Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Costco Down Throw with an added layer?

I'm new to HF and have searched the DIY section but can't seem to find an answer to this question. Sorry if it's been covered somewhere already.

Has anyone used one Costco down throw with an added sewn on layer of Climashield and nylon? If yes, how did it work for you? If no, how do you think this would work? I'm going to be hiking the North Coast Trail on Vancouver Island in July. Nighttime temperatures can get to 9C (48F) but if a storm is blowing it could get colder. I'm worried that a one CDT as an under quilt and one as a top quilt will not be enough.

I'm an experience sewist so I thought of adding a layer of Climashield and nylon to both the UQ and the TQ to increase warmth. Would the added layer just crush the down making it less warm? If you thought this would work, which layer should be next to me on the top quilt and which layer should be closest to me on the under quilt? is there something else I can do to up the warmth of the quilts?

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    I have a CDT UQ that has a second layer that snaps in. I almost think a second layer of blanket would be cheaper. Possibly lighter as well. I use kam snaps to attach them. I can't find pics of it, but having it modular like that allows me one underquilt with one suspension and two legit temp ranges. It's pretty great. Wish I had some pictures handy. I know I have some posted somewhere here on the forum. Let us know what you do and how it works.

Cheers,
    The Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Check this out...

Hammock
    1.2 Robic DIY
    Tarp
    Winter M. Silpoly
    Insulation
    Apex 40F TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I run an Apex UQ/TQ. If temps are mid or high 40's or I'm going to be near a lake I bring a CDT that's been cut in half. I loosen the UQ a hair and smoosh the CDT in there along the diagonal. Another quarter inch of insulation is appreciated. Last time I went out like that everyone else with their 40F UQ's said they were a bit chilly at points through the night. It was a windy lake camp site and expected to be mid 40's before any wind chill. I was warm enough to mostly sleep through the night with the extra insulation. Long enough to boost my back and core as well as cover most of my legs with extra insulation.

A few camsnaps on the TQ means I can snap a second one in place there too if I need to. An extra snap along the middle means I can also take the CDT and wear it like a simple shawl while cooking or eating. It was my compromise on expected temp ranges. I pay a small weight penalty bringing one but if I don't need it to sleep I can use it like a shawl in camp. If I do need it the weight penalty is about the same as having a deeper rated sleeping kit. In this case though adding the extra 5 or 10F to my range is cheap and pretty light and means I don't have yet another bag to buy or make.

I know it's not exactly the way you would approach it but kind of smashing the two things together works fairly well for me. Don't see why the reverse wouldn't work about the same.

Thanks for the link! I did see that but post but was hoping to make both an UQ and a TQ. I think, though, that I may have to use the two CDT for just the under quilt. I saw a post where the writer used stretch mesh instead of the clew system and that seemed much easier to me.

I am such a noob!! I wrote a response and it has disappeared into the ether!! My luck it will show up in some random thread! And my above response was supposed to be to P-Dub's post! Yeeesh.

I'm rethinking my idea and realizing that I'll probably have to use the two CDT just for the UQ. I like the idea of being able to snap them together for flexibility.

Thanks for your help everyone. I'll let you know how this goes!
    Last edited by BlueOwl; 02-28-2019 at 08:11.

Hammock
    HG
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG/AGGTQ SLDUQ/UQP
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiderwhoopi
    There's some great tutorials. The best one I found was from a site called Seroc. I used his construction methods with great results. To make the underquilt warmer you can shift all the down and make it a 3/4 length. For the top quilt you're right in that it will not be warm enough. You might consider cannibalizing an old down garment that you no longer use or buying a couple ounces of down from Dutchware. You could conceivably use extra stuffing to make a full length underquilt as well. What you'll get is a lighter system then the layered system .Cheers.

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    Check this out...
    Jeez! I forgot about this one... It's a great suggestion!

Cheers,
    The Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueOwl View Post
    [...]
    I'm rethinking my idea and realizing that I'll probably have to use the two CDT just for the UQ. I like the idea of being able to snap them together for flexibility.
    [...]
    I made a two layered UQ that snapped together. Recently I realized that I never ended up using just one layer so I ended up cutting off the snaps and sewing the two layers together; I like it much better now and it is much less fiddly. I left a 6" gap with a snap to close it so that I can turn it inside out to aid in washing and drying when the need arises.
    Last edited by jabraso; 02-28-2019 at 12:16. Reason: added hyperlink

Great suggestions everyone!
    Baby Bear, do you have a link for the site you mentioned? I googled but nothing about hammocks or making your own gear showed up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast