11' Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    Chill gorilla
    Insulation
    Foam pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

New to hanging from Ohio

I have not been out in a hammock yet but plan to pick one up and start this spring. Going to try to soak up some information on it here until I go

Hammock
    Amok dramur xl
    Tarp
    Wb superfly
    Insulation
    Fjol xl pad
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Welcome. I am near Athens. There are quite a few fellow buckeyes on here. Good luck and enjoy all the knowledge and experience here. It’s been tremendously valuable to me.
    Until then. O-H

Welcome to the forums. Don't forget to browse the For Sale forum as well, since you're prowling for gear. Also, several vendors are or were having winter sales right now. My suggestion for starting out would be a 10 or 11 foot netless hammock and then grab one of the more inexpensive tarps. Use your sleeping bag and pad (assuming you already own both) and get outside and try it. You can figure out the expensive stuff later on after you have more experience and know what you need.

Your first purchase, however, should be Derek Hansen's book, "The Ultimate Hang." It'll save you money, time and aggravation starting out. See his website of the same name as well for his Hammock 101 section: http://theultimatehang.com/
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    My DIY hammock
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Welcome to the forum! Lots of OH hangers here. Be sure to look for OH hangouts in the trip forum.

Hammock
    Yukon Vista
    Tarp
    DW 12' Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econs
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Welcome to the forums! Former Buckeye here. Cincy area. As sidney stated the ultimate hang 2 is an excellent book. I wish I had bought it sooner. Would have saved me alot of headache.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Not all those who wander are lost.

Hammock
    11' Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    Chill gorilla
    Insulation
    Foam pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by 11x View Post
    Welcome. I am near Athens. There are quite a few fellow buckeyes on here. Good luck and enjoy all the knowledge and experience here. It’s been tremendously valuable to me.
    Until then. O-H
    Nice, you're a lot closer to all the good dispersed camping areas. I'm in NW ohio so it's 3-4 hour drives for me when I go

Hammock
    11' Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    Chill gorilla
    Insulation
    Foam pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Welcome to the forums. Don't forget to browse the For Sale forum as well, since you're prowling for gear. Also, several vendors are or were having winter sales right now. My suggestion for starting out would be a 10 or 11 foot netless hammock and then grab one of the more inexpensive tarps. Use your sleeping bag and pad (assuming you already own both) and get outside and try it. You can figure out the expensive stuff later on after you have more experience and know what you need.

Your first purchase, however, should be Derek Hansen's book, "The Ultimate Hang." It'll save you money, time and aggravation starting out. See his website of the same name as well for his Hammock 101 section: http://theultimatehang.com/
    I'll have to check that book out. I was planning on getting a used 11' hammock with bugnet and just using a cheapo regular tarp the first few times until I know what works for me.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Welcome. Cincy here. If your looking for a good quality new 11' Dutchware Gear is having a sale on the 11' netless hammocks for $30.00. Hard to go wrong there. Ohio also has a lot of good Meetup outdoor groups as well as an active group hang here on the activities page.

Quote Originally Posted by Amaas View Post
    I'll have to check that book out. I was planning on getting a used 11' hammock with bugnet and just using a cheapo regular tarp the first few times until I know what works for me.
    That sounds like a very good plan. Once you've hung a time or two and have more questions, don't hesitate to ask them and/or search around on the forums because they've probably been asked before. Main thing is get outside and have fun with it. Perfect gear is always two weeks away.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaas View Post
    I have not been out in a hammock yet but plan to pick one up and start this spring. Going to try to soak up some information on it here until I go
    To get a crash course in hammockology:
    Watch Shug’s Ten part video series on YouTube,
    How to hang a hammock, tarps, insulation, through ten

Attend at least two local group hammock hangs—so you can see all kinds of rigs firsthand.

In my opinion...there are two main problems many new hammock campers encounter. CRP and CBS
    CRP Calf Ridge Pressure—Shug has a video on that too. Watch that video twice.
    Generally shorter hammocks are more prone to CRP than longer hammocks. Many hammocks sold online either lie about their length or include parts of suspension when specifying length.
    My advise is to get a hammock at least 11 feet long by 5 feet wide. Sometimes it is best to get a hammock 11 feet long by 6 feet wide, or just under 6 feet wide.

CBS Cold Butt Syndrome—insulation is required both top and bottom. If you start with a pad for bottom insulation—get a pad WIDE enough to keep your shoulders warm and to keep you from sliding off while asleep.
    If you have enough money get underquilt and topquilt for maximum comfort and warmth. Possibly a 20 degree set—top and bottom quilts.
    If you don’t have enough money at beginning—do asbestos you can—and no one will fault you for getting out in piney woods in your hammock!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast