Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    The big upside for the Lapp Knot is that it's an "exploding" hitch (i.e. it quick releases.)

The downside is that ... it's an exploding hitch. This is not what i want in a suspension line knot. I want the suspension line to go through the loop to aid adjusting. However, it has lots of other interesting applications.
    For that, there's a technique I use when tying the J-bend that works here. I attach both tree straps (head end, top of my head height... foot end, hands stretched overhead height) and then tie head end CL to that strap. For the foot end, I pull the CL/SRL until it's about level with my chin, then pull the tree strap over toward the CL, letting them overlap. I put the knot loop at about the midway point of the CL, slide the CL thru and tuck in the bight, cinch it up and darn if it doesn't come out just about right every time. For me, this also works with Lapp.

That's with GEs. I have very little bridge experience (JB's prorotype I'm testing) and am still working on the formula for that. Preliminary is that I want the head tree strap about neck high, and the foot a little over my head. Attach the head end CL/strap and then tie the foot end CL to strap so that without spreader bars the hammock is just a few inches off the ground, hang angle about 25 degrees. Putting in the spreaders makes the height just about right.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    And other applications... for tarp RL it makes a fine substitute for the bowline when tied on a loop, and it works great with Zing-it. Again, not having to feed thru the tail is a big advantage. Can throw it on in 1.6 seconds flat. This how I've used it for several months.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    Straps and Beetle
    Looks like a slippery sheet bend to me. I've tied thousands of sheet bends in my days fishing.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Seadug View Post
    Looks like a slippery sheet bend to me. I've tied thousands of sheet bends in my days fishing.
    Except it isn't....

Diagram from jeff-oh's post above, with a couple of added highlights:

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I like not having to pull 12' of strap through the CL...
    Worth trying me thinks.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Images
    Think the sheet bend would hold? It seems like basically the same thing but with the ability to run the strap through the loop to make adjusting easier.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Tried this at home...

Certainly like how it comes apart, but you have to be spot on with setup given the lack of adjustability..
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WBRR OR WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly or WB CB
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, LLG, CDQ
    Suspension
    Becket, WB Buckles
    I just tried it at home this evening. I already had my hammock hanging with the becket hitch and just changed over the foot end to this. I do miss the adjustment ability that is part of the Becket, but also found it easier to hold my hammock up to a position and tie it than I did with the j-bend. Laid in the hammock for about a half an hour and released it. It seems a bit easier to release than the Becket, but you need to be holding on to your hammock to keep it from falling on the ground.

I might continue using the Becket on one end and this on the other just to see if it grows on me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    Think the sheet bend would hold? It seems like basically the same thing but with the ability to run the strap through the loop to make adjusting easier.
    Becket hitch is same as slippery sheet bend. It's called a becket hitch when tied to closed eye like the continuous loop on hammock.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by publicalias View Post
    I just tried it at home this evening. I already had my hammock hanging with the becket hitch and just changed over the foot end to this. I do miss the adjustment ability that is part of the Becket, but also found it easier to hold my hammock up to a position and tie it than I did with the j-bend. Laid in the hammock for about a half an hour and released it. It seems a bit easier to release than the Becket, but you need to be holding on to your hammock to keep it from falling on the ground.

I might continue using the Becket on one end and this on the other just to see if it grows on me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I've got about 25 nights on it now and have had no problems using Kevlar tree straps and Amsteel CLs.

Best technique for releasing it: Hold tail in right hand, hammock CL in left hand with left index finger hooked over the standing end of the strap, pulling the tail away from the hooked index finger. This simultaneously loosens the CL and pulls out the slipped bight, and the remaining fingers are holding the hammock CL so it doesn't end up dangling in the muck. Releases very easily this way.

To get correct height first time, almost every time: Trees 15-18 ft apart, with head end tree strap about 6' off the ground and foot end about 7-7.5' high. Attach head end strap to hammock CL about 3.5' from the tree. The Trick: Pull the foot end hammock CL and tree strap together such that they meet just under your chin, then lay the strap over the CL and finish the Lapp by pulling the tag bight thru the CL and cinch. This always seems as if it's going end up too high but darn if it doesn't come out almost perfect (or at least acceptable) every time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast