Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Awe. YOU ARE A GREAT DAD. These times will be top memories for both of you. I fondly remember my first trips with my daughter. Now a teenager I can see the self confidence she has with dealing with life's challenges and conflicts. These were forged in meeting the challenges presented by our camping trips. (Rain, cold, cooking, even just going to the bathroom in the backcountry builds the ability to just deal with it)... and it all starts with these fun easy trips to the local park. Also, don't dismiss the quiet time just sitting together at the fire once the marshmallows are put away. The bonding that happens is priceless.

Let the magic happen. Enjoy.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    And don't forget the jiffy pop popcorn! It always worked wonders with my 9 year old daughter in her early trips.

Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk
    HA!!! I was at the Great Miami Outfitters FBH, a few weeks ago. nearly 50 adults were transported back to childhood when someone brought out a Jiffy pop. Not great popcorn, but there is something about letting them shake it over the fire and watching that foil inflate.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH 30D Hex
    Insulation
    CRO 30*TQ/20*UQ
    Suspension
    DW Bettle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Awe. YOU ARE A GREAT DAD. These times will be top memories for both of you. I fondly remember my first trips with my daughter. Now a teenager I can see the self confidence she has with dealing with life's challenges and conflicts. These were forged in meeting the challenges presented by our camping trips. (Rain, cold, cooking, even just going to the bathroom in the backcountry builds the ability to just deal with it)... and it all starts with these fun easy trips to the local park. Also, don't dismiss the quiet time just sitting together at the fire once the marshmallows are put away. The bonding that happens is priceless.

Let the magic happen. Enjoy.
    My 8 yo daughter would be going if she didn’t have stuff going on Friday and a birthday party Saturday morning. We shoot barebow archery together and it’s been fun to watch her grow and mature, working through the challenges of focus, mental toughness and dealing with her self-imposes pressure. Lancaster Archery Supply has an awesome program for youth shooters. Just good to have activities you can enjoy with your kids. My daughter shot her first roll of 35mm film this summer with a full manual camera from the 70s. We fish, bike ride, and generally try to minimize TV and don’t own a gaming system.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    HA!!! I was at the Great Miami Outfitters FBH, a few weeks ago. nearly 50 adults were transported back to childhood when someone brought out a Jiffy pop. Not great popcorn, but there is something about letting them shake it over the fire and watching that foil inflate.
    I still take Jiffy pop to the cabin where there’s no running water or electricity. You’re right about it not being great popcorn, but it’s an easy snack.

Hammock
    HG
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG/AGGTQ SLDUQ/UQP
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiderwhoopi
    I would suggest you do two or three trial runs with your gear set up so that you don't spend the whole time frustrated trying to get the hammock hung right. Spending two hours setting up camp cursing under your breath while he sits there and watches you is a sure way to unfun

Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    I've taken my 6 yo daughter out a several times. A spreader bar is nice to keep them close and feeling safe. I would suggest a hammock with an integrated net. Since kids aren't known to stay still in their sleep the net helps to keep blankets, sleeping bag, pillows, stuffed animals, glow sticks, flashlight, socks, hat, crayons, and of course the kid all in the hammock and out of the dirt. When my daughter was 4 I caught her playing in her hammock (Amazon 8ft integrated net) with it turned over and actually laying in the net which held her weight surprisingly well (with the zipper closed of course). I've thought about putting an integrated net made out of RSBTR's new MONOLITE mesh on a double layer hammock to make a bombproof kid hammock.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH 30D Hex
    Insulation
    CRO 30*TQ/20*UQ
    Suspension
    DW Bettle Buckles
    I
    Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    I would suggest you do two or three trial runs with your gear set up so that you don't spend the whole time frustrated trying to get the hammock hung right. Spending two hours setting up camp cursing under your breath while he sits there and watches you is a sure way to unfun
    It’s not rocket science. I built a stand and have slept in the hammock. Both kids have been in them and fallen asleep for a nap. I don’t get the pessimism or assumption that it takes a PhD to get this right. It’s a couple straps and hanging a tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by jabraso View Post
    I've taken my 6 yo daughter out a several times. A spreader bar is nice to keep them close and feeling safe. I would suggest a hammock with an integrated net. Since kids aren't known to stay still in their sleep the net helps to keep blankets, sleeping bag, pillows, stuffed animals, glow sticks, flashlight, socks, hat, crayons, and of course the kid all in the hammock and out of the dirt. When my daughter was 4 I caught her playing in her hammock (Amazon 8ft integrated net) with it turned over and actually laying in the net which held her weight surprisingly well (with the zipper closed of course). I've thought about putting an integrated net made out of RSBTR's new MONOLITE mesh on a double layer hammock to make a bombproof kid hammock.
    All set there. Chameleon and Hennessy hammocks both have bug nets.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH 30D Hex
    Insulation
    CRO 30*TQ/20*UQ
    Suspension
    DW Bettle Buckles
    I
    Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    It’s not rocket science. I built a stand and have slept in the hammock. Both kids have been in them and fallen asleep for a nap. I don’t get the pessimism or assumption that it takes a PhD to get this right. It’s a couple straps and hanging a tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by jabraso View Post
    All set there. Chameleon and Hennessy hammocks both have bug nets.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH 30D Hex
    Insulation
    CRO 30*TQ/20*UQ
    Suspension
    DW Bettle Buckles
    Change of plans based on the weather. Not worried about the temps, but the precipitation is expected to be up to 100% chance for most of the night with it starting as early as 7pm. Yes, it will be dark by then, but the temps are supposed to be mid-30s, which means rain. Not trying to be limited to the hammock that early in the evening. I'm not interested in going for a hike with the flashlights in the rain and there's good chance of rain in the morning when we'd be tearing down and hiking out. Also concerned that my hex tarp won’t give very good coverage to both us hanging side-by-side.

Temps will be several degrees warmer on Saturday evening and little to no chance of precipitation, so we'll just push it back a day.
    Last edited by jtkratzer; 03-01-2019 at 08:45.

Pack some glow sticks. I use them anytime I have kids camping. It's an easy way to mark where the hammock is without the light keeping me up.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH 30D Hex
    Insulation
    CRO 30*TQ/20*UQ
    Suspension
    DW Bettle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by TWCub View Post
    Pack some glow sticks. I use them anytime I have kids camping. It's an easy way to mark where the hammock is without the light keeping me up.
    I normally have those in the camper, but didn't think of bringing them this time. Thanks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12