Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryRees View Post
    I am considering this as my first hammock. To be used for motorcycle camping. I am 80 kg and 1.85m. I side sleep.
    Will this be a disaster?

https://www.armyandoutdoors.co.nz/pr...eid=c1cd6099c5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes....you will be miserable. That's almost identical to the surplus hammock I started out with. I stayed with hammocks in spite of that piece of gear, not because of it. Do some research here on the forums and you will find that nearly any other setup will work better than the mil-spec knockoff. Even the "real thing" is terrible. It's just a flawed design.

Back to the original question....I started with a hennessy expedition model that was some kind of promotional item I sourced off Ebay almost 20 years ago now. Since then I've had other Hennessy versions, some homebuilts, a few cheapo other gathered ends off Ebay and Amazon. At the end of the day I've basically settled on my Ridgerunner (bridge style) from Warbonnet. For my age, weight, and type of camping I do (some backpacking/paddling and a lot of car camping) it fits the bill better than anything else I've had. I sleep comfortably in it when it's crazy hot with just a piece of blanket in the sleeve for some "insulation" or well below zero with a pad and down underquilt. It's the most versatile hammock I've ever owned.
    Last edited by zukiguy; 03-02-2019 at 17:46.

Why buy an expensive hammock?

Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Yes....you will be miserable. That's almost identical to the surplus hammock I started out with. I stayed with hammocks in spite of that piece of gear, not because of it. Do some research here on the forums and you will find that nearly any other setup will work better than the mil-spec knockoff. Even the "real thing" is terrible. It's just a flawed design.
    Thanks. I have reached the same conclusion after reviewing its specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GaryRees; 03-03-2019 at 02:23.

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon / Banyan
    Tarp
    Cubin fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ TQ / loco UQ
    The famous Dutch is setting me up....cant wait to see what I get. Now I have Christmas syndrome!!!

Already changed my profile to show the chameleon as my hammock haha

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH 30D Hex
    Insulation
    CRO 30*TQ/20*UQ
    Suspension
    DW Bettle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by OG Honey Badger View Post
    The famous Dutch is setting me up....cant wait to see what I get. Now I have Christmas syndrome!!!

Already changed my profile to show the chameleon as my hammock haha
    You’re in trouble. You found Dutch, and he found you. What else did you order?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
    Isn't that the truth. You know, Dutch allows direct deposit from your paycheck.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon / Banyan
    Tarp
    Cubin fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ TQ / loco UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
    LMAO! I bought the hammock, the bug net, the over cover, and the storage for inside the hammock. Not to mention a week ago I got the ridge line for my tarp and some Dutch bling for staking it out. Haha. My wife is like, really? And I just said, but it's dutch! Lol.

Dutch says he is going to trick me out too. I cant wait to find out what that means!

Ps I worked a bunch of overtime the past few weeks. No days off, and got a promotion in the military reserves. So I figured I'd reward myself with some hammock gear 😆

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH 30D Hex
    Insulation
    CRO 30*TQ/20*UQ
    Suspension
    DW Bettle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Isn't that the truth. You know, Dutch allows direct deposit from your paycheck.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I stopped by the other day and chatted for a few minutes. He handed me a sample like a dealer, “you like these, you know where to get more.” Out there creating addicts under the guise of getting people to enjoy nature and spending time together!

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon / Banyan
    Tarp
    Cubin fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ TQ / loco UQ
    Got my extra's. Dutch is awesome!

The hammock is great and I will do a much more detailed review on the differences between my outdoor vitals and my Dutchware Chameleon hammock. But my 5 quick first impressions after hanging it in my house and testing it out are as follows....(again not a detailed review at all)

1. The hammock fabric is MUCH more comfortable. By a lot.
    2. The extra weight and length that i was talking about is completely worth it. I didn't realize how much better of a lay i could get with more hammock.
    3. The ridge line IMO is a bit long. I didn't measure or go into depth with that but i did have to shorten it when hanging in my house. (I hung based on the ultimate hang calculator)
    4. The hooks to keep the under quilt where it needs to be work pretty good. Really useful for novice hangers where the fiddle factor has not been mastered haha. Also for people who move around a lot in there sleep its great.
    5. I'll post another thread up about this, and i don't think this is particular to only this hammock but...i found that with the dimensions given and my height, i can use some of the fabric in the middle to put a bit of a bend in my legs. I know normally that issue causes others to have a calf ridge pain but for some reason in this hammock it seems to work out just right to be on under my knees. Again, ill be posting another thread on that.

In short....those are 5 quick things that i noticed from setting it up and getting a good lay. Notice the versatility has yet to be a factor. I have not been outside with it so i wont know how many different accessories ill use until i actually take the thing for a spin.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OG Honey Badger View Post
    3. The ridge line IMO is a bit long. I didn't measure or go into depth with that but i did have to shorten it when hanging in my house. (I hung based on the ultimate hang calculator)
    That doesn't make any sense. First of all, the Hammock Hang Calculator doesn't even specify or try to calculate ridgeline length - you just enter how long your ridgeline is. Since the Chameleon (I assume you got a Chameleon) is 11 ft. long, the ridgeline is probably 83% of 11 ft., or 109.56 inches. So I'm not sure how you determined the ridgeline (which is fixed, not adjustable) was too long.

If your ridgeline was sagging, that is probably more a result of how you hung it, not because the ridgeline is too long (anchor points are probably too close together). I'm also curious how you shortened it since I can't think of any way of doing that, that isn't injurious to the ridgeline and/or the hammock. The hammock was designed with a fixed ridgeline because that is part of the design, and shortening it doesn't sound advisable.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 03-07-2019 at 21:24.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    That doesn't make any sense. First of all, the Hammock Hang Calculator doesn't even specify or try to calculate ridgeline length - you just enter how long your ridgeline is. Since the Chameleon (I assume you got a Chameleon) is 11 ft. long, the ridgeline is probably 83% of 11 ft., or 109.56 inches. So I'm not sure how you determined the ridgeline (which is fixed, not adjustable) was too long.

If your ridgeline was sagging, that is probably more a result of how you hung it, not because the ridgeline is too long (anchor points are probably too close together). I'm also curious how you shortened it since I can't think of any way of doing that, that isn't injurious to the ridgeline and/or the hammock. The hammock was designed with a fixed ridgeline because that is part of the design, and shortening it doesn't sound advisable.
    I agree with everything you suggested in your post, but one way to "shorten" a fixed ridgeline is simply to clip on a carabiner and wrap the line around it X number of times.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast