Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    As with anything in hammocking... it depends:
    For car camping, I'll pull out the old daisy chains. Reliable, durable and easy. Down side. They are heavy at nearly 1lb so not good for backpacking.
    For backpacking I use a UCR Larksheaded to the minimum length needed to protect the trees strap. This is similar to the Hummingbird brand strap. Design requirement for this system is minimal weight yet be capable of holding 400lbs safely primary, No fuss set up second. During set up there are no knots to tie or other connections to mess with. I just wrap the tree, pull the adjustment line to desired position and done. This is similar to the buckle systems but only weighs 1oz (28g) each.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Loco Libre / JRB
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    This is one of the things I love about hammock camping: endless customization and configurations. My suspension preferences have changed over the years. I started with whoopies and straps with a marlin spike hitch (light but takes a longer to set up and adjust). Next was whoopies with spider webbing and carabiners (slightly heavier and easier to set up). I finally embraced my true inner laziness and went with Dutch clips (sewn on so I don't lose them) and cinch buckles. The whole suspension stays with the hammock. It's quickly adjustable, but 2.5 oz heavier than my whoopie setup. I love it. But hey, that's what works for me. I'm willing to carry a few more oz for the lazy factor. I'll cut the weight somewhere else.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair & WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG 12ft. Sil Poly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlrocm View Post
    I like whoopie slings and straps with a marlin spike hitch. being able to put the marlin spike hitch closer or further away from the tree has allowed me to fit into a pretty wide range of areas, and the whoopie slings make adjustments very easy.
    Dirocm took the words right out of my mouth. Could not have said it better myself.
    ~ Rerun

In 100 years it won't make any difference...

I've been using whoopie slings to a marlin spike hitch on tree straps. Question; Will a becket hitch work with amsteal? I couldn't tell in your picture what kind of rope that was.
    Thanks

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakerat View Post
    This is one of the things I love about hammock camping: endless customization and configurations. My suspension preferences have changed over the years. I started with whoopies and straps with a marlin spike hitch (light but takes a longer to set up and adjust). Next was whoopies with spider webbing and carabiners (slightly heavier and easier to set up). I finally embraced my true inner laziness and went with Dutch clips (sewn on so I don't lose them) and cinch buckles. The whole suspension stays with the hammock. It's quickly adjustable, but 2.5 oz heavier than my whoopie setup. I love it. But hey, that's what works for me. I'm willing to carry a few more oz for the lazy factor. I'll cut the weight somewhere else.
    Lakerat said it perfectly. There are endless ways to hang your hammock and the fun part for me is trying them all. I started out with my WBBB having whoopies attached, which I switched out for CLs that I attach to whoopies with a Dutch biner. Now I am playing with daisy chains and a set of Mantis hardware. I have tried varies things like a marlin spike, j-bend, etc. and just find it's fun trying different things. That's the great thing about hammock forums is seeing all the ways people hang their hammocks

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Yeah... depends...

Like so many others, I started with whoopies and don't use them any longer. Not a fan of any of the hardware alternatives.

Two suspensions are in my inventory, both use twelve to fifteen foot straps and have evo loops at the tree end. I play around with various add-ons, but always start in the same place.

15' dyneema with a beckett to the CL's and the tarp on a prussik.. as a single line suspension. I was using Myerstech dyneema but switched to Dutch Spider web.

12' Dutch 2.2 Kevlar with a beckett to the CL's.

I have some mule tape but haven't experimented yet. And, I always carry a dynaglide ucr just in case I need reach... though with long straps I have had to use the ucr in ages.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    I use the stock Warbonnet webbing & buckle suspension with a 'biner. Simple, effective, easy to adjust and everything stays attached to the hammock. This is important if you tend to leave things like tree straps attached to the tree when you start hiking in the morning.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH 30D Hex
    Insulation
    CRO 30*TQ/20*UQ
    Suspension
    DW Bettle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by reznix View Post
    I use 15' straps, dutch clips and beetle buckles for easy adjustment and simple setup. It's heavier than other solutions but gets the job done. Love my beetles.
    Only thing I’ve tried so far. 12’ straps with sewn-on Dutch clips. No lost hardware, already set up for a spreader bar to camp with the kiddos, extensive adjustments, and fast to set up.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Warbonnet Straps and buckles with the new pull tie - it's as simple a suspension system as there is and it's easily adjustable.

I like simple with few moving parts, Mostly because I am an idiot.

12 - 15 feet (X 2 ) of Webbing. 4 Descender Rings ( 2 for each end of webbing) . 2 Carabiners, one on each hammock end.

Length of webbing allows twice around tree. ( Important here in the Pacific Northwest). End of webbing, has a non sewn loop which rest of webbing is run through.

Can also do this kit without the Descender Rings and Carabiners. Just use slippery half hitches and twig toggles.

Have fun.

Bob

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast