whoopies slings as a just in case

HYOH but experiment to figure that out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    This gentleman has the same strap and hardware that I use.It's all about thumb and two fingers grabbing it with a 90 degree angle to the strap and then making the adjustment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ7qdsatLzU

And of course,a tutorial from the man Himself https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8gK4mphVcI

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast