Hammock
    Dutch net less wide
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20's / SLD TW
    Suspension
    Straps/no harware
    I've been using the stuff sack that comes with the cheap bag chairs you get at Walmart as my clothes bag/ knee pillow. Its a long and narrow tube, so it doesn't take many clothes to fill it up enough to fit comfortably beneath your knees. Works good..
    Last edited by chromedome; 02-20-2019 at 18:32. Reason: Add pic

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    I noticed pronounced calf ridge all of a sudden, after many nights nights with n issue. I measured my SRL, and found it had stretched significantly (11 foot hammock, and SRL had stretched to 117.5”). I replaced the ridgeline with a pre-stretched amsteel SRL of 110” length, and VIOLA...problem solved

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Econ
    Suspension
    DH Buckles
    Images
    I fold a torso length Thermarest self inflating pad in half and rest my feet on it. Flattens everything out and it stays flat like your feet feel on a mattress. I get bad Charlie horse cramps, so that and Hyland Leg Cramps (quinine) work for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB xlc
    Tarp
    Winter dream
    Insulation
    EE, CRO
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Hey Elmer, I went down and met old Gringo this weekend and we discussed this very subject. I don't know if this will help but it don't cost anything to try and it don't weigh any more. I battle the same issue with my wbbb xlc. The only place I have gotten a good hang, was one particular set of trees in my yard and I noticed the other day, that when I hang there, my ridgeline was quite loose, actually very loose, it was drooping! So out of curiosity i paced off the distance between the trees and it was just under 6 paces(my paces, a good pace shorter than i have used in the woods). I also noticed the my suspension was closer to 40 or so degrees. Now i haven't had the chance to duplicate it in a camping situation. So my thought is a shorter distance between trees and a steeper angle may help. Don't know but I'm not ready

Quote Originally Posted by Ol`wooly View Post
    Hey Elmer, I went down and met old Gringo this weekend and we discussed this very subject. I don't know if this will help but it don't cost anything to try and it don't weigh any more. I battle the same issue with my wbbb xlc. The only place I have gotten a good hang, was one particular set of trees in my yard and I noticed the other day, that when I hang there, my ridgeline was quite loose, actually very loose, it was drooping! So out of curiosity i paced off the distance between the trees and it was just under 6 paces(my paces, a good pace shorter than i have used in the woods). I also noticed the my suspension was closer to 40 or so degrees. Now i haven't had the chance to duplicate it in a camping situation. So my thought is a shorter distance between trees and a steeper angle may help. Don't know but I'm not ready
    The distance between the trees had no effect other than the height at which you have to place the suspension. The hang angle was the key. That's certainly more hammock sag than most would choose but if you were indeed comfortable, why not. Of course that also means you'll have a lot of net droop unless you were to shorten the SRL. Might want to try it by wrapping the SRL around a biner until it's snug enough to hold the net up.

The other thing that you might play with is getting the foot end really high if you haven't tried that already. It puts you into a different place in the hammock body and it might also work.

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    I've tried everything. The only thing that works is a knee pillow.

It seems like an inelegant hack in comparison to the beautiful simplicity of a gathered-end hammock. But it works.

When camping, my knee pillow is three partially inflated balloons inside the dry bag I use to carry quilts and other stuff. Again, it's inelegant, but it weighs virtually nothing, and it works.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, WBRR, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB SF / CB
    Insulation
    HG UQ's LL+HG TQ's
    Suspension
    CB's/TurtleTies

Requesting assistance from folks who have conquered calf ridge

The length of the ridgeline and the height differential between the head and foot end of the hammock are the best ways to achieve control for a consistent hang. Considering 100 Ton's success posted earlier and my experience extending the ridgeline on my BBXLC, I recommend trying an adjustable ridgeline. Over flat ground dial in the right length and end heights of the hammock, record the distances, and lock it in. Then unless you gain or lose weight, and/or the hammock material stretches over time you should be able to achieve a consistent set up. Hope this helps. Good luck
    "When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power. The world will know peace." ~ Jimi Hendrix
    "No matter where you go, there you are." ~ Buckaroo Banzai

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    It still happens from time to time.
    Try placing your buttocks in different spots right or left.
    Shug
    My modification of this is to move until the "calf ridge" is positioned behind my knees or, at least, closer to my knees.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
    John Steinbeck

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Get yourself a bridge hammock and be done with it
    I second TrailSlugs suggestion...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    1) purchased a hammocktent 90 degree.

2) lengthened the ridge line in WBBB XLCs and DH Sparrow.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast