Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Why partial or 3/4 under quilts?

I'm new to the hammock game and I don't understand why people use under quilts that aren't long enough to go from head to toe? I hate when my feet are cold at night. Is it a weight thing? If so, I would think that having to carrying that bit of extra weight for a longer quilt would be completely offset by being toasty warm from head to foot! I'm in the process of making a DIY UQ and TQ using the Costco down throws. Many instructions call for hacking off bits of the throws to make them smaller. I don't want to do that and then regret it! Please help me understand.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The partial UQ costs less. Less down and fabric to pay for.
    Easier to set in my opinion and get right on the hammock in my opinion.
    Takes up less room in the pack.
    I use a Thermarest sit pad under my feet lightly inflated to insulate my feet. Also use it around camp to sit on and fan fire. Also put my down jacket over the end of my hammock for feet warmth since the down jacket would just be in my pack.
    To me the partial UQ makes sense to about 20ºF. Then many like a full.
    My UQ Video playlist....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mBYSPGHjdyGqsL

Opinions will differ on this but this is my take on it.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    If your preference is full-length coverage then you should go that route. Partials are for a weight savings (a bit of bulk too) and you don't have to end up with cold feet. The use of a foot pad is common practice. The idea here is that you can dual use the foot pad around camp to sit on...make that log a little less lumpy. And depending on your gear choices triple use it at the back padding in your frameless pack...not all packs use a piece of foam as a pack pad so that where the gear choices come into play.

So for those that are wanting to cut ounces and can make more than one use out of the foot pad the partial length quilts make sense. Your feet are not cold as the pad provides the insulation needed there and the one piece of gear gets used for multiple jobs.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    For some of us who are height challenged, ¾ length is pretty durn close to full length. In addition to weight/bulk savings, it can be easier to get a diagonal lie without distorting the "hug" factor around my body. I've only been uncomfortable at the foot end a few times in single digit temperatures and it has easily been remedied by adding a small pad or other insulation (jacket, etc.) down there.

There is no question that a full length would be warmer. But the deal is, ¾ length, for me, is most of the time (except occasionally in winter), warm enough. So why carry more. Note that I also always use a UQP which adds to the warmth.

But if I needed a full length to be comfortable, I'd carry a full length UQ.

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    3/4 Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch 1.5 Spider
    For me, its about weight and space savings.

I also use a pillow under my knees anyway, so insulation under my calves and feet is wasted.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Less weight, volume and cost.
    Toes still stay warm with a sit pad.
    I’d go full length below 20*

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    The partial UQ costs less. Less down and fabric to pay for.
    Easier to set in my opinion and get right on the hammock in my opinion.
    Takes up less room in the pack.
    I use a Thermarest sit pad under my feet lightly inflated to insulate my feet. Also use it around camp to sit on and fan fire. Also put my down jacket over the end of my hammock for feet warmth since the down jacket would just be in my pack.
    To me the partial UQ makes sense to about 20ºF. Then many like a full.
    My UQ Video playlist....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mBYSPGHjdyGqsL

Opinions will differ on this but this is my take on it.
    Shug
    I get the costing less thing which is why I'm going to attempt a DIY project. And having multi-use items, i.e. the down coat and the sit pad, does make sense for backpacking.

Oh, BTW, I've been watching your videos and they're super helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    For some of us who are height challenged, ¾ length is pretty durn close to full length. In addition to weight/bulk savings, it can be easier to get a diagonal lie without distorting the "hug" factor around my body. I've only been uncomfortable at the foot end a few times in single digit temperatures and it has easily been remedied by adding a small pad or other insulation (jacket, etc.) down there.

There is no question that a full length would be warmer. But the deal is, ¾ length, for me, is most of the time (except occasionally in winter), warm enough. So why carry more. Note that I also always use a UQP which adds to the warmth.

But if I needed a full length to be comfortable, I'd carry a full length UQ.
    Sorry, what's a UQP? Noob here!

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueOwl View Post
    Sorry, what's a UQP? Noob here!
    Underquilt protector. They help cut wind and keep splash off the underside of your quilt.

https://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/pr...lt-protectors/
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I use 3/4 quilts exclusively, and have never been cold (I'm a warm sleeper). Like Shug, I use a partially-inflated Thermarest Lite sit pad in the footbox of my top quilt. Not only does it insulate my feet, but it also keeps the side edge of the hammock spread out, so there is no ankle pressure on my foot. It also provides a nice cushy surface for my heels. This isn't much of an issue if you're going netless or use a Fronkey style net. But an integrated bug net inhibits the spread of the hammock a little, and can sometimes cause discomfort due to the prolonged pressure placed on the ankle that rests against the hammock.

That said, even if I used a full-length UQ, I would still use the sit pad in the footbox, because for me it adds comfort.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast