Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH 30D Hex
    Insulation
    CRO 30*TQ/20*UQ
    Suspension
    DW Bettle Buckles

First hammock camping trip, taking my 6 yo

My six year old son and I are going to do a local overnight hang together. He’s pumped. Need to pick up a Beetle buckle set and a spreader bar from Dutch. We’re camping at an established site where we can have a small fire and if we need to bail, we’re only a couple minutes from home.

Thinking about picking up the ridgeline lights for my son. Planning to heat water for a Nalgene in a sock to throw in his bag for extra warmth. Won’t be a long trip. Set up before dark, have a small fire, have snacks, etc. Other than the obvious camping stuff, what are some things specific to hammock camping with young(er) children that made things better/more fun/etc?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Nothing is more fun than playing with fire, especially if you have a bag of marshmallows.
    Lucky you, by the way! Enjoy it!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Marshmallows to singe in the flames and a torch to spotlight the local frog population...or anything else that's out & about.

As long as dads around, his tummy's full & he's warm & dry...my 6yo lad is easy to please.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Better than marshmallows? An AL Group Hang favorite- Roasted Peeps! It’s close enough to Easter you might find some in the stores.

“NightOps” with the flashlight was always fun with my kids. See what you could spy at night.

Charlotte

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I hope you have sufficient insulation, at least a pad to go with his bag. One cold night can turn a kid against hammock camping for life. I never used the hot-water Nalgene for my kids - it didn't work for me. After a few hours you got a lukewarm bottle of water that does nothing but annoy.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie and LL TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    In my experience, kids don't tell you they're cold until they are really cold. A couple of hot hands made a HUGE difference for my daughter at the last fall MAHHA. Anything below 45* F and I pack a bunch as they are so handy. I open them way before I think they may be needed and they are good and warm when called upon. Beyond that, as others have mentioned, the draw of a campfire to children is really amazing. Oh, and the spreader bar setup worked well for being able to give the feeling of security. I could reach right over and comfort my daughter that I was right there.

dualhang.jpg

Hammock
    11' Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    Chill gorilla
    Insulation
    Foam pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Kids mood while camping can be persuaded greatly by their parents moods. So stay positive and keep it light. Let them have their own flashlight to keep with them. That often helps them feel more secure and they have fun with it.
    Another thing I do is keep a whistle on them at all times, whether just running around the campsite exploring just in case they would go too far and get confused.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH 30D Hex
    Insulation
    CRO 30*TQ/20*UQ
    Suspension
    DW Bettle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I hope you have sufficient insulation, at least a pad to go with his bag. One cold night can turn a kid against hammock camping for life. I never used the hot-water Nalgene for my kids - it didn't work for me. After a few hours you got a lukewarm bottle of water that does nothing but annoy.
    Yep, we’re good. I’ve slept on the ground/outside/on a cot to know he/we both need insulation. Camping isn’t new, just the hammock part is, but insulation needs are similar to sleeping on a cot with heat loss underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by reznix View Post
    In my experience, kids don't tell you they're cold until they are really cold. A couple of hot hands made a HUGE difference for my daughter at the last fall MAHHA. Anything below 45* F and I pack a bunch as they are so handy. I open them way before I think they may be needed and they are good and warm when called upon. Beyond that, as others have mentioned, the draw of a campfire to children is really amazing. Oh, and the spreader bar setup worked well for being able to give the feeling of security. I could reach right over and comfort my daughter that I was right there.

dualhang.jpg
    We have a fire almost every time we’ve camped and we have a ring in the backyard. Spreader bar is primarily for him to be close and feel comfortable but also to fit under one tarp. I have three, but part of this trip is for him and I to go and spend time together. I have regular handwarmers as well as the adhesive body warmers.

Quote Originally Posted by Amaas View Post
    Kids mood while camping can be persuaded greatly by their parents moods. So stay positive and keep it light. Let them have their own flashlight to keep with them. That often helps them feel more secure and they have fun with it.
    Another thing I do is keep a whistle on them at all times, whether just running around the campsite exploring just in case they would go too far and get confused.
    Yeah, this is a laidback trip to have a fire, relax and spend a night outside. He has his own flashlight as we’ve been camping since he was three. This is one primitive site less than a two-mile walk from the house (we’re driving) to make sure we get there in time to set up before dark. There isn’t anything around like a typical campground with a playground. It’s a site in a nature preserve.

Nothing crazy planned, no wild activities. The good idea fairy is still secured in the cage.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    I would definitely get the ridge line lights!! 20180720_204252.jpg

And don't forget the jiffy pop popcorn! It always worked wonders with my 9 year old daughter in her early trips.

Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast