Wbbb xlc
    Tarp
    Mamba
    Insulation
    Warm
    Suspension
    Buckle and Whoopie

DCF snake skins

Just ordered my first cuben tarp. I can’t find any cuben snakeskins. Where can I buy them from? Thanks

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pscanlonjr View Post
    Just ordered my first cuben tarp. I can’t find any cuben snakeskins. Where can I buy them from? Thanks
    I'm sure Hammock Gear will make you some - that's where I got mine. Dutch will probably sell them as well.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bear in mind that I have never owned cuben skins, but I've seen a number of negative comments regarding the fact that they are difficult to dry short of uppacking the tarp and turning inside out. With mesh skins, they dry completely right on the ridgeline when you deploy the tarp.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    Bear in mind that I have never owned cuben skins, but I've seen a number of negative comments regarding the fact that they are difficult to dry short of uppacking the tarp and turning inside out. With mesh skins, they dry completely right on the ridgeline when you deploy the tarp.
    Not my experience at all. Cuben snake skins dry quickly.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Wbbb xlc
    Tarp
    Mamba
    Insulation
    Warm
    Suspension
    Buckle and Whoopie
    I’m just looking for light on the trail. I always clean and dry gear at the house afterwards. I’ll try HG tomorrow.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuban w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG top and bottom
    Suspension
    Kevlar Whoopie
    I went from Cuben to mesh on the skins and am super glad about it. Just sayin!

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I’m just looking for light on the trail. I always clean and dry gear at the house afterwards. I’ll try HG tomorrow.
    I can't imagine there's a significant weight penalty between DCF and Noseeum mesh snake skins. Both fabrics are sold by Dutch and RSBTR in comparable weights. With mesh you get the added benefits of compressibility, easier drying, and significantly reduced cost. DCF is an incredible material for tarps, stuff sacks, and ultralight packs--but it just really isn't the ideal choice for snake skins. Unless of course you have money to burn and just happen to like the aesthetics of them. That being the case, I'm sure HG would be willing to work with you. They probably also have the weight data available so you could ask prior to ordering how much weight--if any--you stand to save.
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post

This season I have been exploring snake skins... I was never a fan. Still not sure if I am sold.

I started with the HH silnylon skins. They enamored me enough to cause me to try other options. I liked the easy of use, but not the size or material.

Then I made two sets of two piece noseeum skins. I like them. They dry through fast and weigh the same as the cuben skins. However, they are so slippery that they become a PITA when trying to roll the skins up for storage. On a silpoly tarp with noseeum skins...what a frustrating experience for a neat freak.

Then I picked up two cuben tarps (HG Standard with doors and HG Palace). One tarp has a single cuben skin and the other a two piece. I haven't weighed them but I'll call it a draw relative to the noseeum. The cuben skins are a joy to pack. No slipping and sliding like the noseeum. Still undecided if I prefer the two piece or one, but I am leaning towards the one piece. That said... I don't like them when they are wetted out. I packed the Palace wet with dew, using the two piece skins. I had to turn the skins inside out to get them to dry on the inside. Haven't tried the noseeum skins with the cuben tarps yet.

Like so many things.. each has its' pros and cons...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Let us know how much they charge to make the cuben skins.

Hammock
    Dutch 10' Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    SLD w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Spiguyver weighed the two before. The mesh snake skins made by HG are actually lighter than the cuben one they used to sell. 21g vs 26g.
    https://youtu.be/Z1Dq0ujw4bA

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast