Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    I’m not a fan of skins, but cuben could only make them worse in my opinion. Cuben tarps are already stiff and forcing stiff into a stiff tube? No thanks.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

DCF snake skins

I've found that "waterproof" is not a quality that I personally like in tarp skins. My experience with them mimics what MikekiM posted above. I've tried every configuration that I can think of and I've found a one-piece mesh skin to work best for me. But everyone has different needs.

I would imagine the mesh skins would be the same weight or lighter.

Plus they air out more; DCF would just lock the moisture in. I really can’t see any benefit from using a DCF skin aside from drinking the DCF cool aid.

But I store my tarp on the outside of my pack, so I like the moisture to be able to drip out and wind dry (it’ll still be damp when I hang it again but it dries quickly

Hammock
    Wbbb xlc
    Tarp
    Mamba
    Insulation
    Warm
    Suspension
    Buckle and Whoopie
    0FF2435B-943D-454C-AE47-255FE3341CD8.jpegE7413516-3418-4BBF-96B4-581FB18222D6.jpegE7413516-3418-4BBF-96B4-581FB18222D6.jpegI have the two piece mountain goat mesh skins on my membrane 10 ugh winter palace and liked them. Didn’t realize that mesh was lighter. Might try the one piece for the simple fact of having to milk the air out the tarp.
    Last edited by Pscanlonjr; 03-01-2019 at 11:08.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    I’m not a fan of skins, but cuben could only make them worse in my opinion. Cuben tarps are already stiff and forcing stiff into a stiff tube? No thanks.

Actually, cuben gets softer and softer as you use it. My two piece skins feel more like a natural fabric than a space age hybrid material. It's pretty easy to get the skin over the tarp. In fact, I find it easier to get the skins over the cuben tarp than the silpoly.

Can anyone comment on the Mountain Goat mesh skins with regard to how slippery they are? Are they made of standard 0.67 noseeum mesh?
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Actually, cuben gets softer and softer as you use it. My two piece skins feel more like a natural fabric than a space age hybrid material. It's pretty easy to get the skin over the tarp. In fact, I find it easier to get the skins over the cuben tarp than the silpoly.

Can anyone comment on the Mountain Goat mesh skins with regard to how slippery they are? Are they made of standard 0.67 noseeum mesh?
    True, but cuben will never be like Silpoly or Silnylon and stuffed into a tube, same problem. I'm thinking of giving the Dutch/HG one piece mesh skins a try, but I've sold every skin I tried in the past.

Images
    Strange i love my cuben sleeves. They slide right over without issue, not sure who would ever think a rolled up tarp would dry out because theres mesh on the outside of the rolled up tarp but it keeps my wet tarp from making other thing in my pack wet, acts as stuff sack, when I fold it up it sucks down and stays very flat, its just awesome. Not sure why anyone would hate them
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    it keeps my wet tarp from making other thing in my pack wet, acts as stuff sack, when I fold it up it sucks down and stays very flat, its just awesome. Not sure why anyone would hate them
    I hadn't thought about this.

i can attest that they are great for shipping a wet Dyneema tarp until the recipient pulls the tarp out and wets his dog.

Fail.

"wait just one more day.......let it dry"
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Strange i love my cuben sleeves. They slide right over without issue, not sure who would ever think a rolled up tarp would dry out because theres mesh on the outside of the rolled up tarp....
    Agree completely with the statement above.. They are easier to slide over the tarp. My mesh skins require a rigid end, I used a zip tie, otherwise they are impossible to slide. Not so with the cuben.

My comments were about the steps needed to dry the inside of the snake skin after storing a wet tarp. The skins need to be turned inside out whereas the mesh doesn't require that step.

....but it keeps my wet tarp from making other thing in my pack wet, acts as stuff sack, when I fold it up it sucks down and stays very flat, its just awesome. Not sure why anyone would hate them
    On the other hand, this comment ^^^^

It's a perspective I haven't considered. And, truth told, I like it. I prefer to carry my tarp inside the pack. I've done this for years with nylon tarps even more so with cuben. Hadn't really considered from the perspective of keeping the water in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
    I hadn't thought about this.

i can attest that they are great for shipping a wet Dyneema tarp until the recipient pulls the tarp out and wets his dog.

Fail.

"wait just one more day.......let it dry"
    Proof is in the pudding... neither the box nor the mesh stuff sack were wet. All water was contained inside the skins. Wasn't until the tarp was unrolled that the showers came.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Images
    If I need to dry out the skins themselves, ita because the tarps wet and also needs to dry out. When i get home or on trail i set up my tarp with trees far apart, amd simply slide the skins all the way down the suspension leaving them straightened out and allowing the breeze to blow through it drying it out. Has never been a concern of mine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast