Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH 30D Hex
    Insulation
    CRO 30*TQ/20*UQ
    Suspension
    DW Bettle Buckles

UQ primary suspension - too long?

Probably a simple/easy question, but new to hammocks. Ordered quilts from two vendors to make sure I got a set in time for a trip. Both primary suspensions have excess shock cord that isn’t stretched at all when clipped onto the CLs. To get the quilt to lift against the hammock, it’s all secondary suspension. Looking at the biners, it seems I could just tie the knots differently to shorten the cordage. Is that typical/standard practice to need to make that kind of adjustment? I’ll try to get pictures tomorrow if anyone needs them.

I watched Shug’s video on adjusting the HG quilt, but not much covered on adjusting the primary. My quilts don’t hang nearly that high. I saw the bit at the end about wrapping around the whipping. I would like to get it as close to clip it on and lay down as possible to minimize the adjustments every hang.

Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    That's correct
    Tie a knot and you should be good to go

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
    Probably a simple/easy question, but new to hammocks. Ordered quilts from two vendors to make sure I got a set in time for a trip. Both primary suspensions have excess shock cord that isn’t stretched at all when clipped onto the CLs. To get the quilt to lift against the hammock, it’s all secondary suspension. Looking at the biners, it seems I could just tie the knots differently to shorten the cordage. Is that typical/standard practice to need to make that kind of adjustment? I’ll try to get pictures tomorrow if anyone needs them.

I watched Shug’s video on adjusting the HG quilt, but not much covered on adjusting the primary. My quilts don’t hang nearly that high. I saw the bit at the end about wrapping around the whipping. I would like to get it as close to clip it on and lay down as possible to minimize the adjustments every hang.

Thanks in advance.
    I did mention that the primary needs to lift the hammock up (unoccupied) higher than one may think. That is achieved by shortening the primary with knots to tighten it up...then re-clip the biner to achieve the proper fit to the length of your hammocks. Not too complicated.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH 30D Hex
    Insulation
    CRO 30*TQ/20*UQ
    Suspension
    DW Bettle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I did mention that the primary needs to lift the hammock up (unoccupied) higher than one may think. That is achieved by shortening the primary with knots to tighten it up...then re-clip the biner to achieve the proper fit to the length of your hammocks. Not too complicated.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Yep, wanted to confirm that adding knots, retrying, something like that was the ticket to get there. Watched your video before the quilts arrived and it was the only reason I had an idea of what right looked like. Thanks for the quick response.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Trying to adjust an UQ by yourself, in my opinion, is an exercise in futility. I have never been able to get my UQ adjusted by myself. I've always relied on an experienced hammock hanger to help me get the UQ adjusted.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH 30D Hex
    Insulation
    CRO 30*TQ/20*UQ
    Suspension
    DW Bettle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Trying to adjust an UQ by yourself, in my opinion, is an exercise in futility. I have never been able to get my UQ adjusted by myself. I've always relied on an experienced hammock hanger to help me get the UQ adjusted.
    Short of hauling my stuff to Dutch’s warehouse, I don’t know any experienced hangers. Sounds like the one of those really interesting CraigsList ads is about to come together.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Short of hauling my stuff to Dutch’s warehouse, I don’t know any experienced hangers. Sounds like the one of those really interesting CraigsList ads is about to come together.
    Same situation here, but I just make small adjustments and jump in and out to test/tweak as necessary. Works for me.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

You can also use self-timer mode or video yourself in the hammock. Here's an example attached, shot a couple of years ago when I was trying to get my DIY quilt to seal up on the ends. I've since replaced the grosgrain channel shown because of the accordion bunching that left small gaps. Pictures like this were helpful at the time. Compare yours to what you see on videos like Shug's where it's being done correctly and make yours look the same (not necessarily like mine).

uq1.jpg
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Short of hauling my stuff to Dutch’s warehouse
    Don't do it...Dutch's warehouse is a hammock hangers trap full of bling. If you stop by there you will spend all your money.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH 30D Hex
    Insulation
    CRO 30*TQ/20*UQ
    Suspension
    DW Bettle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Don't do it...Dutch's warehouse is a hammock hangers trap full of bling. If you stop by there you will spend all your money.
    How do you think I ended up in this predicament? I wish I wouldn’t have figured out he’s less than 10 minutes from work and about 15 from home. I need to go in today to pick up suspension items and a spreader bar to take my son camping this weekend.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast