Hammock
    Autumn Outdoor Gear
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Duster
    Insulation
    LSOH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    This was my solution to prevent my UCR’s from slipping. I spliced them with locked brummels on both ends of the piece that the hammock is connected to. (The green Amsteel in the photo)

Then I made an 8 inch continuous loop out of 1.7 dyneema to use as a prusik and also made another smaller continuous loop sandwiches between the prussic and the UCR to use as a handle. Then I connected that prusik to the locked brummel with a larkshead.

You pull the prusik to keep everything tensioned.

cc44c04abfbd026f87ac12d359d3953a.jpg
    My name is Anne Marie and I make things.
    www.autumnoutdoorgear.com

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Coldautumndays, Hard time seeing what you are describing. Easy to see the prussic and pull loop,but do not see the UCR or exactly what is going on 2 inches to the right of the prussic.

Thank you all for your replies.

Hammock
    Hex 2.4 gathered
    Tarp
    Xenon wide asym
    The problem is most people make their prussiks on their ucr with the same rope as the ucr itself. The prussik is only efficient if the rope Its tied with is smaller than the rope Its tied to. if they are the same size, then add a continuous loop and tie the prussik around both the continuous loop and the ice to make the prussik work much better.

like this photo:
    it doesn't matter what's right of prussik, he showing the loop inside of prussik will make it hold better
    My worst night in a hammock was still better than my best night in a tent!!!!

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Mine are much the same as yours. However I have a few more inches between where the bury exits and the prussik. I think with yours so close the prussik isn't grabbing properly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by daneaustin3; 02-23-2019 at 17:45.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefty Hanger View Post
    The problem is most people make their prussiks on their ucr with the same rope as the ucr itself. The prussik is only efficient if the rope Its tied with is smaller than the rope Its tied to. if they are the same size, then add a continuous loop and tie the prussik around both the continuous loop and the ice to make the prussik work much better.

like this photo:
    it doesn't matter what's right of prussik, he showing the loop inside of prussik will make it hold better
    The problem is most definitely NOT using the same rope for the prusik. Take a look at my photo, then take a look at the thread I linked. I've been on UCR's made exactly that way since shortly after that thread was posted, still using the first set I made all these years later. Overly complicating these doesn't solve anything....

Is milking the bury improperly causing the slippage for those that have that issue?? What's the process people are using to milk their buries?? These threads come up fairly regularly and usually with newer hangers, could that be part of the problem??

Hammock
    Hex 2.4 gathered
    Tarp
    Xenon wide asym
    Because my prussik is zingit on 1/8" amsteel I don't even have to milk my burries. Adjust my hammock and hop right in. No milking necessary.

IMG_20190223_205206174.jpg

Never slips,.. and because it's so close to bury(which is only 8") I can make my ucr shorter than a whoopy sling. I'm 315lbs now, but that ucr held me when I was 370lbs. all because the prussik holds so well.
    Last edited by Hefty Hanger; 02-23-2019 at 21:19.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I used amsteel and dynaglide ucrs for two seasons. Never had one slip.

I use a whipping knot at the end of the bury where most use a prussik. The whipping knot puts just enough bite on the end of the bury that it doesn't slip.

Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Hex 2.4 gathered
    Tarp
    Xenon wide asym
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post

I use a whipping knot at the end of the bury where most use a prussik. The whipping knot puts just enough bite on the end of the bury that it doesn't slip.

how easy does that slide? I had something like that a long time ago and I had issues with it binding up from time to time.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    The problem is most definitely NOT using the same rope for the prusik. Take a look at my photo, then take a look at the thread I linked. I've been on UCR's made exactly that way since shortly after that thread was posted, still using the first set I made all these years later. Overly complicating these doesn't solve anything....

Is milking the bury improperly causing the slippage for those that have that issue?? What's the process people are using to milk their buries?? These threads come up fairly regularly and usually with newer hangers, could that be part of the problem??
    I do not believe improper milking is the issue. Not sure how complicated a method you may be referring to. Nor, is s new hanger a part of the problem. As for milking method. I push the bury up the core line. The core line is attached to the tree. The bury is then milked down toward the tag end of the line for the initial set. it is the milked up toward the prussic and the the prussic is pulled tight, then milked back toward the tag end again. Finally I start in the middle and milk it both ways verifying the prussic is tight.

My issue could be a Amsteel weave problem. When I first used these UCR's I had an issue with the line loosing a fair amount of its diameter and lengthening as the weave was set. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...han-I-expected

This line set and loss in diameter could have reduced the contact area enough that the load that is being put on it is greater than the friction capability in the bury.

Hammock
    RSBTR Trail Lair clone
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ HG JRB AHE
    Suspension
    Myers Hybrid Dynee
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post

I sure wish you or sqidmark or someone would diagram how you terminate those constrictors and integrate those whipping knots. Those are fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast