G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    CCF promotes condensation, so it may add to your cold butt.
    Try some fleece shorts or stack a mini quilt?
    Heat packs and the hot water bottle should help also.
    Is there a chance your quilts insulation has broken down? Or the shock cord has loosened?
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Have you tried VB pants with or without some CCF under your butt? Or CCF with or without VB pants? 1 sq. ft of CCF in the hammock with you just under the butt. A small size pad like that might also work under the hammock, on top of the UQ.
    VB "Shorts" could help. Maybe cut down an old pair of wind pants and spray with Silicone?
    Moving the CCF pad from where I have been using it under the hammock to directly under me should help by eliminating any air gap.
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    A bit to Lumpy
    Last edited by millergear; 02-21-2019 at 09:21.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Millergear, all good advice above.
    I would not have pad under hammock-between hammock and underquilt. This can cause underquilt to have air gaps.
    Pad, if used, should be in hammock or inside double layer hammock.
    Your best bet is to get a zero degree underquilt and rig it so that it lifts empty hammock one foot above height of hammock. Shug shows this in his videos. Also secondary underquilt suspension and end cords must be adjusted at each use.
    Again Shug’s videos are a goldmine!

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    First of all, if you're getting out and hammock camping at 79, you're my new hero!

As far as cold butt, is the UQ sagging away from the hammock and creating a pocket of dead air? I find (after Just Bill pointed it out) that's what's happening with my quilt on my bridge. It doesn't really show up as an issue until the temperatures drop into the low 30s. To combat it, I've put a CCF pad under my torso at times. One other measure that works wonders is Hot Hands chemical heating pads. One small one placed on or near my femoral artery will keep me a lot warmer. I've also placed one near the small of my back sometimes. Just that little bit of dependable heat source makes the difference.
    -
    Probably is some sagging. W/O a differential cut UQ a perfect fit is tricky.
    -I have been using chemical heating pads for many years. But until now never needed them till below the 20's.

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Millergear, all good advice above.
    I would not have pad under hammock-between hammock and underquilt. This can cause underquilt to have air gaps.
    Pad, if used, should be in hammock or inside double layer hammock.
    Your best bet is to get a zero degree underquilt and rig it so that it lifts empty hammock one foot above height of hammock. Shug shows this in his videos. Also secondary underquilt suspension and end cords must be adjusted at each use.
    Again Shug’s videos are a goldmine!
    - Will do Pad inside
    - With a 0 Degree at 40 degrees would be a Sauna bath for the rest of me!
    - I have some options for extra targeted insulation. A Down Throw between Hammock and UQ. Add my Poncho Liner UQ; over or under the UQ? More Gear to deal with.
    - Swap my Potomac for a differential cut UQ to ensure a tight fit. Still need added Butt insulation

I have used most of the suggested remedies for years with good results. This excessive CBS is a recent issue. My Physiology has changed: fatter Butt, slower circulation (age and Cancer suppression drug)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by millergear View Post
    VB "Shorts" could help. Maybe cut down an old pair of wind pants and spray with Silicone?
    Moving the CCF pad from where I have been using it under the hammock to directly under me should help by eliminating any air gap.
    While trying to figure it out, why not just use pants? Preferably, the least breathable that you have available, some sort of rain gear, or spend just a few $ on some Frog Toggs or equivalent at WM or online. But, you might not be able to get just pants, so just whatever you have available? I know WPB rain gear is supposed to be breathable- and not a VB - but there are many reports of breathable rain gear ( might vary with how breathable, or the brand) functioning pretty well as a VB. Wear with only thin layers under the raingear, with most insulation outside the rain pants. Otherwise you risk condensation inside your insulation, which might prove a big negative. If the VB is kept about as warm as skin, without over heating, any moisture accumulation should be very minimal if any. If you do get a little, it won't make ypu cold, since it can neither evaporate nor get into your main insulation.

Even if it did not help, it would be a quick, easy free experiment, assuming you have some rain pants to try. Once, Dejoha("The Ultimate Hang" guy) wrapped his lower body in his tarp in an approaching hypothermia situation, with great results.

The pad you are using( most pads are VBs), is it directly under the hammock, and not between the UQ and say an UQP? The latter(under an UQ) might make things worse, due to condensation. But yes, either way, I think butt directly on the pad might give more warmth. And inside the hammock is less likely to interfere with UQ fit, maybe. Some folks report lots of condensation problems with pad use. But that is just one more problem that VB pants would prevent. It's worth a shot in a 1 night experiment with safe bail out available!

Hammock
    WBB1.7 / XLC1.7
    Tarp
    Chinnok 12x14
    Insulation
    Wookie20/Leighlo40
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by millergear View Post
    - Will do Pad inside
    - With a 0 Degree at 40 degrees would be a Sauna bath for the rest of me!
    - I have some options for extra targeted insulation. A Down Throw between Hammock and UQ. Add my Poncho Liner UQ; over or under the UQ? More Gear to deal with.
    - Swap my Potomac for a differential cut UQ to ensure a tight fit. Still need added Butt insulation

I have used most of the suggested remedies for years with good results. This excessive CBS is a recent issue. My Physiology has changed: fatter Butt, slower circulation (age and Cancer suppression drug)
    I have used my Poncho liner over my UQ with great success.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe you need to wash your UQs with a good down wash and fluff them in the dryer to get the down back to it's best possible condition.
    Also migrate your down or most of it in the area of your buttocks.
    Could help.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    I have recently worn some cyclist shorts which have a specific integrated pad under the butt. That kinda distributes pressure evenly in the area. When wearing it, you do not feel your butt anymore. Maybe that would help ?
    Although I am not sure the pressure of the hammock applies in the same spot. So maybe you could just cut a piece of foam pad or another more breathable hard fabric and insert it inside your night underwear.

Some images here : https://www.google.com/search?q=cale...w=1232&bih=543

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast